Hampton Inn Serta Cloud Nine Substitute?

Hi!
So I’ve read this website’s helpful tutorial on beds, and I’ve read so much about various beds online that my head is spinning, to the extent that I have decided off and on just not to get a new mattress. I think I want a “plush firm” innerspring mattress, but who knows… I can lay on a lot of mattresses for 15 minutes and be comfy, but that doesn’t translate into overnight comfort. Also, so many folks say the model they tried in the store felt very different from the one that showed up in their home. So I thought of the last really comfortable sleep I had. It was this summer in Maine at the Hampton Inn.
They use the Serta Cloud Nine made especially for the hotel, but they do sell it online. Problem is, folks say it’s not the same bed as the hotel’s when you order online. And there isn’t a lot of information about the various layers. Does anyone happen to know a good direction to go in for a substitute brand if I really like the cloud nine?
thanks

Hi lora,

The first place I would start your research is post #1 here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choice … and avoid the worst ones (including Serta). It also includes testing guidelines that can help you test a mattress for pressure relief, alignment and your personal preferences. Testing a mattress for “comfort” alone (which is very subjective) to make your choice is among the worst ways to choose a mattress and has lower odds of making the most suitable choice than random chance alone (see this study).

You can read a little more about hotel mattresses and why they often feel different at home than in the hotel in post #3 here and the other posts it links to but they are also among the worst choices in terms of quality and value and you also won’t be able to find out the quality of the materials they use in their mattresses. A mattress is only as good as its construction and the quality of the materials inside it and I would completely avoid any manufacturer who won’t tell consumers the quality of the materials they use in their mattresses.

You can read a little more about “matching” another mattress in post #9 here but since they don’t disclose anything about the specifics of what is in the mattress there is no way to “match” it except with your own personal testing and trying to “match” a memory of a subjective 'feeling" isn’t an accurate way to match one mattress to another.

I would follow the guidelines and focus on smaller manufacturers and sleep shops that can “educate” you about their mattresses instead of “selling” you and provide you with all the information you need to make an informed buying decision.

Once you get to step 3 … if you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know about some of the better options and possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

Phoenix

Morning!
I understand that you, and Sleep like the Dead, recommend against purchasing mattresses from Serta, Sealy, Simmons and other major brands because of lack of transparency and lack of quality components in their mattresses. I’m all for avoiding paying a large sum of money for a mattress that will break down in very little time, in part because the mattress buying process is SO heinous. I have read post #1 over and over, as I have read your introduction to mattresses. It is just too much for me to take in, I need some initial help on which direction to head in, because as you say, if I connect with the right people I don’t have to know all of the finer details.

1. I want an innerspring mattress with pocket coils. I know there are arguments against this type of mattress for a side sleeper, but I am committed to sticking with an innerspring, even if it means using a topper for added comfort.
    I want a mattress that has high quality support/comfort layers that will stand the test of time, but that are not pillowy or even necessarily plush. My priority is getting a DURABLE mattress that will not sag or wear out quickly. I am a light weight - 105-110 pounds side sleeper with hip and shoulder tenderness. I need some pressure point relief, but a mattress that is too soft gives me a backache. That’s why I am willing to go with a firmer mattress and soften it to my needs with a topper.
  2. Please help me to avoid the major manufacturers by giving me some names to research and try. My price is $1000.
    3.I live in Vermont, this is a rural area and I know of no small sleep shops. If you do, please tell me of them. zipcode 05076
    You have directed me to steps 1-3 in post one a couple of times, but I feel like I need some direction in even getting to steps 1-3.
    If you know brands for quality innerspring on the firmer side $1000 mattresses I could look at, or sleep shops in my area that could help me with these questions, please tell me
    thank you
    lora

Hi lora,

If you’ve read the basic information “over and over” you have probably spent more time than you really need. Reading it once or twice like you would like you would “read a good book” will give you more than enough information to recognize the better and more knowledgeable retailers.

