Help buying a mattress in metro Atlanta, GA area.

Hi soulgiver36,

Bamboo isn’t a trademarked name and is just a type of viscose/rayon fabric. You can read a little more about it in post #7 here. I’m guessing that “lyrica” is “lycra” and is a stretchy fabric that is used as part of the blend in fabrics to give them some stretch (you will often find it in clothing for example).

There is more information about some of the things you can check for if you are considering buying a used mattress in post #2 here and if you are considering buying a mattress from a liquidator or clearance store that sells used or returned mattresses without a warranty then there is more here and here and here that I would read before considering your purchase.

Buying a mattress that someone else has probably returned for “unknown” reasons and that doesn’t have a warranty would certainly be a very risky choice and “buyer beware” would certainly apply.

There is more about the 3 most important parts of “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price or course and the options you have available after a purchase).

While I can’t speak to how a mattress will feel or how different mattresses will compare in terms of comfort and PPP for someone else … outside of “comfort” and PPP the most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress always depends on knowing the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label (or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new) so I would always make sure that you can find out the information listed here so you can compare the materials and components to the quality/durability guidelines here to confirm that there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

I would walk away from any mattress where the retailer and/or manufacturer isn’t willing or able to provide you with all the information you need to make an informed choice (see the guidelines here).

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Atlanta, GA area (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets your criteria and the quality/value guidelines I linked earlier in this reply) are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix

I’ve been looking at the Christlei mattresses and they seem to be a really good value and they also provide the support system. I’ve been looking at the Lux estate mattress which is $1,500 and for its base it has natural latex for support and then for comfort it has 4 inches of 5.3 lbs density memory foam and on top of that, 2 inches of 6 lbs density memory foam and it’s all supposed to be super cool and then cashmere for the material on top of the mattress. The other is the Briella and Nene1957 that posted the loom and leaf topic ended up going with that one and says that is holding up after a year and that one is a 2lbs density polyfoam for the base support and has three layers and gives you the option of flipping the support layer to make it either firmer or softer and I like that ability but I think the latex would be a better deal but I don’t know. On top of the base for comfort is 5 inches of 5.3 lbs memory foam and then cotton for the material on top of the mattress. I have to still see and go out and lay on some mattresses this week. The Briella is a king size as well that’s on clearance for $1,000 but I would have to get sheets and a box spring so by the time I’m done spending that it will be more like $1,300 and the Lux estate is a queen and I have everything for that. I also did there 10 question survey to find out what bed would be preferable to me and those two came up. I’m excited about the two mattresses. And hope I like a latex support system.

I did look at that post and I’m still doing research and will do more, thank you very much Phoenix. I just wanted to share about the Christeli products and see what you think. I know I still have to go lay on some mattresses to see what material really works for me. I do like memory foam but have never tried latex.

Thanks,
~Frank

Hi soulgiver36,

While I can’t speak to how a mattress will feel for anyone else or whether it will be a good match in terms of PPP (which is the most important part of the “value” of a mattress purchase) because there are too many variables involved … in terms of durability all of the Christeli mattresses use high quality materials and there are no lower quality materials or weak links that would compromise their durability or the useful life of their mattresses.

According to their site … the Briella is an approximation of the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe Breeze and the Lux Estate is an approximation of the Tempurpedic GrandBed so you could use your testing on local Tempurpedic mattresses to give you an idea of which of these you may tend to prefer

While latex would be more durable “in theory” than even a high quality polyfoam support core … the deeper support layers of a mattress aren’t generally the weakest link of a mattress so while it could add some additional longevity for some people (more for those that are in higher weight ranges that would compress the deeper layers more) … a latex support core would be more about how it changes the feel and response of a mattress because latex has greater point elasticity (the ability of a material to contour to the shape of your body), a more resilient or springy “feel” compared to polyfoam (which some people may prefer), and a higher compression modulus (how quickly a material becomes firmer with deeper compression) and more “supportive” properties than polyfoam which can change the “feel” and performance of a mattress in terms of PPP.

Phoenix

I called Mattress Firm to see if they had the Grand Bed model because Christeli’s Lux Estate is comparable to it. I want to go lay down on it. When I Asked what the bed is made out of he said it was all tempur materials and that there is none other like it, kind of like the Coca Cola formula and that the Tempurpedic memory foam is special and it softens with your body heat and it’s unlike normal memory foam but I think he just gave me a bunch of BS. Is that BS or is there some truth to that?

