Has anyone tried a FossFlakes pillow?

(I hope this is OK to add to the forum; please feel free to delete this if this sort of “pillow talk” is not appropriate here…)

So I just read the forum thread here on the LaNoodle pillow which I’m definitely going to try out – so grateful I saw that discussion. It also sparked my memory about a pillow I heard about from but have yet to be able to see/handle/try in person: FossFlakes is the name of it… (FossFlakes site. Apparently it’s really good; or, at least, my friend and her SO loves theirs. But I was curious about others’ opinions, since I’ve not seen many reviews for these anywhere. Anyone had the interest/opportunity to try a FossFlakes pillow?

Aside from LaNoodle pillows, are there specific brand pillow suggestions that you’ve liked over time and not just during the initial early days/honeymoon period?

Pillow sob story:

I sleep hotter than hot, and I can’t seem to find a pillow that is conducive to pleasant sleep over the long haul. I don’t recall having such an issue with pillows years ago, but these days I’ve had a difficult time finding pillows that don’t end up in the back of the closet because I can’t stand them anymore. Yet I don’t want to toss them out in case my next one is worse.

I’ve not been a fan of the latex pillows I’ve tried (although both were formed/shaped latex, not shredded, so let me know if shredded latex is more comfortable than it looks (looks like unappealing chunks of torn sponge to me). And until today, I’d never heard about the LaNoodle, which makes perfect design sense, in avoiding the hot latex block pillows and the chunky “shredded” latex pillows with softer yet denser “noodles”. Excited to try that for certain.

As for other types, for me, memory foam pillows of a variety of shapes/sizes/densities have each been too hot to bear, every single one, and some were pretty noxious, odor-wise, and didn’t seem to off-gas fully even when put outside on time-out for an extended period. I can’t quite bring myself to buy a blue- or green-plastic-y looking “gel” memory foam pillow because it just looks like there’s no way it’ll be comfortable (or non-toxic), and they’re all pretty expensive too. But that’s me judging a pillow by its cover, I know.

I find down alternative (like PrimaLoft) awesome in theory, but again basically unbearably hot to sleep on – even though so far, I like the tactile feel of them the best, am pleased with the way they hold up, and would be happiest with those if I could reliably solve the heat part of it somehow. Tencel pillowcases haven’t done the trick for me, but that could be because I have long hair adding more heat to the equation. As for other brands of down alt fill, I’ve had allergies to some down alternative pillows/duvets that aren’t “hypoallergenic” which came as a surprise to me b/c I didn’t even realize (human-made!) down alternative could be allergenic. What’s the point of making that stuff, then? I don’t go in for down/feather fills, so those are out. The cotton-fill pillows we bought became flat as textbooks very quickly and dense like a brick. Cotton pillows are hardcover masonry textbooks on bricklaying is what I’m saying. Those were turned into cat mats.

My wool pillow got lumpy. Like it was slowly turning back into a sheep’s coat.
The two buckwheat hull-fill pillows I’ve had were noisy-ish, hot and… sort of distracting to move around on, which would invariably wake me up. Plus they don’t squish around as needed, they sort of… cascade.

Truly, the best pillow I’ve ever had was filled with 100% kapok fiber, but after not so very long, it began to flatten nightly and would need to be punched and shaken vigorously all the dang time to re-pillow. Eventually it didn’t fluff back up well enough. I never got around to buying more of that wispy kapok filler fiber to puff it back up. Though maybe I ought to, come to think of it. It felt silky and didn’t get nearly as hot as these other pillows I’m ranting about.

Anyway, dunno why I’m so long-winded today, but back to the topic at hand, jeesh: FossFlakes… it says they’re Okeo-Tek certified…cool. So, FossFlakes… any votes, yay or nay?

Hi elle5,

I don’t have any personal experience with the FossFlakes pillow so I can’t make any meaningful comments about it and you are the first one to mention them on the forum but hopefully some of the forum members that have purchased it will see your post and share their comments and feedback.

They are made from polyethylene which is a type of plastic that can be used to make fibers for filling or stuffing and for food grade products such as bottles as well. They are Oeko-Tex certified so they would certainly be a “safe” material.

As you probably know a suitable pillow is an essential part of good alignment for the head and neck and upper body because the gap between the head and the mattress and the curve of the cervical spine needs to be supported just like all other parts of the spine. Like mattresses … there are certain “needs” that depend on body type and sleeping positions but with pillows more than mattresses, personal preferences play a more important role because the face is much more sensitive to textures, temperature, smells, and other more subjective “feel” based properties of a pillow. There is more about choosing pillows in the pillow thread here including a number of links to some additional forum posts and topics that discuss various pillows as well in post #3 in the topic.

There are also some pillows that use Kapok mixed with shredded latex such as here and here that would help the Kapok maintain its loft and resiliency.

Phoenix