Helix Sleep

I was rather excited at the prospect of a customized mattress and I hadn’t found this site before making my purchase. If I had read what Phoenix said about the potential issues with weight and this mattress, I would have stayed far away. If you are overweight I would steer very clear of Helix.

I made my purchase in January and delivery was pretty straight forward, the box arrived pretty trashed, they really need to revisit their fancy shape, it’s not helpful. I used the enclosed letter opener to cut through the plastic and it caught the cover and snagged it in a couple spots. Once open I noted that the cover had 2 dirty spots on it. I reached out to helix to let them know and they promptly responded and offered to replace the mattress. They also said they were working on the box issue as it’s happened before. I told the representative that replacing an otherwise functional mattress seemed like overkill and I was actually just wanting them to know what happened. She then offered a $100 credit because of the dirty cover, to which I agreed and found was fair. I was never able to clean that spot, it just got darker and pilly when I tried.
A month into my trial I emailed helix
“So I’ve made it a month and while I’m not in pretty serious pain when I wake up anymore, my neck still hurts and I’m still unable to sleep on my side from my hip hurting. Also, perhaps you haven’t (and I’m not going to mince words here) had many fat people buy your mattress, but there is a fairly significant impression from the area’s I’ve slept. I try to sleep in different spots but you can still feel an impression. It’s not visible but I’ve had friends lay on the mattress to see if they could tell and they could.
Honestly I’m really disappointed, I was hoping with the latex and the microcoils this would be significantly better than a memory foam mattress or tuft and needles more affordable mattress but that isn’t currently how I’m feeling. :frowning:
If you guys need any other more specific feedback let me know. I know you’re a new company and I’d be happy to help.”

They responded quickly with some questions and an apology. They wanted to know if my issues ere subsiding and if I could send photos of the dipping. After reading some of the reviews on other sites I had seen people posting photos using bowling balls so I figured I’d try to do the same thing. I sent them the original photo as well as the composite. I received a response asking about the foundation, to which I replied that it was a platform, with no slats. There was a little back and forth on trying a topper for the pain vs an exchange, now that they had seen the dip and we settled on a replacement. Getting the replacement ordered took a few days and I was now dealing with a different representative. I explained my pain and asked if maybe a different configuration would work. We went over the details (like they have on the site) and the rep ordered a new differently configured mattress.

The new mattress arrived in the same wonky box but this time it didn’t seem as torn up. This mattress was also not dirty. I contacted them after the new mattress was setup, to schedule the return. They contacted the Salvation Army (who I personally have issue with but they didn’t seem to care that I volunteered to take it to Goodwill) who would come by in a week and a half to pick up the mattress. I stored the old one in the hallway. till that happened. In the meantime I noted that the new mattress was much much softer, but I figured maybe it would still be ok. The Salvation Army showed up as scheduled and picked up the mattress, I got a message from the original representative asking me if there was an issue with the pick up because I guess the Salvation Army didn’t confirm pick up. It felt a little weird like maybe they thought I didn’t have them pick it up. So I sent the pick up slip and a screen cap from a security webcam we have showing the truck. That seemed to placate them. Back to sleeping on the new mattress. It was way too soft and getting softer every day. I had friends try it out, I really had wanted it to work but after about 2 weeks I sent this.
"I need to set up a pick up for this mattress and a refund. I have tried to make this work and it’s just not going to happen. I thought maybe I was being over critical of this new mattress and had a few friends try laying on it for a while and every single one said it felt like an old hotel bed or something similar. Within the first week there was a noticeable dent in the middle of it. Now I find myself sleeping on the sides to have any sort of support. I am going to chalk it up to me being overweight for the mattress and I’m going to go back to a innerspring. You guys maybe should say something about weight being a potential issue because it certainly seems to be a problem. "

They responded with a new Salvation Army pick up date, over 2 weeks out. I sent this
"I asked my friends what they thought and we’re of the thinking that if the Salvation Army is going to sell the mattress it might not be a good idea. I am not exaggerating when I say it’s like a broken down hotel bed. There is no way anyone would believe this was a new mattress. But I’ll leave it up to you since I have it out of the way already. I’m back to using my old bed, which is firmer.
Either way, please outline what you need from me so I don’t find myself feeling like you think I’ve cheated you, like the last time.
I should also tell you that I plan on outlining this entire purchase on the Mattress Underground because I think it’s important to let people who are overweight know, that this bed is not one worth considering. "

This is the response I received.

