Heavy weight - Tempurpedic Could Supreme Breeze alternatives

Good morning,

I came close to purchasing a 3500$ Dormeo 8700 and actually put an order together before I read this forum and then walked in Sleep Country and cancelled my order. Suddenly I could get the mattress for 900$ less go figure. What a ripoff! Either way I canceled my order. The other mattress that felt very comfortable to me was the Tempurpedic Cloud Supreme Breeze so I am looking for similar options. I then looked at the Novosbed which according to my research is well built although being at 320lbs right now with chronic pain due to a whiplash injury I would like my mattress to last and be comfortable for many years to come and the polyfoam core is a weak link in that situation. There is a few more options but would like help in my selection. I am looking for something similar to the Tempurpedic Cloud Supreme Breeze in firmness and would like something that will fair well with my weight. I am from Ottawa Canada so I am not sure what online companies with similar return policies as Novosbed are available to me or what are my best local options. Any help is appreciated.

Hi fishv12,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

I’m sorry about your bad mattress shopping experience. It is off-putting to find out that some retailers will dramatically lower the price if you threaten to walk out the door, but will be perfectly happy to charge you a much higher price if you are more “agreeable” during your shopping experience.

For those of a higher BMI, post #3 here has more information and suggestions about higher BMIs that is worth reading.

Higher BMI ranges will need more durable materials and components in a mattress and in a BMI range of 30 or higher I would include any 1.8 lb polyfoam or 4 lb memory foam as a “lower quality/density” material (relative to a higher BMI only) and minimize their use to a total of “about an inch or so or less” in the mattress.

Polyurethane foam: If your mattress is one sided then I would look for 2.0 lb per cubic foot density or higher. If the mattress is two sided then I would use a minimum density of 1.8 lbs per cubic foot or higher.

Memory foam (or gel memory foam): If your mattress is one sided then I would make sure that any memory foam is at least 5 lb per cubic foot. If the mattress is two sided then I would use a minimum density of 4 lbs per cubic foot.

For help in making comparisons, the Tempurpedic Tempur-Cloud Supreme Breeze 2.0 (these are USA specs) contains:
2" TEMPUR-ES comfort layer 4.1LB
2" TEMPUR-Climate Material 5.3LB
4.0" Airflow Base Layer 2.2LB
3.5" Airflow Base Layer 2.2LB

You can perform a forum search on Ottawa here (just click on the link) to see if any businesses have been discussed close to your home. Unfortunately, it’s beyond my capacity to maintain a listing of the offerings for the various stores in geographic regions in an ever-changing market, so I wouldn’t have an idea of what stores near your home might offer memory foam products.

Besides Novosbed, which you already mentioned, you may wish to investigate another site member here, Memory Foam Comfort. They are located in Quebec, but ship all over Canada and they offer a component-style memory foam mattress where you can attempt to “approximate” the Cloud Supreme Breeze. Also, site member Dormio is located in Ontario, but they specialize in organic latex mattresses, not memory foam. I think highly of three of these site members.

While it is a bit of an older list, here is some online mattress sources for Canadians in post #21 here.

If you investigate other products and have questions about them, I’ll do my best to answer those questions for you.

Phoenix

Thank you for your quick reply Phoenix you were the person I was hoping to get answers from. I would consider other options such as latex as from what I can read it is a better longer lasting material. But I have no idea what one feels like and like the sinking feeling and pressure relief that a memory foam seems to offer. I have read that latex has a more bouncy feeling which is somewhat of an in between memory foam and a spring mattress feeling although offers pressure point relief such as the memory foam. I wonder where I may be able to try one just to get a feel for it. I am not partial to the Tempurpedic mattress I was just trying to set a reference point as to how it would feel. I guess medium firm is what I am looking for. If I was to consider latex what should I be looking for?

All things considered I was wondering if you knew any models off hand that you would recommend for my situation? The list is long not that I am asking for you to do my homework I just thought maybe you came across one or two that you might remember.