Hi this is Frank again I just went by an SOS mattress and they had a Sealy optimum latex king size mattress for 1299 and that included the box spring which I thought was a good deal but supposedly it’s all synthetic latex and I was wondering if Phoenix or anyone, if you knew anything more about that bed?

Hi soulgiver36,

Not surprisingly … there is “some truth” and “some inaccuracies” in the information they provided you.

While Tempurpedic no longer provides the specific information about the materials they use in their mattresses … to the best of my knowledge the specs of the Tempurpedic GrandBed are in post #2 here.

There is more about the different ways that a mattress can “match” or approximate another one in post #9 here.

There are also many different types and formulations of memory foam that each can have very different properties from each other (response time, temperature sensitivity, firmness, “feel” etc) and some people will prefer the properties and “feel” of some types of memory foam more than others even though in general they are all slow response materials that have a very low resilience (springiness). There is more about the different properties that can be formulated into of different types of memory foam in post #9 here and in post #8 here.

Phoenix

Hi this is Frank continuing his quest to find the perfect mattress. I was interested in a mattress called Luxi Mattress. Does anybody know the quality of the material they use? they use Talala latex, memory foam and polyfoam and it’s very customizable and it also comes in Split sections when you purchase the Queen and the king and it’s reasonably priced for $900 comes with a thousand day trial period and a 10 year warranty.

Thanks

~Frank

Hi soulgiver,

As you know they are a new startup with little history (although one of the principles does have years of history in the industry apparently) and they are one of several new startups that aren’t yet included in the list of simplified choice mattresses mainly because they are so new.

They should be able to provide you with any information you need about the type and quality of the materials in their mattress when you talk to them on the phone (which I would consider to be a necessary part of any online purchase anyway) and if you can provide the information listed here about the materials in their mattress I’d certainly be happy to make some comments about the quality and durability of the materials they are using.

Phoenix

My wife and I have now gone to many mattress places and we’ve laid down on many mattresse. We really like the Sealy optimum elite courage and we really like the cloud luxe breeze and I really want to try out a christeli mattresss but the one I want is the Briella and recently a lady said in one of the posts that she didn’t like the upholstery on top and that it kind of takes away from the contouring memory foam feel which is a huge bummer because that’s what my wife and I really like and second we went to a mattress USA and they told me the thing that wears out first is the upholstery on top of the mattress. Is that true? The top quilted layer above everything else wears out first? That ladies review about the Briella on this site stated that the top was her only complaint in that it didn’t give the contouring effect she felt with the cloud luxe breeze. The only bed option from Christeli with no pillowtop upholstery is the Danieli but we tried out the contour rhapsody breeze bed it’s comparable to and the wife said it was too firm. The Danieli has a 6lbs 1" layer of memory foam on top and 5.3 lbs 4" layer beneath. We only live two hours from Greenville where Christeli is and were willing to drive there to see! If only they would let us lay on their beds. I’m calling monday to see. One other thing about this whole process is the people selling mattresses all seem to have one thing in common. You the costumer, no matter the research you yourself have done, is obsolete and is not important. This mattress usa store I went to in Kennesaw, GA. As soon as I asked what IDL the latex was on the pure latex bliss mattress he told me none of the numbers matter. He tried to sell me a beautyrest memory foam mattress saying it was great and the more dense memory foam is the firmmer it is and harder it is. And that the 3lbs foam is soft and that it holds up just as long and the density has nothing to do with durability. And the imprint your going to find on a mattress is on the upholstery because that is what wears out the quickest and so they stop making memory foam mattresses with a bunch of upholstery. Perhaps I can get the Briella with the Danieli cover! Or perhaps we should go with the Danieli? What could 1" of 6lbs memory foam do anyhow? sigh

Thanks for reading,

~Frank

Hi soulgiver36,

While other people’s comments about the knowledge and service of a particular business can certainly be very helpful … I would be very cautious about about using other people’s experiences or reviews on a mattress (either positive or negative) as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you and in many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because any mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (even if they are in a similar weight range). Reviews in general certainly won’t tell you much if anything about the quality, durability, or “value” of a mattress or how it will “feel” for any particular person (see post #13 here).

If an online mattress has a good return policy then you can try the mattress for yourself with little risk so you can assess whether the mattress is a suitable match for you based on your own personal experience (which may be very different from someone else) and if you find that the mattress you chose doesn’t work out as well as you hoped for then you can return it.

That would depend on the specifics of the mattress and the upholstery materials inside it.

