Hate my Tempur Rhapsody, replacing with Aireloom or Prana

I would like to keep the pricing as close to $4000 (or under) if possible.
The Prana Super Vinyasa at $4700 is a stretch, but the Samadhi at $5800 is really more than I am lookig to spend on a mattress. The new 5th Gens are just out of ballpark with their price increase.

But the more I think about it, even though I like how the Samadhi felt, I am concerned about the 1.5lbs on the top 3", and there is nno way to replace any layers on the mattress. At least with the Savvy or Sleep EZ it doesn’t have foam on the top and the layers can be replaced.

I see from you link the latex layers are about equal between Savvy and Sleep EZ. For example, if I tried out a Savvy that is soft/soft/medium, then chances are a Sleep EZ with the same configuration would feel about the same.

What I am thinking is to try out the Savvy again later with week at the other store that can swap them out, find which configuration I like best, and order that configuration from Sleep EZ.
My question (or concern) is if there is any difference in quality or reliability between Savvy and Sleep EZ? As I’m trying to figure out why the price of the Sleep EZ is half (as the saying goes you get what you pay for, and even though the price is attractive, I’d hate to get it, not like it, return and go with Savvy or Prana…with all that hassle.)

Hi FAUguy,

I would also be concerned about the lower density polyfoam in their previous versions as well and I would consider it to be a potential weak link that could lead to premature foam softening and breakdown or sagging. Lower quality/density materials really don’t belong in a mattress in this budget range and I’m glad to see that they improved the quality/density of the polyfoam in the new design.

SleepEZ and other component latex manufacturers would be able to give you good guidance about which of the options they have available would be closest to the Savvy Rest mattress that was the best “match” for you.

There is no difference in the quality or durability of the latex in either mattress. SleepEZ provides the option to choose either 100% natural Dunlop or 100% natural or blended Talalay in their layers (and they can special order organic dunlop) and there are 4 firmness choices while Savvy Rest has the option for 100% natural Dunlop that is certified organic or 100% natural Talalay in three firmness choices. The covers would also be slightly different as well (see post #31 here). There is also more about the different types and blends of latex including organic Dunlop in post #6 here.

This is one of those cases where the price of the mattress doesn’t reflect a significant or meaningful difference in quality and Savvy Rest is generally priced higher than a number of other manufacturers that also use similar types and blends of latex and have a similar cover and a similar design. There is also more about how SleepEZ compares to Savvy Rest in post #4 here and a forum search on SleepEZ Savvy Rest will bring up all the forum posts that mention both of them.

Phoenix

After reading though this thread:
https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/i-don-t-get-it-why-is-my-foam-cushion-sofa-more-comfortable-than-my-new-latex-mattress-help
It’s kind of made me wonder about going the Sleep EZ route, since it is all up to you to put it together, and if you don’t like it to box it up and pay for return shipping. A more convenient latex brand would be the Savvy, since Mattress Xperts do the delivery them self. Their return policy is only 60 days (not too long) but I think you said that Savvy mattresses can’t be returned?

With this Rhapsody going back next week, I really need to see and decide what I want to go with. I’ve had it about 10 weeks, and it is so uncomfortable that I sleep on the couch (circa 1998) most of the night, and around 5am transfer to the bed for the last few hours. I even have had my 3" gel topper on it that I purchases a few years back.

It’s a shame the Gen 4 Prana Samadhi uses the 1.5 foam and is $5700. Even though the 5th Gen has 2.5 foam, the $2000 price increase is way to much.

Hi FAUguy,

[quote]www.themattressunderground.com/mattress-...x-mattress-help.html
It’s kind of made me wonder about going the Sleep EZ route, since it is all up to you to put it together, and if you don’t like it to box it up and pay for return shipping. A more convenient latex brand would be the Savvy, since Mattress Xperts do the delivery them self. Their return policy is only 60 days (not too long) but I think you said that Savvy mattresses can’t be returned?[/quote]

I would be very cautious about using other people’s reviews or experiences on a mattress (either positive or negative) as a reliable source of information or guidance about how suitable a mattress may be for you and in many cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on or vice versa (see post #13 here). This would be particularly true if someone’s experience was in a very small minority of the people who had purchased a particular mattress and if you were to exclude mattresses that weren’t suitable for some people then there wouldn’t be any mattresses left to choose from.

