Help! I think my mattress is ruining my life!

About two years ago my husband got this bright idea to build a 3/4 plywood foundation and purchased a 500.00 memory foam mattress from Sam’s and placed it on top. I started having neck and shoulder issues within 3 months. One year ago I had a neck fusion. Now I need another one. I am in constant pain. Now it is starting to go into my mid back and hips. When I went out of town a few months back and slept in a hotel (high end) bed, I felt fine. I really need to get another bed. I don’t mind paying top dollar, I just am not sure what kind to get. I have been bed shopping for five months now. I have read your info and it is great! I feel much better about making the right choice. I hate the memory foam bed and my husband loves it. I would really like to know if you have any suggestions on where I can get a latex bed in the Jacksonville/Orange Park, Florida area, and what you would recommend. I feel like my hips are sinking in too much, my shoulders and neck are not getting support of any kind, and my knees are getting very little support. I am 138 lbs and am 5 foot 9 inches tall. I have a small curve in my spine. Thanks

Hi Down2Earth,

It certainly sounds to me like your mattress isn’t suitable for your body type and sleeping positions. It’s also possible that neck and shoulder issues could be related to your pillow (to the degree that any mattress or pillow may be connected with medical issues).

This would indicate that the design of the hotel mattress would be more suitable for your specific needs and preferences. Hotel mattresses are usually anything but “high end” mattresses although they are usually newer than most mattresses that are in people’s homes (you can read more about hotel mattresses in post #3 here).

There are too many variables and unknowns for anyone to recommend a specific mattresses for someone else out of all the many thousands that are available (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here) but there is much more about “how” to find a mattress that is ideal for you in post #1 here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice.

Some of the better options and possibilities in the Jacksonville area I’m aware of are listed in post #7 here.

Phoenix

Thanks you so much for replying to my questions. I am going to contact both Orange Park stores. I have changed my pillow to a feather pillow that is not very thick. I have also slept on a rolled up dish towel at times. I can no longer sleep on my side or stomach due to the neck surgery.

You have really been a BIG help! :slight_smile:

Hi Down2Earth,

I’m looking forward to your feedback and of course if you have more questions along the way feel free to post them here :slight_smile:

Phoenix