I also know or have talked to many people that have an argument against innersprings or pocket coils but none of them have a “good” argument. The type of support component in a mattress is a matter of preference and some of the most knowledgeable people I know in the industry that could sleep on anything they choose prefer an innerspring (with high quality comfort layers … often latex) over anything else. Pocket coils are also more likely to be suitable for side sleepers than other types of coils (although this would depend on the specifics of the person and the mattress construction) because they are more conforming than other types of coil because they act independently of each other. A pocket coil mattress can be as “comfortable” or as “pressure relieving” as anyone would need and this would depend on the type of pocket coil and on the padding that was above the innerspring. The support component of a mattress (innerspring or otherwise) is not generally the weak link of a mattress.

The most important part of durability and the useful life of a mattress is the quality of the layers above the innerspring. Your own personal testing will tell you more about whether a mattress is suitable for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and personal preferences) than anything else. As you are mentioning if the support components are too soft or the comfort layers are too thick/soft for your body type and sleeping positions then the risk of alignment issues (back aches) are higher. It’s generally more effective to choose a mattress that already has the combination of layers that you need because if you buy a mattress and a topper separately you will have to deal with two separate purchases that each have their own variables instead of just one. If you do decide to buy a mattress and a topper then it’s generally best to test the exact combination you plan to purchase in person. If you make a mistake in your mattress choice and the mattress is too firm then a topper can be a backup plan to add additional softness but it’s not as easy as “getting it right” with just a mattress without a topper.

[quote]2. Please help me to avoid the major manufacturers by giving me some names to research and try. My price is $1000.
3.I live in Vermont, this is a rural area and I know of no small sleep shops. If you do, please tell me of them. zipcode 05076
You have directed me to steps 1-3 in post one a couple of times, but I feel like I need some direction in even getting to steps 1-3.[/quote]

Post #4 here includes some of the better “possibilities” around the Burlington, VT area based on some earlier preliminary research and I spent the morning doing some preliminary research around the Topsham, VT area and the better options or possibilities that are closer to you along with the brands they carry that have higher odds of you being able to find out the materials in their mattresses includes …

http://www.heartofvermont.com/ Barre, VT. Barre, VT. Carries Royal-Pedic innerspring/natural fiber mattresses which are high quality mattresses but also carry premium prices.

http://www.greenmountainorganics.com/ St Johnsbury, VT. Savvy Rest component latex mattresses

http://www.loonrustics.com/ Lincoln, NH. Carries Savvy Rest component latex mattresses

http://mattressland.comcastbiz.net/ Berlin, Waterbury, VT. Symbol, Natura (may no longer carry Natura).

http://www.bridgmans.com/ Lebanon, NH. Gold Bond including 2 sided.

http://www.loonrustics.com/ Lincoln, NH. Carries Savvy Rest component latex mattresses

http://lovesbeddingandfurniture.com/contact.php Claremont, NH. Pure Talalay Bliss, King Koil XL. They understand the importance of knowing the materials in your mattress and Bobby is the “expert” here.

http://www.sunsetmattressfactory.com/index.htm Ossipee, NH. Independent factory direct manufacturer that makes some “old style” and good quality innerspring/cotton mattresses with working box springs that are good value.

http://www.godnicksfurniture.com/ Rutland, VT. Carries Pure Talalay Bliss and Gold Bond

I would call these first and ask if they have any mattresses that are similar to your criteria (a pocket spring mattress with good quality comfort layers) on their floor that you can test. A general description of what you are looking for would be a pocket coil mattress that used either latex, a microcoil, or 1.8 lb or better polyfoam (in a one sided mattress), or 1.5 lb polyfoam or better (in a two sided mattress) in the comfort layers above the innerspring. I would also let them know your budget range so that you have a good idea that what you are looking for is available in your budget. The manufacturer wouldn’t matter because it’s the quality of the construction and the materials that “makes” the mattress regardless of the brand.

Hope this helps.

