has anyone purchased a restava mattress?

I’m very tempted to go forward with the purchase of a restava mattress, but I’m concerned about the questionable reviews and suggestions of it being a scam whereby they ship something different than what’s on the site. I’ve read all of the information on this site regarding them, but I’m wondering if anyone has one and can comment. I don’t want to buy it then have it break down in a year and then have to fight it out with them to return.

Right now I’m debating between them and a few mattresses from costco. I know that if a mattress from costco breaks down after a year, I have a better chance of them processing my return.

I bought a Restava last year and it’s great, even though I don’t think they carry the model I purchased anymore. It looks like they’ve switched to all gel memory foam mattresses. My mattress (Signet) is great, though. I didn’t have any trouble with delivery or customer service or anything, but then again I never tried to do a return.

Hi siivv,

A forum search on Restava (you can just click this) will bring up a few comments about them.

I hadn’t talked with them for a while so I thought I’d call them to catch up to date.

The first thing I noticed is that their customer service is still more responsive than it was at the beginning and someone answered and we spent about 45 minutes on the phone.

The second thing that I noticed was that they are now CertiPur certified which was my only real gripe with them in my previous posts (once their customer service improved from when they first started).

Finally they have introduced their new gel memory foam models in the last couple of weeks or so and I wanted to know what type of gel memory foam they are using (you can see more about the different types in post #2 here). I was pleased to see that they are using the “co-infused” gel foam which is mixed together as a liquid and is 4.2 lb density. This is a good quality material.

The person I was talking with was very open and responsive and I believe that with the “question marks” eliminated … they would be a good quality/value choice and I have listed them in the list of online memory foam providers in post #12 here.

Of course I have no experience in how well they “match” their mattresses to the needs and preferences of different people or how responsive they are to returns or other customer service issues but from a quality/value perspective they would now be among the better choices IMO.

Phoenix

Hello friends,

Restava Mattress is designed to work on a flat, solid foundation or adjustable bed base that is capable of supporting your Restava Mattress properly. The use of an inadequate box spring or foundation may void your warranty. Always use a strong, stable foundation frame. Our beds are heavier than conventional beds and require a center support rail to provide proper support. Queen and king sizes require center support with legs to comply with warranty. If placing on a slat bed, the slats must be no further than six inches apart, and have a leg going from the center slat to the floor.

Thanks and regards
Michael Bevan

Hi Michael,

I read the feedback here on your mattresses and also spent some time on your website looking at several models. I talked emailed back and forth with one of your representatives Anthony who as very helpful with questions I had about the pearl model. I was interested in this model because your information says it compares with the Tempur Cloud Supreme Breeze.

I must have missed it at first but then I stumbled on the following line at the top of one of you mattress models price options list-

Competitor Price: $4,299.00 If you are trying to say that the Tepur Cloud Supreme Breeze retails for $4299, you are incorrect. Most disturbing is that you even bother using any type of price comparison as a selling point.

Further more you go on to mention-

The Pearl GEL by Restava® looks, feels, and lasts like a TEMPUR-Cloud Supreme Breeze, plus it has a 3" layer of gel memory foam for a cooler, more comfortable night’s sleep. Our laboratory test show you will sleep up to 4 degrees cooler than Tempur-Pedic and 2 degrees cooler than iComfort.

You laboratory?? really?

This just reeks of cheap, desperate and misguided.

You may have a great mattress at a great price but, your sleezy webpage has scared me away.

Just my two cents.

Hi Dahl,

I went to look at their site and I also saw the price which was crossed off and used as a comparison with their Pearl Gel. I think they used the price for the King Size Tempur Cloud Luxe but this wouldn’t be an “apples to apples” comparison in terms of the thickness of the memory foam layers and they also are comparing their listed price for a twin to Tempurpedic’s price for a king which of course is a much more expensive mattress size.

I personally don’t have any issues with a mattress manufacturer making a specific price comparison with Tempurpedic if the layering is similar (because Tempurpedics prices are controlled so they are standardized in all the stores and are also much too high IMO) but it would make much more sense to me and the comparisons would be more meaningful than misleading if they were a little more accurate and more closely based on “apples to apples” materials and layering matchups.

As to sleeping temperature … there are so many variables that I believe it would be hard to predict the sleeping temperature for any individual person from a “lab” test (although many of the foam manufacturers do provide some of their lab tests to the manufacturers that use their materials). If we believed all the mattress temperature claims that are out there where one mattress or type of material is so much cooler than another and then the next one is so many times cooler yet and on down the line … then many of the mattresses that are being sold would be like sleeping in snow :slight_smile:

They do have good quality/value as you mentioned but like you I don’t think they do themselves any favors by making comparisons that aren’t as accurate as they could be or are even misleading in some cases.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Hope you are sitting for this one. My end point goal of writing this post was to hopefully get the attention of the company and see that with a few minor changes to their website, they could really sell more mattresses, not turn people away.

It seems like they have what could be a really good product but their advertising is working against them.

I wouldn’t have even taken the time to post at all if I didn’t read good things about the Company here.

Definitely not meant to be a snipe.

Lastly, for all those who question this sites/your overall objectivity- all they have to do is read my posts.

I am now keeping a log of the 17 different mattresses I have tried in person over the last 30 days. It’s official, I need to get a life.

Dahl

Hi Dahl,

That made me laugh. I called a friend today who is one of the best sources I know in the industry and is always willing to share some great information and ideas with me. Like me … he is a “mattress geek”.

Anyway … about 15 minutes into a conversation his wife starts looking at him “funny” so he asks me “am I boring you” (he’s well aware that the “look” means he may be talking too much about stuff that would bore some people). Of course I wanted him to keep going so I just told him “don’t forget who you’re talking to … I’m just as much of a mattress geek as you are … and it’s not every day I get to talk to someone who has as much insider information as you do”.

We ended up talking for about two hours or so :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Obsession? According to my wife, definitely. Call it what you want. The end goal is to get at mattress that really feels good at the end of the day. You spend a lot of time on it and, my research now indicates that I will be spending a fair amount of money on it.

After 13 years on tempur MF, much reading, many miles and, lots of mattresses later, here is the short list in no particular order-

1. Prana Vinyasa plush

2. Pure latex Bliss Beautiful

3. Arizona Mattress Co. mattress made to my specs

Both my wife and I are side sleepers. I weigh in at 180 and she is 130. We use an adjustable platform.

My very brief observations on the above 3 are as follows:

Prana Vinyasa plush. Pros- felt really good, cloud like but with good support for us at our size/weight. I like that they use outlast in the cover material. I use outllast sheets and a blanket and really like them. While the Oulast stuff didn’t solve the Tempur heat problem, I think they are a good product.

Cons- Cost. Its the most expensive of the 3 options. Also, they require 1.5 inch dip before they will do a warranty exchange. I this the norn for latex?

Pure latex Bliss (PLB). Pros- This is the mattress that showed me that latex done right can offer pressure relief without bounce/my technical term for push back. My recollection of latex from years ago was that it was like being on a trampoline. While the PBL doesn’t have a quilted top like the other two options, it’s top layer is just soft enough that it seemed to give side sleepers enough pressure relief. And, what a relief not to have to fight against slow acting MF just trying to move. The price is very reasonable. I also like that your mattress is covered by the actual manufacturer.

Cons- no quilted top.

Arizonza Mattress Co. Pros- It appears that Greg can possibly make me the best of both worlds. By that I mean, I can give him the specs for the PLB Beautiful, have him produce that in all talalay, including the top layer in active fusion/talalay GL or what ever new name they come out with before you read this and, cover it with a cotton/wool quilted zippered mattress cover. This could be the Prana Vinyasa version with the quilted top of the PLB Beautiful mattress.

