Help Choosing Between Dreamfoam UD: Natural or UD:Eurotop

Hello ,

I’ve been browsing the forums for a few weeks now looking at all the posts and tons of mattress information on this website. I’ve checked out Post #2 here and read all the information. I have narrowed my search down to 2 mattresses. 1st one is this 1st Mattress and the 2nd one is this 2nd Mattress.

I am 29 Years old 5"11 200lbs and she is 29 years old 5"1 107lbs. I am a back/stomach sleeper and she is a side sleeper. I’ve tried a few mattress in the store. We both like a firm mattress. We liked TEMPUR-Contour Rhapsody Breeze but the price is too high for us. I like the Dreamfoam mattresses. The only problem i have is i don’t know which one i should purchase. The Natural one has Dunlop foam which has 5.5" 2LB HD Foam for the Core layer and the Eurotop one has 8" 1.5lb HD Poly Foam for the Core layer. I want the mattress to last atleast 6-8 years before i switch it again. I was wondering if anyone had purchased these mattresses and could help us decide which one to purchase :). I would prefer to get something firmer and let it break in a bit and not get a medium and have it become to soft later down the years. Thanks for the help :slight_smile:

Hi Bard,

The biggest difference between the Ultimate Dreams Natural and the Ultimate Dreams Eurotop would be that the Natural uses Dunlop in the 3" comfort layer while the Eurotop uses Talalay. The choice between them would be a preference choice since both are very high quality materials. There is more about the difference between them in post #7 here.

The Eurotop has an exchangeable comfort layer that allows you to choose the firmness of the latex when you make your initial purchase and also gives you the options to exchange the latex layer for a softer or firmer version of Talalay after a purchase if your sleeping experience indicates that you need it. The Natural gives you the option to choose the firmness of the Dunlop latex before your purchase but doesn’t give you the option to exchange it afterwards.

The Natural uses a combination of wool and polyfoam in the quilting material while the Eurotop only uses polyfoam and wool can help with temperature regulation.

The Natural has a 2.0 lb polyfoam support core while the Eurotop uses a 1.5 lb polyfoam support core. In most cases the support core isn’t the weak link of a mattress in terms of durability but for those that are in higher weight ranges (low 200’s or so and higher) and are more likely to compress the support core of the mattress “through” the comfort layers more deeply then the higher density can make some difference in terms of durability. For lower weights the density difference between them would have a smaller effect.

Neither one of these would be anything like the Rhapsody Breeze because they both have latex comfort layers while the Rhapsody uses memory foam in the comfort layers. There is more about the differences between latex and memory foam in post #2 here.

The biggest differences between the Natural and the Eurotop for most people would be whether they prefer Talalay or Dunlop and the importance of being able to exchange the latex for a firmer or softer version after a purchase.

Assuming that you have tested some Dunlop and Talalay latex so that you know which one you tend to prefer (or are comfortable with using a more general description to choose between them) and also that you know you prefer the more resilient and faster response “feel” of latex to memory foam … I would be cautious about basing your choice on anyone else’s experience because each person can have a very different opinion or experience on the same mattress and a mattress that is a perfect “match” for one person or even a group of people in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) may be unsuitable for someone else to sleep on. In general … the best source of guidance when you can’t test a mattress in person would be a more detailed conversation with the manufacturer who can help “talk you through” the options they have available that would have the best chance of success based on the details of your conversation and the “averages” of their customers that are similar to you (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

Phoenix

Thank you for the fast reply :). when i meant we liked the TEMPUR-Contour Rhapsody Breeze. I knew it was memory foam. i was referring to the firmness of the mattress. Also i sadly couldn’t test any Dunlop mattresses out because i cant find any mattress store in my area that has them. Everyone is carrying Talalay instead. If u know any good mattress store locations in a 30 mile radius i would appreciate the help. My City is Pasadena , Ca 91101. I’m having a very hard time finding a local mattress store that carries Dunlop foam mattress.

Also i sleep very hot at nights while she covers herself in 2 or 3 layers of blankets. I definitely do want latex because i didn’t like the sink in feeling of memory foam and the way it kept me hot like an oven. My other concern is if i go with the Eurotop over the Natural. will the Eurotop Sag or not last as long because of the foam density difference ?. We’re trying to keep it for 5-8 years before replacing it. Phoenix Thanks again for the useful information !

Hi Bard,

The Los Angeles list is in post #2 here and there are quite a number of retailers and manufacturers listed that carry Dunlop latex mattresses that are in reasonable driving distance of Pasadena that would give you a chance to compare the “feel” of a range of different Dunlop and Talalay latex mattresses and firmness levels.

There is more about the variables that can affect sleeping temperature in post #2 here (including the effect of different types of bedding and your mattress protector) but for most people neither one of these two mattresses would likely have any issues with sleeping temperature.

There is also more about the many variables that can affect the durability and useful life of a mattress relative to each person in post #2 here and the posts it links to. In most cases though … the quality and durability of the comfort layers are the most important factor in the durability and useful life of a mattress and since both of them use latex (which is among the most durable of all the foam materials) then as long as you don’t choose a firmness that is “on the edge” of being too soft for you (see post #2 here) then with your weights it would be reasonable to expect both of them to have a useful lifetime of at least the 5 - 8 years that you are looking for if not longer.

Phoenix

Hi,

First of all thank you for this great forum. I knew I wanted to change my mattress but I realized that I didn’t know anything about mattresses and it’s been very helpful to find this site with so much quality information.

I have different models in my short list and among them are the two in this topic. I’m a side (sometimes back) sleeper and after the research I’ve done I know that I want a latex matress, but although I’ve read the posts that you mention earlier, I’m still undecided between Dunlop and Talalay.

When it comes to temperature regulation you mention that the wool of the natural will be an advantage, however, I’ve read that talalay is more breathable than dunlop. Will one thing compensate the other?

How important is for latex to be natural vs synthetic? Do its properties change? How?

I usually prefer the feeling of firm not springy matresses, which in theory makes dunlop a better candidate, but sometimes the option that provides the best feeling the first 10 min is not the option that makes you wake up better the next morning, and I do have some joint problems that would require the option that provides better support and pain relief. Which option would you consider that is better for this matter?

Thanks again :slight_smile:

Hi msalamanques,

This is always a preference choice rather than a “better/worse” choice and just like with any preference issue you are really the only one that can decide which one you are most likely to prefer. The most reliable way to find out which one you tend to prefer would be based on your own personal testing and experience.

This would really depend on all the other variables that affect temperature regulation besides just the wool or the type of latex (see post #2 here). I don’t think that most people would have temperature regulation issues with either one so it may be a moot point but these are generally the types of questions that have so many variables involved that they would be better answered based on actual experience rather than “theory” and they would be in the best position to be able to tell you whether one would have a clear advantage over the other in terms of temperature regulation based on their knowledge of their own mattresses and feedback from their customers.

The choice between different types and blends of latex is really a preference and budget choice more than a “better/worse” choice as well. There is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here and there is also more about some of the differences between synthetic and natural rubber in post #2 here but your own experience is really the only way to know which type or blend of latex you tend to prefer or whether the more costly versions are “worth it” or “feel better” to you.

Again … this is strictly a preference choice and there is no way for me to know which one you may prefer.

Phoenix