Help me build my mattress

I currently have a medium natural talalay 3" topper on an 8" poly foam bed-in-a-box mattress. I added the topper a couple of years ago to make the mattress more comfortable. I would like to replace the mattress with a couple of layers of latex to “build” something more comfortable. The main issue I have with the mattress is the “fumes”. I have been waking up with shortness of breath and am pretty sure this is due to the mattress. After I first got it and had the problems, I replaced the cover on with a cotton mattress and wrapped it in polyethylene and thought it would fade. Due to my living situation, It has been in storage for a number of years and in March I started sleeping on it again and the breathing issues started again. I really like the latex but am on a budget. A while back I tested some mattresses at Foam Sweet Foam and practically fell asleep on one in less than a minute, it was so comfortable. That mattress had two layers of talalay medium on top of 1 dunlop firm, and 1 dunlop x firm. I’m looking possibly at getting 2 Sleep on Latex layers, both firm, or maybe a medium and a firm and putting my talalay topper on that… (Does SOL offer MU discount?) I would also be open to ordering a budget mattress but am wary of fumes and VOC’s as I am very sensitive. I saw the Novoform ComfortGrande at Costco has good reviews but am hesitant. Any suggestions or recommendations?

Hey Josephine,

Welcome to TMU’s forum :slight_smile: . Thanks for your question.

Congrats on your new DIY mattress adventure :slight_smile: ! What size mattress will you be constructing and what is your budget?

I am sorry to learn that your BIAB polyfoam mattress still has some off-gassing issues. What mattress is it and how old is it now? How was it protected while in storage, besides with the replacement cover you describe above? Have you discussed your breathing reactions with your physician?

SOL does not offer a TMU discount, as they chose to leave the trusted member community. You may considering checking out one of these TMU’s trusted members offering DIY components, there is a listing of them here for your review.

The Novoform Comfort Grande mattress is a memory foam model, which would be quite different in response than the all-latex DIY that you’re considering. For concerns about potential VOCs and sensitivities, review this Phoenix postregarding product safety and certifications. CertiPUR-US is a testing standard that tests for harmful substances and VOC’s and is used for polyurethane and memory foam materials. The latex you are likely to find should be either Oeko-Tex certified or Eco-Institut certified. Hope these ideas help to get you started and good luck :wink: .

Sensei

Thanks for responding to my request.

I’m constructing a queen size mattress but haven’t set a budget since I’m reacting to the breathing difficulties.

It’s one of the original Tuft and Needle mattresses. I had also replaced the cover it came with. In storage, it also had a moving mattress cover on it.

I have seen a doctor and she has scheduled an asthma test.

I’ve ordered two layers from SleepEZ so it will look like:

3" Talalay med
3" Dunlop firm
3" Dunlop xtra firm

Jeremy from Sleep EZ really recommended I get dunlop firm and soft but based on past back pain I went with the xtra firm. If it doesn’t work I can exchange one of the. layers and/or get an extra one. It arrived quickly and I’m looking for someone to help haul it upstairs and set it up as I’m on foot rest right now. Sleep EZ has a sale going on now plus the MU discount made it a great deal. I also emailed back and forth with Daliya Robson with nontoxic.com and she said it should be fine but with some slight rubber smell. She was really helpful.

I have the cover/encasement that I originally replaced but may get a new one if anyone recommends one.

Will report back after I set it up and sleep on it a while.

Hey Josephine,

Thanks for your reply and updates :slight_smile: .

I’m happy to hear that you’ve checked in with a doctor and that you’re planning to be tested for allergies, it will be helpful for you to have that assessment. Hopefully, she will help you sort through your breathing difficulties soon.

Congrats on your new mattress purchase from Sleep EZ :slight_smile: ! Happy to hear that the sale pricing + TMU discount provided a good deal and that your mattress arrived quickly. Any natural rubber smell that you notice should dissipate quickly and is not VOC-related. We’re looking forward to your report after a 30 night adjustment sleep period, and hope your allergies find the new mattress more agreeable.

Sensei :wink: