Help for a grad student on a budget and time crunch

Hi all, thanks for providing this forum and all the great information on mattresses. I’ve read through large portions of this website and the forum and wanted to see if I couldn’t get some direct feedback.

My wife and I just moved across country and after abandoning our old hand-me-down mattress we are currently sleeping on a futon. I’m starting grad school next week and am expecting all my time to be consumed with work so we need to figure out the bed situation asap. Of course, we are also on a budget–any money going into a bed will have to be a part of student loans. Fortunately, this makes durability not a huge concern as we can get a better bed in a couple years when we have better jobs, but we need something that we can get good sound rest on for school.

We’ve found that both my wife an I sleep well on memory foam and I am leaning towards that route. We shopped around a little and my wife fell in love with the tempurpedic cloud allura but there’s no way in heck I’m dropping 4K on a bed. So, we’ve turned to the web to shop. Honestly, I’m just looking for the best value I can find with similar support to these beds.

If I may, I would request of the community that you point me to 2-5 good deals online that might preform similarly? I’ve toyed with the bed-in-a-box deals but after reading this site am dissuaded by the low density memory foam they use. Does anyone know if the costco beds or if the cheap ones on amazon are even remotely decent for someone trying to save a few bucks? here or here

Thanks!

Hi just1chancefree,

You can see the criteria I use for memory foam mattresses in post #10 here.

The Sleep Innovations 10" Sure Temp mattress you linked has 3" of 3 lb memory foam. That would be enough for me to eliminate it.

The Lucid by Linenspa 10" memory foam mattress you linked includes 2.5" of 3 lb memory foam which also would be enough for me to eliminate it.

I would not call these “remotely decent” and they would have a high risk of premature foam softening.

You can also read a little more about my thoughts about buying from Costco in post #4 here. In most cases they would certainly not be my first choice when there are other memory foam options available to you that are better quality and value and also have good return policies.

I would also keep in mind no matter where you make your purchase that 3 lb memory foam can soften fairly quickly to the point where the mattress is no longer suitable in terms of comfort or support and if you are on the edge of your range in terms of the softness level that is suitable for you when the mattress is new then this can happen quite quickly (sometimes even in the initial break in period).

There is a list of some of the better online memory foam options I’m aware of in post #12 here and if you are looking at online memory foam choices I would choose between these based on which one was the closest match to your personal value equation (considering both the mattress and the return policy in case you make a choice that isn’t ideal for your specific needs and preferences).

Less than the lowest budget options out of these and you would likely be limited to very low quality materials. All of these will also have the knowledge and experience to give you some good guidance on the phone.

Some of these have mattresses that approximate the Allura in terms of “feel”, quality of materials, or in design (or in some cases all three) that are significantly better value but it’s probably not realistic to think that a mattress in your budget range (assuming it is in the $500 range or less) will “match” the Allura although there will be some that may be “suitable but different” in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences).

Phoenix

I appreciate the quick response. I’ve read most of the posts you’ve linked to, though I still need to comb through your recommended online memory foam options. It seems most of what I’m finding here starts at about $700 for a queen. I understand at my price point I will likely have to make sacrifices; that said, is there anything at all you could recommend at more like $350? $500 would probably be a max :frowning:

Hi just1chancefree,

I don’t make specific recommendations for mattresses because there are just too many unknowns and variables for anyone to know which mattress may be suitable for someone else in terms of PPP. I’m happy to help you narrow down your options somewhat though and help with how to choose (including avoiding any memory foam that is under @4 lbs density or so).

If you aren’t able to test a mattress personally then the only other way that you would have a reasonable expectation of making a suitable choice is with more detailed conversations with the manufacturer or retailer themselves who can use their experience and knowledge of their mattresses to give you some good guidance based on “averages” of people that have a similar body type and sleeping style (assuming they are knowledgeable and experienced). No matter what the quality, value, or price of a mattress … if it isn’t suitable for you and you can’t sleep on it then it would have little value to you.

There are a couple of manufacturers on the list which have mattresses that are under $500 (mattress only in queen) that would be worth talking to. They are …

Dreamfoam on Amazon

Restava

In addition to this it may also be worth considering the Sams Club 12" Aerus mattress here although they won’t be able to give you any guidance about whether the mattress may be suitable for you and the base layer is less than 1.5 lbs.

