Guidance requested for choosing type of latex and firmness configuration

Hello! I have been reading the information and posts on The Mattress Underground for the past month and have done quite a bit of online research on latex mattresses as well. I have narrowed down my choices to Talalay latex and decided to order from either SleepEZ or Foam Sweet Foam. Unfortunately we live in an area with no distributors of 100% latex mattresses so I will be making choices without being able to test any options.

I have two questions:

1. what is your opinion on Natural v.s. Blended (synthetic & natural) Talalay latex? I think I want 100% Natural but recently read some information that stated Blended Talalay is more durable and has less softening that Natural. Is that true.
  2. please advise on firmness options and layer configuration for my husband and I. I am 57, 5’6", 155 lbs, stomach & back sleeper. My husband is 60, 6’4", 200 lbs, side sleeper.
    I am targeting mattresses with 4 layers of latex (12-13").

Thank you in advance for your assistance,
Kari

Hi Kari,

You can read more about the natural Talalay vs Blended Talalay in post #2 here.

As you can see in post #1 here I don’t provide specific mattress layering recommendations for people because each manufacturer is much more knowledgeable and better qualified than I am to make suggestions about their own mattresses. As you can also see in post #8 here … each manufacturer may make different suggestions for a mattress that seems similar in general terms either because of different approaches or “pathways” to the same desired outcome or different beliefs about what may work “better” for any particular person. Adding “competing” suggestions would tend to do more to confuse than help.

There is a lot of more detailed and generic information about mattress design and layering in the mattresses section of the site or in various posts in the forum such as post #4 here and post #2 here for those who want to know or learn more of the theory behind different designs and combinations and become more involved in their own choices but for most people there is a risk that these can become overwhelmingly complex and confusing.

Suggestions that are specific to a particular person and that are based on actual options that are available from a particular manufacturer need a more detailed discussion with each manufacturer who is in the best position to help you decide on the layering they have available that both they and you believe would be your best choice. They know far more about all the specific details of their own mattresses and the layers and components they have available than I do and because they actually make and sell mattresses … they can also use their feedback and experience from the many different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences of their customer base as a guideline for those who haven’t personally tested specific combinations of materials or layering.

Phoenix