Cons- none so far. Only in the planning stages of the process.

The only question I have for you is, what is your experience with quilted cotton/wool tops over latex? Can they end up lumping or anything like that?

What a journey it’s been. Thanks for you input.

D

Hi Dahl,

A few comments about your 3 options.

[quote]Prana Vinyasa plush. Pros- felt really good, cloud like but with good support for us at our size/weight. I like that they use outlast in the cover material. I use outllast sheets and a blanket and really like them. While the Oulast stuff didn’t solve the Tempur heat problem, I think they are a good product.

Cons- Cost. Its the most expensive of the 3 options. Also, they require 1.5 inch dip before they will do a warranty exchange. I this the norn for latex?[/quote]

These all use fairly thick (3") layers of polyfoam above the latex which is probably the reason for the 1.5" exclusion. You wouldn’t really be sleeping on latex with these mattresses and as you mentioned they are considerably overpriced IMO. You can see more comments about them in Post #3 here

Outlast can be one piece of the sleeping cool puzzle but by itself it may not be enough with some types of mattresses depending on the the type of foam used and on how far you sink into it (as well of course on the type of protector, sheets, and bedding you use as you mentioned). The polyfoam in the upper layers of the Vinyasa would be cooler than Tempur memory foam, all other factors being equal, and the Talalay latex in your other two choices would be more breathable and cooler yet (especially if therer was wool in a quilting layer).

[quote]Pure latex Bliss (PLB). Pros- This is the mattress that showed me that latex done right can offer pressure relief without bounce/my technical term for push back. My recollection of latex from years ago was that it was like being on a trampoline. While the PBL doesn’t have a quilted top like the other two options, it’s top layer is just soft enough that it seemed to give side sleepers enough pressure relief. And, what a relief not to have to fight against slow acting MF just trying to move. The price is very reasonable. I also like that your mattress is covered by the actual manufacturer.

Cons- no quilted top. [/quote]

These at least use only Talalay latex from top to bottom and are good quality even though they are probably in the “better than average” value range but certainly not the best. Of course this will depend on the prices charged by a retailer you are dealing with because even though their advertised prices are controlled, there will often be a real difference in actual selling prices. This is especially true for retailers that are still selling the previous models and are looking to sell their remaining stock before switching over to the new active fusion models. Some people prefer the unquilted cover because it will let you sleep directly on the latex while others prefer some type of quilting layer over their latex (particularly wool but thin polyfoam quilting as well). They certainly do it right for the most part and I think that part of the reason for their existence is to show others how to do it “right” as well (especially removing the thick layers of polyfoam over many latex mattresses).

[quote]Arizonza Mattress Co. Pros- It appears that Greg can possibly make me the best of both worlds. By that I mean, I can give him the specs for the PLB Beautiful, have him produce that in all talalay, including the top layer in active fusion/talalay GL or what ever new name they come out with before you read this and, cover it with a cotton/wool quilted zippered mattress cover. This could be the Prana Vinyasa version with the quilted top of the PLB Beautiful mattress.

Cons- none so far. Only in the planning stages of the process. [/quote]

There is no doubt that these are the best value of your three choices IMO and you also have the advantage of working directly with an actual manufacturer who can make your mattress any way you wish (within the limits of what they have available) for lower prices than your other two options.

Cotton fabrics are a great material and I would prefer it over a synthetic or synthetic blend fabric. Wool quilting can actually help a mattress cover keep its shape better than an unquilted cover which can stretch and become looser than a quilted cover. Wool will also provide higher levels of ventilation and humidity and temperature control and will slightly firm up the feeling of the latex which will compress slightly less than it will with an unquilted stretch knit cover. Wool can also be used to pass the fire regulations so you don’t need to use another type of fire barrier in the mattress.

Overall it’s a matter of preference but a wool quilted cover can certainly be a great choice IMO.

Phoenix