The Savvy Rest mattresses are very similar to the SleepEZ mattresses so if a particular SleepEZ configuration wouldn’t work for you then it’s not likely that a Savvy Rest with a similar combination of layers will either. Savvy Rest is certainly a great quality choice but it’s also in a significantly higher budget range than many other similar mattresses (including SleepEZ of course) and as you mentioned they don’t have a return policy … only a layer exchange. Having said that … the choice between whether to buy locally or online depends on the parts of each person’s personal value equation that are most important to them and for some people a higher cost for a local mattress may be “worth it”.

The cost of returning a SleepEZ is $95 regardless of the actual shipping cost so the risk is low and both the Savvy Rest and theSleepEZ would be relatively simple to put together or exchange layers if you have someone to help.

Phoenix

Thanks for the additional info.
I wasn’t aware the return shiooing price for Sleep EZ was a flat $95, I though I read something on their site where it says the customer pays the full return shipping fee at however much that would be. With me in FL, I’m was thinking it could cost $200 or so for return shipping to AZ for the mattress and wooden foundation.
I’ll he trying out the Savvy again this week. Will let you know how it feels, since I can have them configure it at the store as soft/soft/medium, soft/medium/medium, or soft/medium/firm.

Need some advice tonight.
Went to the other store and tried out some different combos.
I like the soft Talalay, with to medium Dunlop underneath best.
The retail price is $3999. The salesman said that they are placing a big order today due to the holiday weekend, and can pass savings on to us down to $2999, $1000 off. But they only offer a 60 day, but no refunds, only exchanges.
At that price, its not much more than the Sleep EZ 10", and you don’t have to assemble it yourself. But is non returnable.
Thoughts?

Hi FAUguy,

[quote]At that price, its not much more than the Sleep EZ 10", and you don’t have to assemble it yourself. But is non returnable.
Thoughts? [/quote]

The difference (excluding any taxes) between the Savvy Rest reduced price and the SleepEZ natural 10000 (which would have blended Talalay and 100% natural Dunlop) in cal king would be $1104 and for the SleepEZ organic (which would have 100% natural Talalay and 100% natural Dunlop) would be $724.

When you are down to finalists that are choices between “good and good” and if there are no clear winners between them then the final choice that is best for you will really be a matter of “best judgement” based on all the objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (see post #2 here). There are no “bad” choices here.

Phoenix

I see your point.
The reduced price of the Savvy Cal King was $3000 down from $4000. This included a “standard” wooden base (he said with not slats, flat wood on the top for $300), the $100 Cal King metal frame, and free delivery and installation. Also that Savvy has a promo right now where they are including free the mattress cover, 1 shredded latex pillow and sheets (a $600-800 value).
For the $3000 price, this is not a bad deal, but is non-returnable/refundable if you don’t like it, and will charge $190 latex-swap-out fee during the first 60 days if you want to change out a layer.

The Sleep EZ 10000 Organic Latex Cal King shows on their site for $2275 + $380 foundation = $2655. Then add $100 to buy a Cal King bed frame (local or Amazon) = $2755. So total, you’re only $245 difference in price and don’t have to assemble it yourself. But you have better terms…90 days to change out layers as many time as you want, or return is all for a refund.

So that’s why I didn’t go with the Savvy deal yet, since I needed to think about it, and wanted others opinions about it.

But about the feeling of the Savvy, I tried several different configurations.
The first was soft talalay/medium talalay/firm talalay. It was a bit too firm for me.
Next was soft talalay/medium dunlop/medium dunlop. This one felt the best, soft but supportive. When I opened it up, the soft talalay layer said Made in the Netherlands, which I thought it was made in the US?
Last was soft talalay/soft talalay/medium talalay. This felt softer, but after several minutes it wasn’t supportive enough on my back.
The only other config I thought about would have been soft talalay/medium talalay/medium dunlop, but we weren’t able to set that up.