My response
"I know you didn’t ask for photos but here is a composite for you, I took it for my review. This mattress is less than 3 weeks old and that is only a 14 pound ball vs a body. Also I went to the dr last week and I weigh 254, certainly obese but not 300 pounds like you’ve noted in your FAQ. If someone 46 pounds less than your maximum can render a 3 week old mattress to feel like a old hotel bed, you’ve got a problem. I don’t know if you want this information but I figure you’re a new company who seems to care about your customers so I’m relaying it. If you’d like to know anything else, I am more than willing to provide info so you can make a better mattress. "

I received no further communication. The mattress was picked up and I received a refund.

I really thought they’d take me up on feedback since they made it seem like they wanted to know, but clearly they want to stick with their, it’s fine for 300#, which cannot be true if you look at the photo I’ve included.

If you and/or your partner weigh over 200# I’d steer clear of this company and it’s product.

Not related to my experience but rather my research after the purchase, I have seen on a couple sites, one being apartment therapy, people questioning the integrity of the reviews on their mattresses. It seems that if someone posts an article on them, they send people to the comments to praise their product. That didn’t go over well on AT and I’m now a little suspicious of some of their glowing reviews.

Hi notahelixfan,

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments and experiences on your helix mattress … I appreciate it.

I’m sorry to hear that your mattress didn’t work out as well as you hoped for but it’s good to hear that you had the foresight to purchase a mattress with a good return policy so that you could try it out without any risk and that they were as responsive to you as they were. You were also fortunate that they allow you to return two mattresses since many companies only allow for only a single return and if you exchange your mattress instead of returning it and purchasing a different mattress from a different company then you would need to keep the second mattress.

While I would agree with you that the Helix mattress uses lower quality/density materials than I would normally suggest in higher weight ranges … in all fairness even low quality materials wouldn’t normally soften or break down that quickly so it’s more likely that the reason for your experience was that your mattresses were “on the edge” of being too soft for you in the first place so that even the normal foam softening that happens with any new mattress over the course of the first few weeks (see post #3 here) was enough to take you outside of the comfort/support range that is suitable for you (see post #2 here). In other words … I think that your mattresses just weren’t a good “match” for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) rather than your experiences being the result of a mattress that uses lower quality materials because durability issues would generally take much longer to become apparent.

In looking at your pictures it also “looks like” there could be an issue with the support system under your mattress which appears to be sagging and which may have been part or even all of the reason for your poor experience on the mattress as well.

Phoenix

The foundation is a 3/4" plywood platform that isn’t sagging. If your comment is because of the cover on the first composite image, it was stitched like that, it was crooked. The sagging you see is all mattress.
I’d be inclined to agree with you about the softness except that the original mattress was hard and just had a soft spot in the middle. Then the second mattress literally felt like an old hotel bed where you had to sleep around the middle. Maybe that’s normal and it is me that’s the problem.

Hi motahelixfan,

It’s certainly possible that plywood can warp but you can also check to see by using a straight edge or by putting your mattress on the floor to see if it makes any difference. While I realize it could be the pictures and it’s also possible that there could be an actual defect in the mattress as well … the last two pictures (131 and 155) certainly “look like” there is an issue with your support system.

Outside of an actual defect in the mattress or being an issue with the support system … the type of issues you experienced wouldn’t generally be about the durability of the materials or even about you or the mattress itself but that the “two of you” just don’t “match” in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP and this is just part of the risk with any online purchase and is the reason that the options you have after a purchase to either fine tune the comfort or support of the mattress or exchange or return it for a refund (and any costs involved) can be an important part of the “value” of an online purchase.

In any case … even if the mattress had been “perfect” for you … it still would have been a risky choice in terms of its longer term durability so things probably worked out for the best anyway.

Phoenix

Solid, flat, level.
3/4" plywood covered in a thin piece of batting and then a custom made bed skirt. The second mattress was put on the floor because it was around for so long, we laughed about the fact that you could sit on the side of the mattress and you sort of rolled to the middle.
I understand what you’re saying but that bowling ball was sinking into the mattress, not because of the foundation but because the mattress developed very deep soft spots in a very short amount of time. The ball is only 14 pounds, imagine how deep those spots were when someone slept on that mattress.

