Heat sensitive sleeper wants a waterproof mattress protector.

I just had a 7 year old mattress denied warranty coverage because of a stain. Because of the pattern on the mattress itself, the stain blends in and you don’t even notice it from 10 feet away. But when you get closer, you can see there is a stain there, probably from bodily fluids.

I was using mattress protectors, but the breathable kind. One of the two I would switch out was the St Dormier wool mattress protector. The other one was just a heavy cotton one.

But since the warranty denial, I’m gonna go back and try waterproof, less breathable ones again on my new mattress.

Here are some that seem interesting I’m hoping to get feedback on:

Bear Mattress Protector - found this one from a BusinessInsider.com review. It wasn’t a very thorough review. But it did make a quick favorable comment about it not sleeping hot. It’s more expensive, for the extra cash, I’m not positive what I’d be getting. They’ve got some proprietary technology fabric.

Coop Home Goods Mattress Protector - just found this searching on Amazon. Gets really good reviews. Lot of people who say they have heat problems sleeping say they like this one. You can find these comments more easily by using Amazon’s feature where you can search reviews by keyword.

SafeRest Mattress Protector - this one was recommended by my favorite consumer products review site, TheWireCutter.com. But it doesn’t seem to cover mattress protectors as well as other products. E.g., there’s little mention of heat sensitivity in their mattress protectors roundup. The Amazon reviews do seem to have favorable comments from heat sensitive sleepers. Though not as favorable as the Coop Home Goods product above.

Also, If there are products I should know about, I would love to hear about them.

Looking at this more today.

The Bear one, there’s just not enough info out there. I’d basically be beta testing it,

The Coop Home Goods one. I was reading more Amazon customer reviews today. It seems like some people are reviewing a different product. Some people are calling this protector a pad. And others are simply saying the product is not waterproof although it is clear from the marketing’s it is meant to be. And others are raving about what a great job the thing does protecting their mattress from stains. I’m wondering if these reviews have been manipulated somehow? I’ve seen in the past where I’ve reviewed a product well on Amazon. And several others have done the same. Then the seller will switch the product the review is for to something else they probably make more money off of. But I’ve seen that with products that have like 30 reviews. This one has like 3,500 reviews.

SafeRest - guess I’ll read the Amazon reviews closer later today. So far this one looks like the one I’m going with, wouldn’t:t hurt to save some money. Even though I don’t mind at all spending it to get better sleepi.

Hi levander.

Many protectors are not fully water-tight, the cotton protector will absorb moisture, but depending on thickness and the way it’s woven moisture can reach the mattress to various degrees. The case of a wool protector such as St Dormier focuses more on breathability and temperature regulation and if the water content percentage is larger than what the wool can absorb the wool can become moisture saturated in the area of the spill, and moisture can bleed through onto the mattress.

I do not have experience with any of the products you listed but you are on the right track with your research. Hopefully, someone that used any of these products will see your post and chime in. While both SafeRest and Coop’s large no or reviews on Amazon can be compelling I’d try to read between the lines of what the consumer’s point of focus is in terms of the benefit they are looking for. I’ve seen a few low star reviews mentioning that they got stains using this product which voided the mattress warranty. You are also correct that some reviews are amalgamated from similar products of the same company that is different or changed over time.

If it were me and if the product is returnable, I would test the 100% waterproof claims on a corner of the protector’s top surface. Place some absorbent fabric under it and a weight on top of the experimental surface to keep everything in place and to create some indentation in which spill can collect. Then I’d pour some colored liquid and leave it overnight. Beet juice may quickly reveal some waterproof weaknesses but it would probably be impossible to wash :slight_smile:

As you already noticed there are tradeoffs for different types of protectors. E.g. a thin membrane protector which is advertized as waterproof may still allow water vapor to go through … it will be less breathable and can add to the sleeping temperature of the mattress because it can’t disperse the water vapor as easily as wool or stretch knit cotton protector and depending on the materials in your mattress it can “negate” some of the breathability effects of the layers below it and add to the insulation effect instead of the ventilation. People choose these because they are thin and can have less effect on the feel of the mattress and can have a high level of protection against liquid spills but the tradeoff is that they can raise the temperature. You had the water-resistant type (not waterproof) but a more breathable mattress protector that is much more temperature controlling and effective for all but the worst spills would choose wool and then others who want something more breathable yet that has little effect on the feel of the mattress but that only absorbs moisture (from normal sleeping) but may not provide great protection against accidents (unless you remove them quickly) and doesn’t “resist” liquids would choose cotton.

Protectors typically surround the mattress and are quite thin whereas pads can be a little ticker and can alter the mattress’s comfort and feel. Post #10 here has more information about mattress pads, protectors, and the difference between them. Halfway through post #89 here there’s more about the pros and cons of different types of mattress protectors for those who want (or don’t) to affect the feel and performance of their mattress. You may wish to check out some of our members here who have good pads/protectors that they recommend using. Also have a look at different types of mattress protectors here and here .

I hope this helps a bit as you deepen your research.

Phoenix