Heavy Side Sleepers

Looking for some input on a latex mattress to support two shorter people weighing 190 and 240 respectively. Have read some posts and have a rough idea to configure the components as follows:

HR polyfoam base - EverFlex V44 - 5"
3" Dunlop Latex - ILD ~35
3" Talalay Latex - ILD ~25

This would be 11" total depth and would cost a bit over $1000. Would be interested in any thoughts one way or another?

Hi bbny,

There are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved to use “theory at a distance” or specs (either yours or a mattress) for anyone to know whether a mattress is a good match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences … see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

The most reliable way to know whether your design is a good match for you would be to test either this specific design or a very similar design in person.

There is nothing “obviously wrong” with your design relative to your weight or the quality of the materials and it would be “in the ballpark” based on “theory” but there is no way for someone else to know whether it is “right” or a “home run” for either or both of you either unless you have tested it or until you actually sleep on it.

The cover you choose can also make a significant difference in the feel and performance (and of course the cost) of the mattress as well.

Phoenix

We live in a rural location so it is tough to test and we’ll probably need to take on some risk but with enough research we can at least know that we’re in the ballpark. That in itself would be a big improvement over where we are at now.

How important is depth? I’ve read that it is a preference thing and you see a lot of latex mattresses in the 8-10" range, but maybe they wouldn’t perform well for heavier folks. I’m just wondering whether there would be much difference going from a 5" base to a 3 or 4". You see hybrids with 7-8" of core, but perhaps that is to achieve a bigger total number for marketing.

Hi bbny,

You can read a little more about the effect of depth in layers or a mattress in post #14 here. It’s certainly one of many factors that can make a difference in terms of PPP.

Phoenix

This is just an update on the design we ended up with from top to bottom:

2" N2 Talalay
2" N3 Talalay
6" N4 Talalay

As reported in a previous thread, we used the Organic Cotton Zippered Mattress Cover from Arizona Premium and it is quite nice.

The design seems to be working out pretty well, although we may have overshot on the softness. When sleeping on the side for a longer period of time there is some pain in the rib area after a time. This seems to be a positioning thing and can be mitigated by putting a thin pillow underneath the rib area where the discomfort is. I’m not completely sure, but I’m wondering if the comfort layers are too soft causing the trunk to get out of alignment. Fortunately, this is only affecting one of us, but we may consider swapping out one of the layers.

Hello bbny:
Can you please share the name of the retailer from whom you bought the mattress? Also did you buy all the layers in “100% Natural Form” or the latex layers were blended? What ILDs did you select for each layer? And most importantly how much did you end up spending in total, including shipping and everything.

Thanks,

We went with Natural Talalay Latex – that is what the “N” prefix represents. SleepLikeABear.com has a nice ILD scale - ILD Scale and you can see the N conversion.

The latex runs around $100 an inch for a full size slab. If you can get your latex local, you can avoid shipping.

We paid about $170 for the cover.

Thanks bbny …
So I assume you bought both the cover and the latex layers from Arizona Premium Mattress, is that correct?