Hi notahelixfan,

I’m not sure of the reason for the sarcastic response but I appreciate that you took the time to post about your experiences on the forum and that other members can read about some of the potential reasons that they may have happened.

In any case … at the end of the day you received a refund for both mattresses so regardless of the reasons for your experience you at least had the chance to try it without any risk (outside of the time and frustration involved in trying and returning two mattresses).

I hope that the next mattress you choose works out better for you.

Phoenix

I had the same initial thought regarding the construction of the foundation (re: deflection). It would be interesting to see exactly how the bed set is supported underneath. A 3/4" of plywood will look flat without weight on it (like a coil box spring) but it will deflect significantly once weight is applied if not properly reinforced, which can then cause issues for alignment and of course damage to any style of mattress.

Even if the mattress is defective or a bad personal fit, it would still be important to make sure of the construction of the foundation so that it would eliminate any potential sagging in the center of any future products. I’ve had hundreds of clients through the years with improperly reinforced foundations and they’re always surprised at the difference in their comfort once that is corrected, on both new and old mattresses.

It’s like a home with a crack in the wall on the second floor. You always start at the basement and work your way up to see if there are any structural defects causing this crack. If you don’t address those foundational issues, the crack will reappear and you’ll end up patching that crack every year.

Regardless of the potential influence the foundation may or may not have had on mattress performance in this particular situation, or if the bed was just a bad fit/performer, it’s nice that the mattress company refunded the mattress price. Hopefully if someone else runs across a similar problem they can take the information here and use it to objectively analyze their particular situation to help isolate their specific issue.

Solid, flat, level.

The foundation is not the problem. It’s fully supported by more 3/4 inch plywood and 2x4’s. Standing over the area where the mattresses sagged, the level is still level. We can jump up and down and it’s completely solid. As stated previously putting the mattress on the floor produced the same results. The balls were sinking into the mattress and the mattress alone. I don’t know why it happened all I know is that 2 mattresses from the same company both produced the same sag in less than a month.

Hi notahelixfan,

Thanks for the update and the pictures of your foundation.

Since it’s clear that your support system isn’t the issue then based on the pictures in your first post it certainly seems to me that at least that mattress was defective. I don’t know if the other mattress you received had a similar defect (where the two different fabrics in the side panel don’t line up and there were visible impressions in the sleeping surface) but since it wasn’t a suitable “match” for you anyway I’m glad you were able to receive a refund for both mattresses.

Phoenix

I probably could have been more clear on the photos, the dirty spot, the snags and the crooked fabric were all the first mattress. The photo (131) with the bowling ball was taken a little over a month after receiving it. The mattress was really really firm, but for the spot in the middle. Based on that photo the Helix representative said that it looked like I got a defective mattress and then dispatched a new one.
The photo with the more pronounced dip (155) was the second mattress after 2 weeks. That’s the one I would describe feeling like a broken down, old hotel bed.
I suppose it’s entirely possible I received 2 defective mattresses, And yes fortunately I wasn’t stuck with their product. Though I would have done a straight return on the first mattress had I not been assured that my trial would still be valid.
It’s interesting to me that Helix removed the language about weight limits that they had added.

It does look like they added some additional language about replacements which would have had me return the first mattress and be done with them. It would have saved us both some time.

Hi notahelixfan,

[quote]The photo with the more pronounced dip (155) was the second mattress after 2 weeks. That’s the one I would describe feeling like a broken down, old hotel bed.
I suppose it’s entirely possible I received 2 defective mattresses, [/quote]

It would be very unusual to have two defective mattresses but (even one is relatively uncommon) but it’s certainly possible and your 155 photo certainly shows a pronounced dip.

Most companies only allow a single return but if a mattress is defective (rather than having a comfort issue) then a replacement would normally be covered by a trial period as well.

I looked at their site and they include this in their FAQ which seems reasonable although I don’t know when it was added …

[quote] How much weight can the Helix Sleep mattress hold?

For optimal performance, our mattress can hold up to 450 pounds of combined weight. We recommend a weight maximum of 250 pounds. Beyond this weight, our bed may not provide optimal support.[/quote]

Phoenix

Oh! I must have missed it, I went through it and didn’t see that. So that is the language they said they had put in there and they did adjust it with the new information I gave them, that’s good and makes me feel a little better about them. The weight they originally had was 500 and 300 pounds,