Guidance on a Sleep EZ latex

I really like the idea of the layers on the Sleep EZ, and am not in a position to test latex mattresses. I wrote the following to Sleep EZ, but also wanted to get input from users here. Also, I am leaning toward the 10":

I am preparing to buy a latex mattress, and am interested in your 10" and 13" models. I have never used a latex mattress (but have a latex pillow that I am very happy with), and have only been able to try memory foam (which I don’t like due to limitations on side-to-side movement). Of tempurpedics, I did not like the base model (Contour?) I tried, as it was too hard, not the Cloud Supreme which was to soft. The Cloud Select seemed about right, except for the viscousness of the foam. I think that puts me near the center of firmness preferences, but I would like your recommendations in regard to the two models.

My wife and I are both 64. I am 6’, 180 lbs. I generally sleep more on my side, but also on my back. I have some bursitis in my shoulders which can cause pain when on my side. My wife is 5’2", 120 lbs., and sleeps similarly, but perhaps more on her back than I do. She also has scoliosis which results in lots of back pain, particularly from inactivity (she is happiest when walking). She also likes a firm bed, but perhaps should have a somewhat softer option than myself. She uses a memory foam pillow that was given to her, but doesn’t really love it. And, I don’t know if it is relevant for latex, but she also uses a heating pad nightly before going to sleep. Thanks for your suggestions.

Hi augeydogy,

When you are considering an online purchase … the most effective source of advice and guidance will always come from a more detailed conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced manufacturer (which SleepEz is). They know more about the details of their mattresses and the options they provide than anyone and are much better at helping their customers make the most suitable layer choices than anyone else (including me) based on the more detailed information you provide them on a phone call and on their experience and the “averages” of their customers that may be similar to you (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

I would avoid emails when it comes to something as important as choosing a mattress because there can be too many “it depends” in the answers to questions such as the ones you asked. Emails can’t provide the more nuanced information that takes more specific questions (that you may not know to ask) or more rapid back and forth “interactive” conversations that making a mattress choice will often require. You can cover more ground in a half hour conversation than you can in days or weeks of back and forth emails.

Phoenix