Guidance on latex mattress purchase

So, I’ve posted before, however now I have the fund available to purchase a mattress of reasonable costs. My wife and I just had our first child 6 days ago, so we are now looking to replace our old mattress that does not provide any support anymore. We are going to have less sleep as it is already lol. I’ve been looking into latex due to the less heat retention and breathability over memory foam. I sleep hot so a memory foam mattress would kill me. My and my wife have slightly different taste in the firmness levels we believe we like. The only place that we have been able to try a latex mattress that we can find information on here is the Pure Latex Bliss mattress from Mattress Plus. They had the Beautiful and the World’s Best Bed of which we both liked the Beautiful more. We were looking at DreamFoam, Flexus, and Brooklyn Bedding for a latex mattress. I love the double-sided mattress aspect of the DreamFoam Freedom, however the flexibility and quality of the Flexus seems to be worth the difference in cost. The place I originally had at the top was Brooklyn Bedding when I first began my research, however their cost to what you seem to get as far as materials doesn’t seem as worth it now. Is the double-sided aspect of the DreamFoam really going to help extend the life of the mattress when flipped and rotated? I would figure that flipping it changes the feel due to the layer stack and would kinda defeat the purpose.

Hi tidoubleger,

You are certainly looking at some great quality/value options and assuming that the mattress you choose is a good “match” for you in terms of PPP it would be difficult to go wrong with any of them.

There is also more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses.

[quote]I love the double-sided mattress aspect of the DreamFoam Freedom, however the flexibility and quality of the Flexus seems to be worth the difference in cost.

Is the double-sided aspect of the DreamFoam really going to help extend the life of the mattress when flipped and rotated? I would figure that flipping it changes the feel due to the layer stack and would kinda defeat the purpose. [/quote]

The Freedom mattress does have a two sided cover that is quilted on both sides but it’s not a two sided mattress in the usual sense of the word. It’s designed to be a one sided component latex mattress similar to the Flexus mattress except the layers are synthetic continuous pour latex instead of the 100% natural Dunlop and Talalay comfort layers in the Flexus. The Flexus also has a wool quilted cover while the quilting in the Freedom mattress is polyfoam. Each side of the Freedom cover has a different quilting pattern so one side is softer than the other and either side can be used on top of the mattress to change the “feel” and firmness of the mattress. Most people wouldn’t flip the mattress and sleep on both sides because it would be too different from the other way around unless you also rearranged the layers along with switching the side of the cover you were using.

The Flexus layers can be rearranged and they also allow you to exchange a layer for a different firmness level while the layers in the Freedom can be rearranged in 6 different ways which along with the firmer and softer side of the cover give you the 12 different configurations for the mattress but they don’t offer a layer exchange. Both of them would also allow you to replace just a single layer without replacing the entire mattress if one layer softens before the others or if your needs and preferences change down the road so they both have very flexible options available after a purchase.

A forum search on Freedom and a forum search on Flexus (you can just click both links) will also bring up more comments and feedback about both of them as well.

Phoenix

I’m leaning towards the flexus due to customization, price, and warranty/exchange. Unfortunately we don’t have much personal experience on different mattresses to determine exact configurations, but what would be a good start for someone who would prefer an 8 on a 1-10 scale of firmness and the other prefer like a 6.5?

Hi ti9doubleger,

There is more about the different ways to choose the most suitable mattress (locally and online) that can help you assess and minimize the risks involved in making a choice that isn’t as suitable for you as you hoped for with each of them in post #2 here.

There is also more information in the first part of post #2 here about some of the different ways that can help accommodate a couple that have different needs and preferences but when you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specific options they have available based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences than anyone else.

Phoenix