Today I was looking online at the FloBeds since it’s a competitor to SleepEZ, but it doesn’t say that they can do Cal King with full-width latex layers, only split layers, which I don’t need or want. I’m also not sure how that top convoluted layer would feel, since I usually like a smooth feeling surface. But I do like how their wooden frame is constructed. But again their price is higher than Sleep EZ.

I see that FloBeds gets their latex from Latex International, where do Sleep EZ get their latex from?

Hi FAUguy,

As far as I know outside of the top convoluted layer they only use split layers in queen size or larger so that they can be shipped more economically but you could check with them to make sure. Their convoluted top layer is a solid piece and they also have a wool quilted cover so you wouldn’t be able to feel any split underneath it. Most people wouldn’t feel the convoluting and you can also use the smooth side of the convoluted layer facing up but for those that try it and decide they prefer a solid 2" latex layer instead they will replace it with a solid layer with your choice of firmness at no charge.

Flobeds uses Latex International for their blended Talalay and Radium for their 100% natural Talalay. SleepEZ uses Radium for both as their “default” although they will provide LI Talalay for those that request it.

Phoenix

I spoke with Sleep EZ and went over everything with them, we were on the phone about an hour, answered all my questions.
He said that he doesn’t really recommend Dunlop since they are inconsistent and no two are the same, that it is better to go talalay all the way. He said either soft/med/med, soft/med/firm, or soft/firm/firm would be the way to start out. II’m leaning towards the soft/med/med first to see how that feels. But it is happens to be too soft, then would just change out the bottom layer to firm.
Any additional swaps after the first one ($30) he said would probably run $65 each way for shipping from AZ to FL.
When I asked about the difference between Latex International and Radium, he said that he prefers the Radium as they are a bit more consistent.

So at this point I’ll probably do the ordering by Monday, is it would be here by the following Monday.
I just have to get the timing worked out for Mattress Firm to pick up this Tempur Pedic, then get my carpets cleaned (which I’ve been wanting to do) and then put this one together with my friend…without more than a few days in between sleeping on the couch!

Hi FAUguy,

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up choosing when you pull the trigger.

Phoenix

I’m going to be ordering the Sleep EZ 10" in the next few daya. Probably with the soft/med/med talalay first to see if it is the right balance of soft and support, as the Savvy soft/med/firm I tried a few days a go was a bit firmer than I like. But if it ends up being too soft, then would probably change out the bottom layer from med to firm. I think soft/firm/firm would be too firm for me.

I’ll also have to get a Cal King metal bed frame either locally or on Amazon. The basic ones are listing for around $50, but the better quality ones aare showing $100-150 with much better reviews.

Hi Fauguy

If you order the S/M/F then you would also have more combinations to try including S/M/M and S/F/F so you could test different combinations without needing to do a layer exchange and then if you needed to you could exchange a layer based on your actual sleeping experience on different combinations.

Phoenix

[quote=“Phoenix” post=49318]Hi Fauguy

If you order the S/M/F then you would also have more combinations to try including S/M/M and S/F/F so you could test different combinations without needing to do a layer exchange and then if you needed to you could exchange a layer based on your actual sleeping experience on different combinations.

Phoenix[/quote]
I not catching what your saying. If I went with a s/m/f and wanted to go to s/m/m or s/f/f I would still have to do a layer exchange right?
Same if I started out with s/m/m and wanted to go to s/m/f would be 1 layer exchange.

