Help Buying a Mattress

Hi there,

I’m looking for a new mattress to get. I am currently sleeping on a Tuft and Needle original, but I’m having absolutely terrible backpain, usually in between my shoulders (if I sleep on my back) or on my ribs (if i sleep on my side). Generally, I switch sleeping positions pretty frequently, but none are remotely comfortable for me.

I’ve been looking into buying a new mattress. I really like the idea of buying from Sleep On Latex - they’re close to me, local, seem well respected and are a very reasonable price (1000).

However, I’ve heard people say that latex is very firm and I don’t know if that would be good for my current back/ribs problems given sometimes I sleep on my side. To that end, I’m also considering some hybrids like the Saatva classic, Ghostbed, and Winkbed.

Any bit of help or direction from you guys would be super super appreciated. Thank you!

Hi eckswire.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum. :slight_smile:

I’m sorry to hear of the pain you’re currently experiencing on your Tuft & Needle. I’m not sure how far you are in your research as you embark on this new mattress search, but based on your description, I’d suggest reading our article about the different sleeping positions and this forum topic that touches on the different causes of back pain on a mattress.

Without knowing your height and weight, it’s hard for me to offer much more meaningful commentary. You can evaluate the specifications of the mattresses you are considering with our Mattress Durability Guidelines here. I will also say, you can definitely find plush latex and it has comparable pressure relieving qualities to memory foam as well due to its ability to form itself to the exact shape of your body profile while you are sleeping, and to do this instantly as you change positions. Latex and memory foam share this ability to form a pressure relieving cradle more than other more commonly used materials.

Because even in the softer versions it has a higher resilience and is more “supportive” than other foams, it will also help support the more recessed areas of your body, such as the lumbar, that need “filling in” and are not in close contact with the firmer support layers underneath and because of its resilience it less motion restricting than memory foam and changing positions and other movement on the mattress easier.

I hope this helps you get started.

NikkiTMU