When you sleep on a mattress the upper layers of foam will compress and deflect more than the deeper layers partly because the comfort layers are usually made to be softer than the deeper transition and support layers of a mattress (and firmness/softness is also a factor in the durability of a material) and partly because they are closer to the sleeping surface and subject to direct compression without any layers above them absorbing some of the compression forces first. It’s this constant deflection of the foam materials in the upper layers of the mattress that softens and breaks down the foam and leads to the loss of comfort and support in the mattress. This will also happen more under the heavier parts of the body such as the hips/pelvis than the lighter parts of the body. This is why the quality/durability of the upper layers (the top 3" to 6" of the mattress) are especially important in the durability and useful life of the mattress as a whole because they will usually be the weakest link in the mattress in terms of durability. The quality/durability guidelines that I would generally suggest are in post #4 here.

I would agree that with a local purchase knowing the ILD information for the various layers is mostly meaningless and will generally only add to confusion. With a local purchase, testing for “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) based on what your body tells you with careful testing is much more reliable than choosing a mattress based on complex combinations of specs that can take many years of experience to understand how they all interact together.

While for some people that have a great deal of experience in the industry or who design mattresses knowing the ILD information of the layers in a mattress can be helpful or even essential for business or design reasons, the ILD of a material is only one of many variables that determines how soft or firm the materials or a mattress “as a whole” that uses it will feel (see here) and ILD numbers are not comparable between different materials or in many cases between different versions of the same material anyway (see post #6 here).

For most people knowing or finding out unnecessary specs can be overwhelming and for those that do know a little bit about foam specs they can often tend to make choices based on specs alone or believe that they know more than they really do (for example making choices based on foam density or ILD alone when these are just two of many variables that can affect the feel and performance of a mattress). Too much information and too little information can both result in poor choices. In many cases mattress manufacturers don’t provide the ILD of their various foam layers because they are well aware of the risk of providing too much information to a customer and understand that for most people it would be more misleading than helpful. While knowing the specs of a mattress that can affect the durability and useful life of a mattress is an important part of making an informed choice … knowing the “comfort specs” of a local mattress isn’t nearly as important as listening to what your body tells you with careful and objective testing.

As I’ve already mentioned in the information I’ve linked in my earlier replies … density is the single biggest factor in the durability and useful life of memory foam and polyfoam but density isn’t directly related to firmness or the “feel” of memory foam. There is more about the different properties that can be formulated into of different types of memory foam in the posts I linked previously (post #9 here and in post #8 here).

In its simplest form … choosing the “best possible” mattress for any particular person really comes down to …

1. Careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial) to make sure that a mattress is a good match for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) … and/or that you are comfortable with the options you have available to return, exchange, or “fine tune” the mattress and any costs involved if you can’t test a mattress in person or aren’t confident that your mattress is a suitable choice.

2. Checking to make sure that there are no lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress that could compromise the durability and useful life of the mattress (see this article and the durability guidelines it links to).

3. Comparing your finalists for “value” based on #1 and #2 and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

I think that you can search on google for mattress review and you may also read many reviews for help and next you will choose mattress what you want.
Thanks
:slight_smile:

McCord wrote:

Online mattress “reviews” and “review sites” are some of the least reliable methods to choose a mattress. Most "reviews’ are simply short-term opinions rendered by people generally unqualified to present an educated analysis of the product, while most mattress “review sties” are simple revenue sites (see here).

You’re much better off learning about componentry through objective resources, like this site.

Thaks for the pointers. I am most likely going to go with a king size Briella Mattress from Christeli. I spoke with “mike” at Christeli and he told me I would feel the tufted cotton first but then the memory foam. Not exactly what I want but he said it feels really great and that he wouldn’t not buy a particular mattress based on how the cover felt. Plus I could return the bed if I am not satisfied. For a moment I almost got the Sealy optimum elite courage plush b/c I found it for 899.00 on ebay nearby me but it was as-is with no warrenty. Plus the durability of that mattress is considered less than fair. And though It feels nice now. . .it most likely will not in 4 years.

The review of the briella from Christeli was on this site and two other reviewers off this site stated that it did not feel like a memory foam mattress. So three people are all saying it. I have a feeling that its not exactly the same either but Im willing to try it out because so many others say how great it has been plus its good quality.

~Frank

Hi soulgiver36,

It’s a good thing that you avoided this mattress because it would not only be used but it has lower quality materials that would have had a significant risk of softening and breaking down and losing the comfort and support that was the reason you purchased it much too quickly relative to the price you would have paid (and possibly much sooner than 4 years).