I looked at Memory Foam Comfort and the Cumulus seems like a good option for me actually considering it’s build has nothing under 5.0lb per cubic foot for memory foam and 2.0lbs per cubic foot for the poly foam. Although it has only three actual layers does that make any difference or is more layers a better thing for comfort? Their other model the Presto has a 4.0lb per cubic foot layer of memory foam so that wouldn’t work.

There is a retailer called Matelas Lapensee which builds their own mattresses here locally which I wonder if you have any opinions about. I might explore as well using your guidelines.

Hi fishv12,

You’re very welcome.

Latex is more resilient (bouncy) than memory foam – you are correct. It has a feel that some people describe as buoyant, versus the more “dead” feel of memory foam. Both materials are very point elastic and contouring.

I would find a local retailer offering all-latex products and lie down and simply try a few out. All latex you’re likely to encounter will be a good quality and durable material, so it would come down to the overall softness of any latex mattress you might be considering.

Ahh…I think you’re asking me to do a little of your homework for you :wink: . While I can certainly help with “how” to choose … It’s not possible to make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

I would phone them with your situation, as they can sometimes come up with options that are a bit different from what is displayed on their web site. They certainly would have materials that could suit your needs, should you desire the type of memory foam products they offer.

I only know that they have been making mattresses for over 100 years and they do tend to be informative about the materials they use, so hopefully it would be an educational visit should you go to their store.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thanks for the specs on the Cloud Supreme Breeze.

I’m wondering if you have those specs for the Contour Elite Breeze and the Cloud Luxe Breeze? If not, where did you find the specs for the CSB? I can’t seem to find these specs.

Also wondering if in general, not taking into consideration personal preference, is the Contour Elite Breeze a better match for heavier people than the the Cloud Supreme or Cloud Luxe? Just because it is firmer as opposed to softer? Or does the comfort layer even affect support when it comes to memory foam?

I ask because with too soft an inner spring mattress I get a sore back, but I know that at least with the Cloud Luxe, the same support layer that is in the Contour Elite is in the mattress, just lower down under the ES material.

Thanks!

The contour collection is made with more durable foams then the cloud collection.
If you can - go lay on the tempurpdic rhapsody luxe. It’s the softest of the contour collection but not firmer then the cloud.

A mattress in the contour line would be a better choice for heavier weights if you are buying a tempurpdic.

You really need to go to the store and lay on each of them for as much as a half hour each to see how they feel as they contour around you.

Thanks Ari,

Unfortunately Sleep Country doesn’t carry the Rhapsody Luxe. If I wanted a softer feel, my only choices are the Cloud series or the Adapt and ProAdapt series, and I definitely need the breeze option, which leaves me with the Cloud Supreme, Cloud Luxe or staying with the Contour Elite. I’m kinda leaning towards sticking with what I have since I do wake up without a back ache, and trust that it will soften a bit over time. I’d rather have a more durable bed, for sure.

This forum is very helpful, thanks so much for your input.

Hey I actually registered after lurking for so a while. To wish you luck for in your hunt.

I’m a bigger guy and I’ve got some really bad nerve damage in my shoulder. It makes most beds actually painful for me, depending on how they press on my shoulder. I’ve laid on probably 40 beds ranging from hybrids, latex, BIBs, and standard coil spring mattresses.

I’m envious of your budget, I’m bending my wallet backwards, to squeak out $1500 CAD for base and mattress.

After everything, you may want to look at a smaller builder so you can build a bed to suite with dense enough foams to handle your weight. A result of my looking into the BIBs… Endy says max weight is 250lbs per side while Novosbed and Silk and Snow both say they top out at 300lbs per side.

Ironically the old model Endy, they changed their foam recently, was one of the beds that was actually comfortable for a short lay down for me. But I’m way past the weight range for the foams and past their generous limit, and I’m not sure how they’re updated design feels. They deleted the gel infused memory foam top layer, and went with a breathable type like Novosbed.

