Having trouble picking a mattress protector

Hi,
I have an all latex mattress in transit that should be here on Monday, and I’m having a hard time figuring out what kind of protector I should order for it. My main concern is that I have an older cat who has had an accident on a previous mattress. I also need something that isn’t going to make the mattress sleep hot.

Does anyone know if a protector without a plastic backing, like wool “water resistant” protectors would be likely to protect against cat urination, or would it just penetrate through to the mattress? Liquid volume would probably be somewhere in the 150-200mL range.

There are some protectors on amazon made with tencel or bamboo fiber that claim to be both waterproof and breathable, but they are still using a polyurethane backing so I don’t know if this is just marketing. Is it possible for a backing to be waterproof and breathable enough to not run hot?

Any ideas or recommendations would be appreciated

Thanks!

Hi jacoro1,

Congratulations on your new mattress purchase! :cheer: What latex mattress you did you order?

Take a look at the mattress protector post #89 here. There are quite a few options listed with explanations of the various types of mattress pads and protector styles. A thin polyurethane film will provide the most breathability and still be waterproof and also take as little away from the feel of your new mattress.

You’ll want to avoid plastic/PVC/vinyl backing (not breathable), and look instead for polyurethane, and a thin layer at that, in this style of product. While not as breathable as a layer of cotton, it does provide some breathability while being waterproof. Remember that water resistant is not waterproof, and a high concentration of liquid in one area can penetrate a water resistant pad quite quickly. Of course, it would depend upon the actual pad and its construction.

These would be your typical mattress protectors, and polyurethane can be both “semi-breathable” and waterproof. Whether or not it would be “too hot” for your personal preference could only be determined through your actual use.

Phoenix

Thanks for all the info!

The mattress I have coming is a Sleep EZ 10" Organic in Cal King.

After reading a lot of posts on here and spending too much time looking at amazon reviews, I think I will just order one of the waterproof Luna protectors and see if I can tolerate it. My assumption is that if I’m too hot on that one, I probably would be on any of the other polyurethane backed protectors as well. If it doesn’t work out I will probably look into one of the pricey wool pads and just hope they are sufficient protection from liquids.

Hey jacoro1,

I’m a quite warm sleeper and I have an all latex mattress, but the covering is a stretch knit and not the same as what SleepEZ uses. I needed waterproof capacity because of pets, and I initially tried my old Premium Protectabed protector, but found it too warm for my taste with the latex. I then switched to their Luxury protector (thinner polyurethane film and also no cotton toweling but Lyocell (Tencel) covering, and it was much better, and that it what I currently use. Take this FWIW, and of course depending upon your temperature sensitivity YMMV, but I hope that information is helpful. [And in full disclosure, I do carry Protectabed products in my business, so that is why I chose that particular brand for my home.]

Jeff Scheuer
Mattress To Go

Thank you for the tip Jeff

I have the Luna one ordered already, which seems very similar to the premium protect-a-bed. If it ends up too hot I will give the luxury one you mentioned a try.

jacoro1,

You’re welcome and I hope you don’t have to make a switch and the Luna works well for you.

Jeff Scheuer
Mattress To Go

Well, the Luna does seem a little hot but I was still able to sleep on it. The latex mattress on it’s own is a bit cooler than my old one which helps. I was surprised by the sound it makes when moving around though. Is the protect-a-bed luxury one somewhat noisy too? The Luna isn’t terribly loud but definitely noticeable. I never used a protector before so maybe I just didn’t know what to expect.

jacoro1:

No, the Luxury protector I have is very quiet. I don’t notice any noise at all. Have you washed the Luna yet to see if that helps?

Jeff Scheuer
Mattress To Go

I did wash the Luna before putting it on the mattress. The terry material was quite stiff when I opened it, and washing only softened it slightly. Maybe additional washings would soften it further and possibly help with the noise it makes. I think I will try the one you mentioned though and just have the Luna as a backup. At least it was inexpensive!

jacoro1:

I think you’ll notice quite a positive difference between the Luna you have and the Luxury from PAB in the flexibility, thinness and noise of the polyurethane film if you’re able to see on at a local retailer.

Jeff Scheuer
Mattress To Go