Hard Time Deciding...

Hi Hardtimedeciding,

I would want to know the density of the HD polyfoam. In a two sided mattress … outside of an inch or so of lower density quilting foam I would suggest a minimum density of 1.5 lb polyfoam and in a one sided mattress I would suggest a minimum density of 1.8 lbs or higher.

This would be within the minimum guidelines I would suggest for a one sided mattress (1.8 lb polyfoam with an inch or so or less of lower density polyfoam in the comfort layers).

The most important part of the “value” of each mattress is how suitable it is for you in terms of PPP but if the mattress meets the minimum quality/density guidelines I’ve suggested then you would at least have some assurance that it would also be a relatively durable choice and you could also make more meaningful comparisons to other mattresses you are considering.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Comfort Custom would make me the following:

Latex on top the innerspring. He said that he would do a 3" 32 IOD which is a 70/30 blend for $895. What do you think of this combination?

Thank,
Sharon

Hi Hartdtimedeciding,

If this is blended Talalay latex it’s a very durable and higher quality material than the polyfoam you listed in your previous post.

I would also want to know the details of the innerspring (such as the type and number of coils along with the gauge you have listed even though it’s not likely to be the weak link of the mattress) and the details of the cover and any quilting in the mattress and make sure that there is a good quality insulator in the mattress (which is most likely) to make sure the latex doesn’t sink into the gaps in the coils but overall it sounds like a good quality, durable, and good value option to me if you have tested it and it is a good match for you in terms of PPP (32 ILD would be on the firm side for some people).

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Here is part of the message that I sent Comfort Custom Mattresses:

I was told that the innersprings you use are 12.5 gauge. What is the innerspring type and number of coils? Can I have details of the cover and quilting? What type of insulator do you use between the latex and the innerspring? I know the firmest ILD that you had is 32…what are the other latex options (sorry I forgot)?

Here is their response:

The type of innerspring unit is bonnell with 3" diameter and 312 coils for Queen size mattress. Don has been making mattresses for over 30 years and he knows the ins and out of what works together in a mattress. As mentioned prior, with latex added to the mattress we do not recommend any type of pillow top because it defeats the purpose of latex. Instead, the cover will be a stretch velour cover that helps contour to your body so that you will feel the latex against your body. The insulator pad is 1/2" white pad. The other latex options are 36 ILD and 40 ILD which are firmer than 32 ILD. We can surely have your mattress ready for you when you come back down to Fort Lauderdale. We stand behind our mattresses and your comfort level is guaranteed.

What are your thoughts on their response?

Thank you (again!),
Sharon

Hi HardTimeDeciding,

It sounds to me like a response that would come from a manufacturer that knows what they are doing and uses good quality and durable materials with no weak links in the mattress :slight_smile:

The coil count is on the lower side but the coils are very strong and it has a good insulator so everything looks good in terms of quality/durability as long as it’s a good match for you in terms of PPP.

Phoenix