Phoenix

Hi P,

I have been looking through your website for the past week or so. I have yet to test out mattresses as I also live in a rural area with no great options. After reading through all your info, I believe I am also interested in a pocket coil with latex topper. I have a feeling my husband would prefer a full latex/combo of memory foam but I would like to go test some out. Could you give me some suggestions on places to go to try some of these? We live in Salida, CO (81201) and have family in Colorado Springs, CO. Thanks!

Hi SOUslept2,

The closest list to you is in the Denver / Boulder area in post #2 here but all of these are well over 100 miles away so over the next few days or week or so … time permitting … I’ll take a look in the Colorado Springs area (and around you as well) to see which stores may be among the better options or possibilities in the area … or at least are more likely to disclose the materials in their mattresses.

I don’t keep a list of specific mattresses that each retailer keeps on their floor (it’s constantly changing and would be impossible to keep up with) so you would need to look at their websites or talk to them to find out if they have mattresses on their floor such as a latex / innerspring hybrid that you would be interested in testing.

I’ll update this thread as soon as I’ve had the chance to take a look.

Phoenix

Hi Souslpet2,

I had a chance to take a look at some of the options in the Colorado Springs and Salida area and this list that includes some of the better possibilities in the area (out of about two dozen stores or so). It also includes the brands that each one carries that I would focus on where you have better odds of being able to find out the specifics of what is in their mattresses.

Colorado Springs, CO. area:

Denver Mattress® - The Easiest Way to Get the Right Mattress Colorado Springs, Pueblo, CO. Local manufacturer that makes a range of innerspring mattresses and their iChoice model which is a mostly latex mattress that can also be used with either a memory foam or latex topper.

Choosing Mattress Comfort Levels | Bob's Discount Mattresses Colorado Springs. Therapedic (including gel), Easy Rest.

http://www.woodleys.com/ Colorado Springs, Centennial. Semaro (Therapedic licensee).

http://www.americanfurniture.com/ Colorado Springs. Carries Old West. Latex mattress is coming but they don’t have it on the floor yet. Said they would call Old West for foam specs. Check foam densities carefully here because they may be on the low side.

http://www.benfattis.com/ Pueblo, CO. Sherwood (incl. a latex hybrid). Will call Sherwood for foam specs.

http://www.pueblosleepsolutions.com/Home.html Pueblo, CO. Therapedic (incl gel and latex). Said they know foam densities “inside out”.

Salida, CO. area:

http://www.valleyhomefurnishings.com/Mattresses Salida, Buena Vista, CO. Restonic (didn’t talk with them to see which models or if they are willing to provide foam specs for their mattresses so make sure you call first).

For those that don’t mind a longer drive then the better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Denver,CO and Boulder, CO areas are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix

This is great! Thank you for the leg work. I’ll look into them. I did call two places here in Salida and they carry sealy and simmons…

Hello, It has been some time since I have looked for collaboration here. I wish I could say that this is due to a super duper sweet bed, but alas - I am still on the hunt.
I am hoping for some advise in choosing the best fit bed for me. I sleep mainly on my side. Currently I have the Nest Alexander Hybrid and am finding it scoopy in the hip area (lower back ache) and yet my shoulder is hurting. I find this very strange (too soft in hip yet too hard on shoulder) as the foam on top is certainly filling in the void of my waist. I am a fairly shapely woman, 5’9, 170 lbs with a small waist - I carry most weight in my hips and tush. I am within the warranty and the company sent me a couple suggestions based on my concerns:
-Alexander Signature Series - Medium.
-Alexander HyBrid Luxury Contour
With all the research I have read on your site I am personally interested in the Latex Hybrid, firm but a salesperson is steering me away from it because they say the latex would be to dense on my shoulder.
Please, any thoughts on the 3 above mattresses? Specifically which one might be more supportive in the hip are and softer in the shoulder.
Last, I also am wondering if their “zoned” coils might be part of the culprit for my body type. Perhaps the hip area coils are not keeping me in alignment. Thanks for your time and thoughts. Amy

Hi SOUslept2/Amy.

