Help in choosing a Latex topper to suit both of us

Have read many messages several years ago when I bought my current mattress and wish I had asked questions then, but alas…

I am 6’2" and weight ranges from 195-205lb and my wife is 5’2" and she is 115-120lb. I sleep on my back using a CPAP usually for 2/3 to all night long. When I take my CPAP off I usually roll to my stomach and finish off the night that way. Occasionally I will sleep on my side by folding my pillow in half to thicken it. My wife doesn’t stay in one position very long and is constantly moving. She lays on her back, either side and stomach on in the same night and moves many many times. She really doesn’t like the firmness of our current mattress and wakes up in pain all over her body each morning. The mattress is exacerbating her pain caused by her chronic Lyme.

Our Queen size mattress is a 9" Talalay latex mattress with 3" of firm with 3" of medium and 3" of soft on top. I think the soft is more of a medium soft, all in a zippered bamboo cover. We have owned it for 4.5 years. Our previous mattress was a memory foam mattress and my wife had the same thoughts about it, though it was hotter than the latex mattress.

My dilemma is in choosing the right topper. We don’t want a memory foam topper so are wondering which size of topper would be best for us. While I plan on getting a soft latex topper, I am primarily struggling on picking which thickness. My choices that I have been thinking about are:

2" Natural Talalay latex topper - less than 20 ILD? ~$200
3" Natural Talalay latex topper - less than 20 ILD? ~$300
FloBed’s Twice Fluffed Mattress Topper made from Natural Latex with unknown ILD but supposedly adjustable. I am unsure of the actual thickness. ~$400

My budget $0 :slight_smile:
Seriously I don’t want to waste money with the wrong choice. I would love a new mattress that would be better, but can’t afford one so figure a topper would be the cheaper way to go.

Any advice or counsel to help me in deciding which would be helpful and best for us? Any questions that would help us determine would be most welcome.

Hi alwayshopeful,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! (better late than never)! :slight_smile:

There is more information about choosing a topper in post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to which along with a conversation with a reliable and knowledgeable supplier (that can provide you with good information about how their toppers compare to each other or to other toppers they are familiar with that are available on the market) can help you use your sleeping experience as a reference point and guideline to help you choose the type, thickness, and firmness for a topper that has the least possible risk and the best chance for success.

Since latex is one of the most popular topper materials there is more about the pros and cons of it in post #2 here.

There are guidelines for selecting a topper in post # 8 here.

Some sources for toppers of which I am aware are listed in post #4 here.

Because of the uncertainty involved with purchasing a topper where you can’t test the combination in person … a good exchange/return policy can also reduce the risk of an online topper purchase so I would also make sure you are comfortable with the options you have available after a purchase to exchange or return the topper and any costs involved just in case a topper you choose also doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for. See post #4 here for some topper options of which I am aware that can be returned.

I hope that information is helpful to you.

Phoenix

Thanks. I will read all of those posts and see if there are any further questions to ask.

Hi alwayshopeful,

You’re very welcome!

Phoenix