Luxepedic is another manufacturer that will be going on the memory foam list and has a mattress that is in your budget range that may be worth considering as well.

There are hundreds of memory foam mattresses and retailers that sell “cheap” memory foam mattresses but most of them are involved in a race to the bottom in terms of both price and the quality of their materials and if they don’t meet the guidelines I listed (and have the integrity that you can believe what they tell you) I wouldn’t consider any of them. Most of them aren’t worth the money you pay for them. In many cases they list misleading or completely inaccurate information and comparisons and are often sold by people who know little about mattresses or the quality of their materials but know a lot about how to make a large profit selling cheap materials that have a high profit margin and can’t realistically be returned because of the high cost of return shipping.

Reasonable quality memory foam is a higher cost material than polyfoam and in your budget range it may also be worth considering a polyfoam mattress that uses high quality polyfoam (at least 1.8 lbs and preferably higher) that can be both comfortable, lower cost, and much more durable than cheap memory foam.

There may also be some local manufacturers close to you that have good quality/value mattresses in your price range as well (see post #3 here for an example of another member that purchased a good quality and value mattress in your price range from a local manufacturer)

Phoenix

These four seem to be good options to consider and I will try to find time to contact them tomorrow. What do you think of the Sealy memory foam lines that costco carries? (we have costoco membership but not sams) I think the “Cooltwist gel” 12" memory foam for 499 seems decent, but I can’t seem to find info on the density of the foam.

I did find that the 14" LUCID® by Linenspa uses 5.3lb foam in the top layer, but I think it’s still 3lb in the support layer. Are you down on LUCID primarily because it’s from overseas and produced to using poorer standards?

Hi just1chancefree,

As you can see in the guidelines here … I would avoid Sealy or any manufacturer where you aren’t able to find out the quality of what is inside it (and Sealy doesn’t provide this).

You can see the guidelines I use for memory foam mattresses in post #10 here. If they are made offshore and they have CertiPur certification then they would meet the guidelines (as long as they are around 4 lbs or higher density). There are some good foams that come from China and a lot of cheap junk :slight_smile:

3" of 3 lb memory foam would be a “weak link” I wouldn’t consider.

Phoenix

Thanks again for the continued help Phoenix, may you always rise again.

I’ve narrowed down the field to 5 and any input from Phoenix or any other readers would be helpful before I pull the trigger.

The Restava Monoco Gel seems to be the best value, though unfortunately I haven’t been able to get them on the phone to get specifics about the layers (is there a review on your site that I failed to find?) They seem to consistently use higher quality materials in their mattresses and I think are members of the underground. The lack of a return policy also scares me but it is hard to pass up what seems to be such a good deal at $379 for a queen. I think this may be what we end up buying.

Next we have the two Sam’s Club mattress, starting with the Serta Roma 3" of foam over 7 of support, with no details on density or ilds - I don’t really like this one because of the lack of information but with a tag of $389 and a great return policy I keep it on the list for now. There is also a one-step-up serta pietra for $499, but nothing really seems remarkable there.

Second Sam’s Club is the Aerus Natural Ultra-Luxe which, as you know, is 3" of 4lb memory foam over a 9" layer of 1.4-1.5lb IntelliForm polyurethane foam. We at least know this one uses decent quality materials, and at a price of $464 with a good return policy makes this a good option for trial and error. If its too firm like many low-end memory foam mattresses often are we can always return and try a Restava.

After talking with Chuck from DreamFoam and someone from Christeli, I was talked out of each’s lowest-end memory foam mattresses on the understanding that they are “extra firm” and would probably be too firm for my side-sleeping wife. Thus, next on the list would be the adjustable-firmness DreamFoam Mattress Ultimate Dreams Latex at $599. It’s 3" of you-pick-the-firmness ~4lb Latex over 7" of 1.5lb support foam. We would probably go with the usual “6” on Chuck’s 1-10 scale which is an ILD of 28. I am hesitant here because on all of our tests we preferred the memory foam to latex, but only slightly. I also am unsure what DreamFoam’s return policy looks like.