As you know from my previous replies I certainly wouldn’t pay too much attention to other people’s experiences and reviews (either positive or negative) because each person’s experience on a mattress can be very different from someone else and they may be using a different mattress as a reference point for how they think a memory foam mattress “feels”. There are thousands of memory foam mattresses with different designs and that use different types of memory foam that can have a very wide range of “feels” (firmer or softer, faster or slower response, more or less temperature sensitivity and different layer thicknesses and designs) so there is no single “feel” for a memory foam mattress. All that really matters is that a mattress is a good “match” for you regardless of whether it would be a good match for anyone else.

Most importantly though … congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

You certainly made a good quality/value choice and I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback when you receive it and have had the chance to try it out.

Phoenix

Well I haven’t purchased yet. I’m waiting for Black Friday sale or Thanksgiving sale whatever. I’ve been praying and when I saw the eBay one it looked inviting yet I got a sickening feeling. And deep down I really want the Christeli mattress and I can not deny it. I’ve done the research, argued with salesmen and thankfully landed on this site. It is like the rod of truth to battle the lies and cut through the scams that the major players in this business try to sell you. I feel that next week is one of the best times to purchase a mattress. Even when the mattress companies told me that Black Friday was one of the biggest selling times for mattresses of the year not sure how true that is but I can wait one more week to see if Christeli has an even bigger sale. I saw the Easter sale flyer on a website for a previous year and it was $800 off a mattress + 2 free pillows, I can only hope right guys? :slight_smile:

Hi soulgiver36,

I guess my congratulations were premature :slight_smile:

Christeli has a permanent sale that changes its name and details with the time of year but are all very similar. You can see some examples of their sales from the wayback machine for Oct 7th, 2014 here and for Oct 27, 2014 here and for Feb 8th, 2015 here and for Mar 10th, 2015 here and for Jun 1st, 2015 here and for Sept 19th, 2015 here and their current sale here. Prices have changed and gone up in the last year but the sales are all the same except for a few of them that include 2 free pillows.

Having said that … it probably won’t hurt to wait another week.

Phoenix

I finally purchased and recieved my Briella mattress from Christeli. I like it and the memory foam really does adjust to my body temperature. It isn’t as soft as The tempurpedic cloud luxe, plus it has a pillow top cover to take away from the memory foam feel. Yet it does contour well. . . so I still get that memory foam feel. The wife on the other hand does not like the bed. She says its not soft enough and it cramps up her back. I read that the memory foam has to break in. Any way to guess how long that takes? Can I quicken the process? If it doesn’t satisfy us Luckily in 40 days we can return it. It’s going to be tricky getting it back into a tight roll like they shipped it tho. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi soulgiver,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

You certainly made a good quality/value choice and I hope that your wife comes to like it once she’s given it a little bit of time.

There will be a break in and adjustment period for any new mattress or sleeping system as the mattress loses any of it’s “false firmness” and the cover stretches and loosens a little and the materials settle and your body gets used to a sleeping surface that is different from what it is used to (see post #3 here). This would typically be a few weeks but it can be shorter or longer depending on the specifics of the person and the mattress. Some of the information in post #2 here may also be helpful.

Phoenix

Well it has been my first nights sleep on my new mattress. It hasn’t been very good at all. Not all is the mattresses fault. The mattress actually has two different parts The mattress protector I first put on it was an Allerease organic cotton top thats waterproof (it was on sale for 19 bucks now I know why!) Part of it is the base part of the mattress. (it has a firm side and a soft side). I had it on the firm side…I think. So I switched it in the middle of the night to soft and that mattress protector to a Slumber Shield Luxury Terry Top waterproof mattress protector (on ebay for 26 bucks!)

Sooo… The mattress feels better. And the wife hasn’t slept on the improvement yet she woke up and her leg locked up on her and you could see the bedsheets imprinted on her…It was definately not soft at the time. So now that the better protector is on and its base is on soft. . .hopefully things will get better.

Hi soulgiver36,

Thanks for the update.

Of course it’s just your first nights experience so things will change over the course of the first few weeks and I’m looking forward to your comments after you’ve had the chance to sleep on it for a bit longer as well.

I would also keep in mind that the shipping weights that are listed by Fedex are often less than the actual weight of the product so you would need to physically weigh the layer to get an accurate weight.

Phoenix