I’m looking at a Dreamstar Bedding Royal Riviera mattress, as I’ve talked the local small shop into a price I could handle. The floor mattress feels great on my back and one side, which makes it one of the few, not thrilled the sleep guarantee is only 30 days, but it does have a 15 year non-prorated warranty(which I hope is a statement to the quality). Their isn’t much out there about them out there though.

I believe Dreamstar Bedding is almost local to you as well, and they offer some interesting looking memory foam, latex, and hybrid mattresses. So that may be an option for you.

I apologize for my long winded reply, but hopefully there’s some value in my post.

Edit: Spoke to Dreamstar on facebook, they gave lots of information in a marketing type of speak, but when I asked about the details on the foam, I was told that the person didn’t have the information. I sent them an email week ago, and I haven’t received any reply to that. So that’s kind of disappointing. Guess it’s not something they are asked about often.

Thanks for taking the time to write. I appreciate all the information. Unfortunately I have to stick with brands carried by sleep country as they only do exchanges.

I’ve been sleeping on the Contour Elite Breeze for just over three weeks now. I discovered that if the room is cold, I wake up feeling beat up since the cold room causes the memory foam to be firmer. So I have to turn the heat on in my room, which is unfortunate since I prefer to sleep in a cool room. Not to mention the added expense.

However, when the room is warm the mattress is quite comfortable. I would still prefer something slightly less firm, but I don’t think going to the soft version of this mattress is a good idea… I think I would regret it.

I am very impressed by the Breeze component of this mattress. I am generally a hot sleeper, and even with the heat left on in the bedroom, I have not been overheating.

Hi nollepion! You have likely gone past your trial period but I figured I would reply anyway. I’m currently shopping for mattresses and was also in love with the Rhapsody Luxe, though this was about three years ago. I’ve also found it quite difficult to locate a Rhapsody Luxe in-store. It’s come to my attention that Tempur-Pedic has a model called the Countour Luxe Breeze that is touted as the replacement for the Rhapsody Luxe. I popped into a Relax the Back store yesterday and got a chance to lay on it. It has been three years since I laid on the Rhapsody Luxe, but I do recall the feel and would agree with the sales rep that the Contour Luxe Breeze has a very similar feel. You might wanna try it out, if there is any chance you’re able to negotiate an exchange this late in the game.

I’m currently trying to decide whether it is worth it to gamble on the Christeli Charleston, said to have a similar feel to the Rhapsody. The issue with that one is the lack of a refund policy. You can only exchange the mattress over a 50-day trial. The other issue is that Christeli is no longer transparent about the density of their foam, which makes it tough to make a purchase since there is also no hope of a refund if it just doesn’t work out. I may have to bit the bullet and buy a Tempur-Pedic, as I at least know that if I hate the doggone thing after around 90 days or so, I can exchange or get a full refund and start fresh. I may go that route just to make sure I really like memory foam as much as I do during demos, as I’ve come to the conclusion that your first foray into a non-innerspring mattress is likely going to take a leap of faith. I consider it an investment in knowledge of what materials I dig and don’t dig. If memory foam doesn’t work out, I’ll likely be an innerspring guy for life. I’ve tried latex and something about it just doesn’t grab me. I almost grabbed a hybrid from a local store (Texas Mattress Makers), but the density of the memory foam is below the guidelines for a 225-pound individual, which I am.

I’m grateful mohave stumbled upon your thread, even thought it is months old, as typing all of this has almost served as a sort of journal entry. Talking it out, so-to-speak, has made me realize that I need to give the memory foam a solid shot and make sure it’s right for me. To do that, I’ve either got to plunk down the coin for a Tempur-Pedic, knowing that I can get a refund if it doesn’t work out long-term, or tae a chance on the Christeli, hope they’re still using 6 lb/5 lb foam on the top comfort layers, and chalk it up as an investment in insight should it not fit the bill long-term.

I feel a bit better having talked this all out, but man… it shouldn’t be this difficult to buy a bed, lol!