Help Choosing a Bed

Hi kgreen,

Both Brooklyn Bedding and Nest Bedding are members of this site and I recommend the members here “as a group” because I believe that they all compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency.

Having said that … there are also many other sources of good quality/value mattresses as well that aren’t members of this site (at least yet).

Unfortunately the Voila mattress doesn’t list the specifics of the materials and components in their mattresses so I wouldn’t consider them unless they can provide you with the information here so you can confirm there are no lower quality materials or weak links that would compromise the durability and useful life of their mattress. There have been several forum members that have tried to find out this information from Voila and been unsuccessful and if a retailer or manufacturer either isn’t willing or able to provide you with the information you need to make an informed choice and make meaningful comparisons with other mattresses … I would avoid them completely. They are also made in China and there is always some additional risk and uncertainty involved in buying a mattress that is made in China or other imported mattresses that may be subject to longer periods of compression during shipping and storage that can sometimes affect the durability and useful life of the mattress (see post #6 here).

I don’t make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” or PPP or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial)or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

As I mentioned in my last reply … If you are considering online options then the mattress shopping tutorial includes several links to lists of many of the better online options I’m aware of (in the optional online step) that include many different types and categories of mattresses in a wide range of designs, budgets, firmness levels, and with different return/exchange policies that would be worth considering and one of the links is to a list of the members here that sell mattresses online.

Phoenix