The “high end” model that we are considering then, is the Christeli Versailles at $663 delivered with a pretty solid return policy and some extras. They refused to give me any specific ILDs over the phone, but the mattress is ~1" of memory foam padding in the Aloe Vera cover, 3" of 5.3lb foam comfort layer over 6" of 2lb support foam. We’re going by what they said over the phone that this is a medium to medium firm mattress, but it seems to be very similar composition to the M’Lilly Vitality that we were able to try in store and liked very much (minus the natural components of course).

Any and all input is highly valued and appreciated!

Hi jus1chancefree,

A forum search on “Restava” (you can just click this) will bring up all the posts that mention them.

They are not a member here (you can see the membership list here) but they are included in the list of online memory foam options because I thought they were among the better memory foam options and would be of interest for those who were looking for some good sources of memory foam online. (NOTE: They have since become a member of the site).

NOTE ADDED: Restava is no longer a member here since a redesign of their mattresses and they may no longer be fully transparent about the materials in their mattresses … see this topic.

This would probably also be true for most memory foam mattress with 2" or 3" of memory foam over a firmer base layer and is the reason it’s a good idea to talk with a knowledgeable manufacturer or retailer first. The ones that are more concerned with selling you whatever they can wouldn’t likely give you this kind of guidance and would welcome the chance to sell a mattress regardless of whether it was suitable or not.

If the mattress is fulfilled by Amazon then their large items return policy would apply. You would pay a few dollars more for the mattress and wouldn’t receive the pillow bonus but you could choose your shipping method. If the mattress is fulfilled by Dreamfoam then you would pay full shipping if it was returned which is quite costly. You would pay a few dollars les and would receive the pillow bonus that goes with being a member here. With latex density is directly related to the firmness level and is not a “quality spec” like it is with memory foam or polyfoam. The type and blend of latex is what differentiates them (besides firmness levels) and in this case it’s blended Talalay which is a high quality material in any density and is also more costly than memory foam. The choice between memory foam and latex is a matter of preference.

I wouldn’t either because ILD is not really relevant with memory foam (because it changes with heat, humidity, and the amount of time the material is compressed) and even with polyfoam is a “comfort spec” not a quality spec and would have little meaning to 99% of consumers anyway. When you ask for the ILD of memory foam or polyfoam in most cases a manufacturer would realize that you are probably getting confused by specifications that have little meaning in practical terms and have nothing to do with quality.

Other than the Serta Roma which is very low quality (see post #3 here) you have eliminated the “worst” options and are choosing between “good and good” so your best judgement based on the conversations you had with each manufacturer and your confidence that a mattress will be a good “fit” and meets the criteria of your personal value equation is the best way to make final choices.

Phoenix

If you were buying for yourself, which would you go for? I understand everyone is different and all that…still looking for preferences among the experts.

Hi just1chancefree,

My personal preferences would have little to do with what was suitable for someone else or what someone else would prefer but for what it’s worth I personally prefer the feel and performance of latex over memory foam. Other people would feel very differently.

Other than that you are in a place where any of your final choices are good quality and value for the budget range you are in and final decisions depend on all the objective, subjective, and intangible factors that are most important to you … not to me. My role is to help you reach a point where there are no obvious “winners” and with how to choose … not what to choose.

Phoenix

Have you ever mattress-shopped on ebay? This one looks to have pretty solid quality materials http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-QUEEN-MEMORY-FOAM-MATTRESS-4LB-4-5LB-w-2-Pilo-3-5-/250536622257?pt=Mattresses&hash=item3a552578b1

Hi just1chancefree,
I was also looking at the Restava Monaco, but do not see anything on that page that says it cannot be returned? In fact it says 25 year warranty and 100% refund and happiness guarantee right above the bed description. The only 'Red Flag" I see is that it only has 1" of 4.2 lb. memory foam over the foundation layer. Just wondering what you found out or decided upon and where you saw the NO RETURN warning?

Thanks,
Fitz

Hi Fitz,

If you look at their return policy here the small print on the bottom says it excludes the Monaco Gel and the Regina Gel which are their two lowest cost mattresses.

The feather touch memory foam (the 1" layer) is 5.3 lbs (note this was not correct and was corrected later in the thread) and the Cool Comfort gel (the 2" layer in the quilting) is 4 lbs so this would have a total of 3" of memory foam above the polyfoam support core. I don’t think this would be any kind of “red flag” in terms of quality but it would probably be a firm mattress with only 3" of memory foam over a firmer support core.

