Hate my Tempur Rhapsody, replacing with Aireloom or Prana

OK, now I see what you mean, but the only thing is that since I’m the only one that sleeps in the bed, I wasn’t planning on getting split layers, but 3 full layers. I’m not sure if I would like the feeling of the split down the middle. I guess another way would be to have a solid soft on the top, the then split medium and soft underneath? That way it can still be reconfigured between SMF, SMM, and SFF, with a solid soft actress the top. But the thing is, I sleep on the left side-to-centet on the bed, and if it was SMM the left and SFF on the right, then if I were more in the middle I would feel it.

For the foundation, I would be using the wood KD that Sleep EZ sells (Cal King $380). They said that for King and Cal King, it would be two separate wood foundations you place next to each other.

So because of that, the 2nd link I had for that bed frame would provide the most structural support?
Knickerbocker Monster Frame:
https://www.amazon.com/Metal-Bed-Frame-Adjustabl...fornia/dp/B00NUD7T12
What’s interesting is the same company has one called the emBrace frame that is $300 (more than I would spend), but instead of having the center beam head-to-toe is is side-to-side
http://www.thesleepshop.com/store/pc/emBrace-Bed-Frame-California-King-Size-114p1585.htm

A friend sent me a link for this frame, but since it is a Clamp Frame with many pieces instead of solid metal, I don’t think it would be as strong as one of the others.

https://www.amazon.com/Hollywood-Bed-Frames-Adjustable-California/dp/B0019FYUI8/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hg_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=0E94B6M4YY3SY06M080X

Even though the assembly is a bit different, would there be a difference in using the KD frame from Sleep EZ $360, or the one from FloBeds $580? I think the slats on the FloBeds are a bit wider and also held in place with pre-installed bolts, while the Sleep EZ the top slats aren’t as wide and only held by velcro.

Hi FAUguy,

[quote]A friend sent me a link for this frame, but since it is a Clamp Frame with many pieces instead of solid metal, I don’t think it would be as strong as one of the others.

www.amazon.com/Hollywood-Bed-Frames-Adju...0E94B6M4YY3SY06M080X[/quote]

I don’t think there would be any issue with the strength of this bedframe.

[quote]Even though the assembly is a bit different, would there be a difference in using the KD frame from Sleep EZ $360, or the one from FloBeds $580? I think the slats on the FloBeds are a bit wider and also held in place with pre-installed bolts, while the Sleep EZ the top slats aren’t as wide and only held by velcro.
www.flobeds.com/products/7040CK[/quote]

The foundation from Flobeds has a more supportive surface with more wood and smaller gaps. While both would be suitable choices for a latex mattress … the Flobeds foundation would be stronger and have a less flex under the mattress.

Phoenix

Yeah, though if all I ordered was the Flobeds foundation, it’s $708 ($579 + $129 shipping!), so think I’ll have to pass on that. I’d consider it if it was a lower shipping rate or free ship.

I made some local calls today at mattress stores to see what type of frames and foundations they sell (instead of ordering the KD one).
All their wood frames are solid flat on the top, not slatted. Would that be OK to use with the SleepEZ, or does it have to be slatted?

Hi FAUguy,

You can see my thoughts about a solid surface foundation in post #10 here. I would check if the solid surface is wood/MDF or cardboard but if it’s wood or MDF (not cardboard) then it would probably have little to no flex and would be supportive and solid enough and would probably be fine as long as there aren’t any other risk factors that could add to the risks of a solid surface that doesn’t provide any ventilation under your mattress.

Phoenix

[quote=“Phoenix” post=49500]Hi FAUguy,

[quote]I made some local calls today at mattress stores to see what type of frames and foundations they sell (instead of ordering the KD one).
All their wood frames are solid flat on the top, not slatted. Would that be OK to use with the SleepEZ, or does it have to be slatted? [/quote]

You can see my thoughts about a solid surface foundation in post #10 here. I would check if the solid surface is wood/MDF or cardboard but if it’s wood or MDF (not cardboard) then it would probably have little to no flex and would be supportive and solid enough and would probably be fine as long as there aren’t any other risk factors that could add to the risks of a solid surface that doesn’t provide any ventilation under your mattress.

Phoenix[/quote]
The Tempur Flat lists the following:
Wood MDF, wire, plastic (corner guards) OSB (top deck), fire retardent filler cloth, steel, padding (cotton) fabric.

Not really sure what OSB is.

Hi FAUguy,

OSB means “oriented strand board”.

If it’s a Tempurpedic foundation then it would certainly be solid and durable enough for a latex mattress.

Phoenix

OK. I was thinking that instead of the KD slat foundation that Sleep EZ sells and has to be assembled ($380) that maybe a more “sturdy” option would be the Tempur Pedic flat foundation ($500) that can be delivered and setup. But then again, Sleep EZ, FloBeds and Savvy all sell slotted for the breathability of the latex. The one from FloBeds is nice, but is like $700 shipped and the one from Savvy is $900, both of wich is a lot just for a foundation. So with the Tempur flat one for $500 delivered and installed, it didn’t seem like a bad option to me…though it’s not slatted.

I’ve decided that for the Sleep EZ mattress, I’m going to go with a full width Soft talalay on the top (I was told they are actually two pieces that are glued together for Cal King), then do a split Medium for the middle, and split Firm on the bottom. That way if the SMF doesn’t feel right to me, I can swap the bottom two layers and end up with SMM/SFF. Then once I decide which feels the best, (such as SMM), it would only be one comfort exchange to swap the two firms for medium on the other side.

Hi FAUguy,

The SleepEZ KD foundation can support 1500 lbs so I don’t think there would be much practical difference between them in terms of support but if you do decide on the Tempurpedic foundation then if you wanted to add some breathability to the surface you could always add a bed rug.

That makes a lot of sense to me :slight_smile:

A S/F/M layering would also be “in between” the two combinations you mentioned.

Phoenix

I got the Organic 10" Cal King ordered today. I ended up going with the solid (glued) soft on the top, with one side medium/medium and the other side medium/firm. That way I end up with SMM/SMF and can see which side I like more.
The price was $2160 with the 5% discount, and two of the shredded latex pillows. They said it should be sent out of Thursday, and I should have it by next Thursday.
Tomorrow I’m going to go back to City Mattress and see about ordering the metal bed frame and (wood) foundation from them for delivery and installation next week.
In the mean time, Mattress Firm is picking up the Tempur Pedic Rhapsody on Monday and having all the carpets cleaned on Tuesday.

I hope the latex works out for me, and the Rhapsody has been a nightmare for the last 3 months.
My 15 year old sofa provides a better quality sleep experience.

Hi FAUguy,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

As you know I think you made a great quality/value choice and I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and had a chance to sleep on it.

Phoenix

The Tempur Pedic Rhapsody Luxe got returned Monday, carpets cleaned yesterday, and UPS delivered three 55lbs boxes with the SleepEZ mattress today. I’ll just have to wait until after tomorrow to set it up since Mattress Firm is coming back to install the metal bed frame with the two Tempur Flat Cal Queen foundations (75lbs each).

Hi FAUguy,

Thanks for the update … only one more night to wait till you can actually sleep on the results of all your research :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Mattress Firm installed the bed frame and the Tempur flat foundations.
The frame is Leggett and Pratt model 774R:
http://www.lpbeds.com/bed-frames/product.asp?cid=114&sid=124&pid=672
It is the Cal King model, but is only 72" length, which means the bottom 12" of the foundation hangs over the end of the frame.
I’m not sure if this would be an issue or not.

The other frame I was looking at (which I’d have to order online since Mattress Firm doesn’t sell it) is the Knickerbocker Monster, which is 80" in length, but has a 7th support in the center.
http://www.pcrichard.com/Knickerbocker/Knickerbocker-The-Monster-Adjustable-Bed-Frame/KB2007G.pcrp

When my friend comes over today or tomorrow to help me assemble the latex mattress, I’ll point it out to him and see what he thinks.
As of now, if I sit on the bottom end of the foundation, the top tips up.

Hi FAUguy,

This is less likely to be an issue when the mattress is on top of your foundation and frame but the knickerbocker foundation is certainly a very strong bedframe that is longer and has a support leg closer to the end of the mattress which would reduce the chance ot tipping when you sit on the end. Post #10 here also has more information about choosing a steel bedframe and some of them would also be similar as well with a support leg closer to the end of the mattress.

Phoenix

Ok.
My friend showed up a little but ago and we were able to assemble the latex mattress on top of the foundation.
It took about 30 min, including getting all the packing staples out of the boxes.
I have one side as S/M/F and the other side as S/M/M. With the latex on there, it does not tip.
Trying both sides for 10 min, the SMM feels a bit better to me, but I’ll be trying both sides out over the next few weeks.
Either way, it’s still more comfortable than the Tempur Rhapsody that was returned.

Hi FAUguy,

[quote]With the latex on there, it does not tip.

Either way, it’s still more comfortable than the Tempur Rhapsody that was returned. [/quote]

That sounds promising … and so far so good :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I tried to sleep on it last night, and again today some, and just can’t get comfortable on it…
When laying on my back, I feel like I’m laying “on top” of the mattress, there’s no “comfort cushion”.
When on my side, my hip and legs push the farthest into the mattress, but I can feel the latex pushing back, and after about 5 mins my hip and legs are hurting.
This is on the SMM side.

So at this point I’m not sure what to do. Do a comfort exchange and try a SSM, get a memory foam topper, or send it back and go with a " traditional " spring mattress (like an Aireloom).
This is really frustrating, but I’m not liking this “pressure” the latex is pushing back on me, almost feels like an air-mattress.

Hi FAUguy,

All new mattresses will go through an initial break in period and you will also need some time to adjust to a new sleeping surface as well so the “best” suggestion in the first few weeks would be to “do nothing” with the mattress and then assess how you are sleeping on a new mattress after that and decide on whether you need to rearrange or exchange any layers. There are also some suggestions in post #2 here that may also be helpful as well.

Phoenix