Help - latex mattress

Hi Phoenix,

I need a new mattress and I have been doing research for weeks now. Thanks for this site! It’s been incredibly beneficial.

I’ve narrowed my interests down to (ideally) a latex foam mattress but would consider memory foam for the right price point. I really wanted the Ultimate Dreams latex mattress from Dreamfoam Bedding on Amazon, but $600 is still a bit much for me. Then I considered the Ultimate Dreams 11 in memory gel because it seemed to still be a quality mattress from a highly recommended company and was a bit less in price. However, I’m not sure how I feel about memory foam for health reasons. My boyfriend has allergies and I’ve read memory foam can negatively affect this. But then I’ve so read memory foam can be a good option for allergies. But I’ve also read about more serious concerns with memory foam with chemical outputs, etc., which makes me wary.

I started to research Boyd flex bedding but after reading your posts about their “latex” vs. “engineered latex,” I’m not sure they’re the best option for me.

Then I stumbled onto Classic Brands Eden Latex foam 11 inch mattress. But I can’t any reviews on the company or this particular mattress. Do to know anything about them or this bed? The Classic Brands site says this model has 8 inches of orthopedic foam with 3 inches of all natural latex and a cotton cover.

I need to order a mattress as soon as possible. Ideally in the $300 range and with latex foam as a component, but I’m open to suggestions. Thank you!

-Jen

What size of mattress are you looking for? $300 would likely be too low for an all latex mattress, and depending on size of mattress would be on the lower end of what’s available for any kind of mattress.

Either way, if you read Phoneix’s standard posts to people asking what mattress is best for them, he will point you to the post in his signature that discusses how to evaluate a mattress for ppp and your personal value equation.

I did a lot of research before buying a mattress, and I hate to tell you but I never found anything I thought was worth buying in the $300 range. My daughter, who is in her mid 30s, had to buy a new mattress last year, and was pretty much restricted to a traditional innerspring mattress in the $600 price range - she just couldn’t find what she thought would be a “good” option without spending more money.

I hope you can find something that suits you. I’ve always heard about off-gassing from memory foam, so I didn’t even look at any of those. I have allergies to a lot of things.

I found an all-latex (Dunlop) mattress for $1800 and actually thought that was on the lower end of what people pay for all latex. After sleeping on it for a few weeks, I think it was a great choice for me, and feel fortunate that I was able to manage the purchase - and since I’m in my early 60s, I figure it will be the last mattress I ever need to buy.

Jendnice:
Please don’t rely on those ratings on amazon for objective information about a mattress. You need to learn about componentry and assembly in order to make a really informed decision. Please take a few minutes to watch this video about product ratings vs. actual mattress research - I think it will help.
Jeff Scheuer
Mattress To Go

Hi Jendnice,

I would agree with some of the other thoughts expressed in the thread and in your budget range (depending to some degree on the size you are looking for) you will be looking at lower quality materials in a mattress. There aren’t many good quality mattresses in the $300 range and it’s doubtful that you would find a mattress that used any significant layers of good quality latex in this price range.

As Jeff also mentioned (and he is one of the most knowledgeable people in the industry) … a mattress is only as good as its construction and the quality of the materials inside it and it’s always much more important to know the specifics of what is inside a mattress and how it’s made than to know the manufacturer that makes it.

It’s also important to make sure you have a more detailed conversation with a knowledgeable retailer or manufacturer with any online purchase because no matter what the quality or value of a mattress … if it isn’t suitable for your specific and unique needs and preferences in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and personal preferences) and you can’t sleep on it comfortably then it would have little value to you.

Most people would be comfortable with memory foam that has been made in North America or that is CertiPur certified for harmful substances and VOC’s (you can see the guidelines I suggest for memory foam in post #10 here) but there are a few people who are more sensitive to some of the chemicals used in making memory foam or who just aren’t comfortable with having memory foam in their mattress and this smaller group would tend to avoid it for their own personal or unique reasons. For those who are interested in going down the rabbit hole of researching all the conflicting and confusing information that can be involved in answering the question “how safe is safe enough for me?” then post #2 here would be a good starting point.

As dn mentioned … the first place to start your mattress research is post #1 here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choices … and avoid the worst ones.

A forum search on Classic Brands (you can just click this) will also bring up more information and feedback about them. As Jeff also mentioned … I would be very cautious about using reviews to make a mattress choice. You can also read more about mattress reviews in post #13 here (which also links to the same video that Jeff linked).

Phoenix