Help Buying a Good Quality Mattress in the United Kingdom

Hi, being new to this site I can see some great outlets in the U.S. That should be considered to purchase from, but being from the U.K. Are there any recommended shops or mattress makers the forum could recommend as the information here in the U.K. rarely states information on materials they use or their methods of construction, to make a fully informed purchase.
Purchase Creteria:
ÂŁ1,300 or $2000 limit
Medium to firm Mattress
What may be the best option of make or outlet

Thanks for any support.

Hi Mittb,

Unfortunately I don’t have any specific knowledge of the UK market but hopefully some of the information, comments, and search links in post #5 here may be helpful to you.

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding … and of course any comments or specific questions that I can help with along the way.

Phoenix

Thank you Phonix for such a promt response, from the link from your previous post, here in the U.K. JohnRyan beds seem to be the most transparent with how they make their beds and what materials actually used.

I now have the decision to make between Pocket Sprung, or Latex mattress…

Well keep you posted.

Thanks again

Hi Mittb,

I would agree and even though my knowledge of the UK market is very limited … based on what I have seen John Ryan beds would certainly be among my top choices.

You certainly have some good options to choose from including pocket coils with natural fibers, pocket coil latex hybrids, and all latex mattresses but the choice between each of them would really be a preference choice rather than a “better/worse” choice and would depend on which one your testing indicated was the best “match” for you. There is also more information about latex/pocket coil hybrids vs all latex mattresses in post #13 here and the posts it links to.

Phoenix

Though my gutt instinct is to buy through JohnRyan, I do want to try out a few mattresses at my local shops, as JohnRyan does not have any outlets, & is a direct web seller (helping keep costs down to pass on to the customer, but maintaining quality)

Below are 3 variant selections of pocket Spring matteresses, available to see/try at my local showrooms, (still need to find a latex variant for comparison)

My main objective would be to have something firm to medium-firm, which once bedded in, is comfortable but which would still keep shape and support spinal alignment, and not end up having the “dip in the bed” after a just a year or two of use as you see with so many mattresses, due to the failing in fillings used or craftsmanship.

I kindly wanted your take on the below 3 options, to which you thought is, would be better off. As you’ll see details a generic, & don’t include the level of detail provided by JohnRyan beds.

Part of Bensonsforbeds so called “Bespoke” collection:

This is a Sealy mattress and is using a layer of “Geltex” in combination of pocket springs:
bensonsforbeds.co.uk/mattresses/sealy-international-adelaide-nickel-leaf-mattress?variantSku=SEA150127
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: bensonsforbeds.co.uk/mattresses/sealy-international-adelaide-nickel-leaf-mattress?variantSku=SEA150127

Lastly there’s the matters by Silentnight:

This is incorporating memory foam with pocket springs

(Though this mattress doesn’t state which type of memory foam, or density, so my concern would be will it still keep shape, after a few years)

When travelling in the U.K., I found Relyon beds to be very comfortable to the point of investigating if it was possible to ship one across the ocean (sadly it was not)

Hi Mittb,

While I can’t speak to how any mattress will “feel” for someone else in terms of firmness, “comfort”, or PPP because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances … outside of “comfort” and PPP the most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress always depends on knowing the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new so I would always make sure that you can find out the information listed here so you can compare the materials and components to the quality/durability guidelines here to make sure that there are no lower quality materials or weak links that would be a cause for concern or compromise the durability and useful life of a mattress you are considering before making any purchase.

’
They don’t list all the information I would want to know about the materials and components in this mattress so it’s difficult to make any comments without more specific information but in very general terms it doesn’t appear to have any lower quality materials that would be a weak link in the mattress although with thicker layers of fiber materials it would be reasonable to expect some settling of the materials where you sleep.

ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: bensonsforbeds.co.uk/mattresses/seal...variantSku=SEA150127

Neither one of these provide any useful information about the materials and components in their mattresses … particularly the density of the foam layers … so it’s not possible to make any meaningful comments about either one. I would avoid any mattress where you aren’t able to find out the information that you need to know to make an informed choice (see this article) because the chances are very high that the materials inside them would be lower quality and less durable materials.

Phoenix

@ magpie,

Relyon matttresses are available from Longs Bedding in New York.

Well this is welcome news except that now that the Canadian dollar has sunk so low buying US is no longer an option either for us Canucks!

magpie