As far as a Cal King metal bed frame…is it better to have 2 side with 3 left to right supports:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0033YW39Q

Or 3 head to toe with two left right:
https://www.amazon.com/Metal-Bed-Frame-Adjustable-California/dp/B00NUD7T12

Hi FAUguy,

[quote]I not catching what your saying. If I went with a s/m/f and wanted to go to s/m/m or s/f/f I would still have to do a layer exchange right?
Same if I started out with s/m/m and wanted to go to s/m/f would be 1 layer exchange.[/quote]

If you have S/M/F on each side of a split layer mattress then you would have two layers of each firmness (one on each side of the mattress) so you could rearrange the layers in different ways on one side of the mattress (such as S/M/M or S/F/F) to test a particular configuration and then if you needed to you could do a layer exchange so that both sides were the same as your “ideal” configuration.

[quote]As far as a Cal King metal bed frame…is it better to have 2 side with 3 left to right supports:
www.amazon.com/dp/B0033YW39Q

Or 3 head to toe with two left right:
www.amazon.com/Metal-Bed-Frame-Adjustabl...fornia/dp/B00NUD7T12[/quote]

While both would generally be fine … I would use the bedframe that has the greatest contact surface with the structural load bearing components of your foundation so if you are using a split cal king foundation or a KD foundation with a single center support rail in the middle I would use a bedframe with a center support that goes from top to bottom instead of side to side because the inside edges of each of your split foundation or the center support rail will be supported along their entire length.

Phoenix

OK, now I see what you mean, but the only thing is that since I’m the only one that sleeps in the bed, I wasn’t planning on getting split layers, but 3 full layers. I’m not sure if I would like the feeling of the split down the middle. I guess another way would be to have a solid soft on the top, the then split medium and soft underneath? That way it can still be reconfigured between SMF, SMM, and SFF, with a solid soft actress the top. But the thing is, I sleep on the left side-to-centet on the bed, and if it was SMM the left and SFF on the right, then if I were more in the middle I would feel it.

For the foundation, I would be using the wood KD that Sleep EZ sells (Cal King $380). They said that for King and Cal King, it would be two separate wood foundations you place next to each other.

So because of that, the 2nd link I had for that bed frame would provide the most structural support?
Knickerbocker Monster Frame:
https://www.amazon.com/Metal-Bed-Frame-Adjustabl...fornia/dp/B00NUD7T12
What’s interesting is the same company has one called the emBrace frame that is $300 (more than I would spend), but instead of having the center beam head-to-toe is is side-to-side
http://www.thesleepshop.com/store/pc/emBrace-Bed-Frame-California-King-Size-114p1585.htm

A friend sent me a link for this frame, but since it is a Clamp Frame with many pieces instead of solid metal, I don’t think it would be as strong as one of the others.

https://www.amazon.com/Hollywood-Bed-Frames-Adjustable-California/dp/B0019FYUI8/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hg_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=0E94B6M4YY3SY06M080X

Even though the assembly is a bit different, would there be a difference in using the KD frame from Sleep EZ $360, or the one from FloBeds $580? I think the slats on the FloBeds are a bit wider and also held in place with pre-installed bolts, while the Sleep EZ the top slats aren’t as wide and only held by velcro.

Hi FAUguy,

[quote]A friend sent me a link for this frame, but since it is a Clamp Frame with many pieces instead of solid metal, I don’t think it would be as strong as one of the others.

www.amazon.com/Hollywood-Bed-Frames-Adju...0E94B6M4YY3SY06M080X[/quote]

I don’t think there would be any issue with the strength of this bedframe.

[quote]Even though the assembly is a bit different, would there be a difference in using the KD frame from Sleep EZ $360, or the one from FloBeds $580? I think the slats on the FloBeds are a bit wider and also held in place with pre-installed bolts, while the Sleep EZ the top slats aren’t as wide and only held by velcro.
www.flobeds.com/products/7040CK[/quote]

The foundation from Flobeds has a more supportive surface with more wood and smaller gaps. While both would be suitable choices for a latex mattress … the Flobeds foundation would be stronger and have a less flex under the mattress.

Phoenix

Yeah, though if all I ordered was the Flobeds foundation, it’s $708 ($579 + $129 shipping!), so think I’ll have to pass on that. I’d consider it if it was a lower shipping rate or free ship.