[quote] I am within the warranty and the company sent me a couple suggestions based on my concerns: -Alexander Signature Series - Medium. -Alexander HyBrid Luxury Contour
With all the research I have read on your site I am personally interested in the Latex Hybrid, firm but a salesperson is steering me away from it because they say the latex would be to dense on my shoulder. Please, any thoughts on the 3 above mattresses? Specifically which one might be more supportive in the hip are and softer in the shoulder. [/quote]

I am not sure which of the 3 firmness options you have for your current Alexander Signature mattress, but as your weight distribution is uneven (heavier hips) along with the shoulder pains and lower back pains you are experiencing, I would agree with you that your “symptoms” point to the hips would sinking in a bit too much causing some misalignment and not enough plushness for your needs to cradle the shoulder. It is difficult to compare without knowing exactly what you firmness you currently have, but in general terms you need to look at a system with a primary deep support firm enough to keep your spine in neutral alignment but surface comfort the right thickness to give your shoulders the right amount of pressure point relief (this is where the fine tuning would come into place)

It may be that the firm version of the Next Hybrid Latex you are considering, having the 3" of firm Dunlop Latex in the comfort layer, would not provide enough pressure point relief for your shoulder. This mattress is rated as 3.5 on Nest’s internal firmness scale (not that this means much when it comes to needs and preferences but it is a good place to start from when comparing their mattresses). Based on your description perhaps the Nest Hybrid latex Medium would be a more appropriate choice for your needs. Keeping in mind that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on the mattress I would suggest some local testing to first see if you like the feeling of latex, for some people latex may be too resilient, and only you’ll be able to tell if this is the feel you are looking for or if you like a softer good quality polyfoam instead. Sometimes people with extreme weight differential between shoulders/torso and hips may do better with thinner layers getting progressively firmer, or a slightly firmer upper layer (which will have a more crisp feeling) with a plusher layer under. As you are “sensitive to alignment” due to the heavier hips you would need to find just the right balance between support and comfort and avoid having too much plushness or material in the comfort layers….all is relative the many interconnected variables that are involved.

Uneven weight distribution will need firmer support layers, but the zoning this unit should not create an issue for someone with a 25 BMI, more often than not the issue would too much / too soft comfort material on top that would compromise the deep support. Again, I can’t predict what type of mattress you might do best with via an online forum, as there are entirely too many personal variables involved, but I would certainly suggest to you to rely on the advice of the manufacturer themselves as they are much more familiar with their own mattress designs and materials than anyone else (including me) and they can use the information you provide them about your body type and sleeping positions, your preferences, your history on different mattresses, and the results of your local testing to make suggestions based on the “averages” of other customers that may be similar to you. The more accurate and detailed the information you provide them the better you will help them to help you make the best possible choices out of the options they have available. As you already know Nest Bedding is one of our Trusted Members of this site and like all the members here I think very highly of and consider them to be among the “best of the best” in the industry.

I hope all the information provided here helps your discussion with Nest bedding in selecting the best option for you.

Phoenix

Thank you Phoenix. I have the medium model and I will reach out to Nest again. I was concerned that they were not suggesting the hybrid latex and thought that I could get an idea here if it may be a solid option for me. I do not like the feel of sinking to far into a bed, but I have not had experience of latex either. I will try to make a trip to the store to test the mattress, it’s a bit of a challenge to get there but could be worth the trip. Thank you!

Hi SOUslept2.

You are welcome!
It’s worthwhile the challenge of a trip in exchange for many good nights of restful sleep :slight_smile:
Both mattresses that Nest recommended could work well in terms of deep support under your hips and if after some testing you find that you like the feel of latex then the medium version of the hybrid latex might offer just the pressure point relief needed for your shoulder. Either way between your experience with your current mattress, your showroom testing, and Nests guidance you have a good chance to find something that is a good fit.

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding after your visit.

Phoenix