Health Care brand of memory foam?

Hi kedronb,

Health Care is a Chinese manufacturer that supplies memory foam and polyfoam to many manufacturers and are CertiPur certified for harmful substances and VOC’s.

ADMIN NOTE: *Removed 404 link|Archived Footprint: certipur.us/pages/for-industry/find-a-foam-supplier/hk-foam/

Like any mattress purchase though … outside of testing a mattress to make sure it’s a good “match” for you in terms of PPP, the most important part of a mattress purchase is to make sure you know the specifics of all the layers and materials that are in the mattress so you can make sure the doesn’t have any “weak links” and can make more meaningful comparisons with other mattresses.

The information you need for this is the thickness and type of material in each layer (listed from top to bottom) and the density of every memory foam (or gel memory foam) layer and every polyfoam layer in the mattress.

5 lb memory foam is a good quality/density material but I would want to know the thickness of the layer.

4 lb memory foam is a medium quality/density material and I would also want to know the thickness of this layer. It is often used in a memory foam mattress because they are often softer, faster responding, and more breathable than higher density memory foams (the Tempurpedic Cloud series for example are the softest mattresses they make and they use 4 lb memory foam as part of their construction). They would be a good choice for average body weights although with higher body weights (more than about 200 lbs or so) I would consider minimizing the use of 4 lb memory foams for durability reasons. If the 4 lb layer is under a higher density layer (which it appears to be in this case) it will tend to be more durable than if you were sleeping directly on the 4 lb layer on top of the mattress. You can read more about the factors that can affect the durability of a mattress in post #4 here.

I would also want to know the density of the polyfoam base layer although this will have less of an effect on the durability and useful life of a mattress (unless you are in a much heavier weight range which compresses the base layers more).

Assuming that the density of the polyfoam base layer is good quality for its price range and that the mattress is a good match for you in terms of PPP and you are not in a higher weight range … then there are no obvious weak links in the mattress that I can see.

Outside of making sure that the mattress is a good match for you and there are no weak links in the mattress in terms of quality/durability, then the other parts of your personal value equation that are important to you and how the mattress compares to others you are considering would be the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase.

As you mentioned … Midwest Bedding is one of the members here which means I believe they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of quality, value, and service (outside of the Serta Mattresses they carry which I would avoid).

Phoenix