Phoenix

Phoenix,
WOW! Your eyes are everywhere. Thanks for both your responses to my inquiries. I didn’t know the Feathertouch layer on the Monaco was 5lb (I saw in their FAQs section that FeatherTouch™ Memory Foam comes in 4.2lb, 5.3lb and HD-GEL and assumed they used 4.2 on their lower end mattresses. Although these are good specs, I have pretty much lost trust in RESTAVA for posting big seals on both the Monaco and Regina page stating 100% REFUND AND GUARANTEE and then posting a small print asterix denoted note on bottom of their “Returns” page stating these two are not covered by those guarantees they so prominently post directly above these products “product descriptions”.

A really tacky move IMHO and far from transparent.

http://www.restava.com/p/140/The-Monoco-GEL/
http://www.restava.com/p/141/The-Regina-GEL/

Your help has really been invaluable not just in selecting a mattress but in learning how to buy and research anything on the internet.

Thanks again and I’ll let you know how things work out for me.

Fitz

Phoenix, just a quick note that I just got an email back from Restava stating the specs for the Monaco as"

“The cover is a 2” gel memory foam quilted of 4.2 density. Then the second layer is the 1" 4.2 Feather Cool Touch with the 6" Posture Core which is a 2.5 density."

No 5 lb density in this mattress.

I also let them know about their having the 100% refund and happiness guarantee prominently displayed on their Monaco and Regina page even though this is not the case per their small print on return page.

Just wanted to keep you in the loop.

Fitz

Hi Fitz,

Thanks for the clarification. It certainly goes to show the importance of making sure that you confirm the specs of any mattress purchase no matter what you read elsewhere because they are always the most accurate source of information.

Both their Cool-Comfort gel memory foam and their FeatherTouch memory foam come in 4.2 lb and 5.3 lb versions and it’s a good idea to make sure you know the specifics “from the horse’s mouth” for any mattress you are considering. Even though I talked with them … I was under the mistaken impression that the Feather touch was 5.3 lbs. They are open and transparent when you talk with them on the phone (especially Patricia who I have talked with on several occasions) which is one of the reasons they are included on the list of better memory foam options. ADDED: and are now a member of this site.

I also agree with you that even though they make sure that all their customers know that there are no returns on the Monaco and the Regina when they order them … the template that they use for all their pages can create confusion and Patricia has mentioned this to their webmaster in the hope they will make this more clear although it’s ultimately a good idea for a customer to make sure they ask these types of questions to make sure that they are clear on all the foam specs and the return policy for any specific mattress. It’s not uncommon that there are differences between mattresses or that there have been changes that aren’t reflected on a website (almost all websites have some degree of errors that haven’t been corrected or information that may have changed) so confirming this type of information is always a good idea.

Thanks again for making sure that the correct information goes out there :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hey guys, I’m glad I checked this!

After shopping around far more then I probably should have, I ended up getting an awesome deal from a guy local to me from “Austin Mattress”. I’ve been extremely impressed with James Grantham and I would highly recommend giving him a call. He gave me some of the best deals I’ve been able to find anywhere for high quality memory foam and latex beds and for a low end bed I honestly believe his “mattress man special” cannot be beat. He asked me not to post prices because shipping will vary depending on where you live, but I can say you would be getting more mattress for a better price then anything else on this list.

Also Phoenix, you might want to reach out to James as well as he had expressed an interest in joining the mattress underground. Vet him all you like :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ll give a full review on the bed I bought after we sleep on it a few nights. James is delivering it personally to me this evening.

Hi just1chanceforfree,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

It would be great if you could let us know which mattress you purchased and the details of the layers inside it. It’s the only way that words like “high quality” and “good deal” has any meaning. it would also be helpful to post the price excluding shipping (so you could say X amount plus shipping to your area) so that nobody has to take anyone’s word about quality or value.

It would also be great if you could post a link to their site so others here (including me) could take a look at what they carry. I removed their phone number in the three posts you mentioned them which is too close to “advertising” but you’re welcome to post a link to their site in one of them with the details of your mattress.

Thanks for sharing your feedback.

Phoenix