Help me make my bed

I’m looking at a new mattress and was looking for some help putting it together, here’s what I’m thinking

First layer 2" 5lb 14ILD Aerus memory foam (already bought this)
Second layer 2" Talalay 30ILD natural latex
Third layer 2 2" Talalay 40ILD natural latex

Think that’s enough? 4" inch in the comfort layer and 4" in the support layer?

Also, where do you buy nice natural mattress covers?

Hi WadeB,

Unfortunately … there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone to know how any specific design may feel for someone else based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

If you are planning to design and build your own mattress then I would also make sure you’ve read post #15 here and the posts it links to in option 3 just to make sure you have realistic expectations about building your own mattress and are prepared for some of the trial and error that may be involved. The best approach with a DIY mattress is to to approach it with a “spirit of adventure” where the process itself and what you learn along the way is more important than any cost savings you may (or may not) realize.

Have you tested a mattress with the same or very similar specs that you are using as a reference?

Post #4 here includes the better sources I’m aware of for mattress components … including covers.

Phoenix

What do you think of bed in the box latex? They make it in a different way over talalay or dunlop.

They have 31ILD listed as firm? I thought that was more on the medium side?

Hi WadeB,

If it’s 100% natural and if it’s also made in the USA then it would be the continuous pour Dunlop latex made by Mountaintop Foam which is a good quality material and is the same as Spindle sells here. Their description in the “more info” tab confirms this as well.

Their ILD numbers are somewhat misleading because they don’t compare well to the same ILD numbers for other types of latex and if you are considering this material I would ask Neal at Spindle how they would compare more accurately to other types of latex since he is very knowledgeable about the Mountaintop Dunlop latex.

Phoenix

Do you know how much a queen size talalay latex mattress weighs?

Hi WadeB,

There would be a wide range of weights depending on the firmness of the latex (firmer latex weighs more), the type of Talalay (100% natural weighs more) and the thickness of the mattress.

The softest Blended Talalay will be in the range of about 2.5 lb/ft3 while the firmest blended Talalay would be in the range of about 5 lbs/ft3

So a 6" blended Talalay latex mattress in queen size could be in the range of about 70 lbs while a 12" queen size blended Talalay latex mattress would be closer to 150 lbs. 100% natural Talalay would be somewhere around 30% heavier.

Phoenix

Thanks, so I think I’ll stick with the 2" or 3" to make it up over going with 6" solid, what ILD is your base? And do you use talalay or dunlop? I like the price for the bed in a box and Spindle latex but think 2 3" of their dunlop at 31ILD is enough for a base support? I seen on bed in the box that 32 ILD is ideal for the base support layers for most people… What’s your thoughts on that? Spindle says the density is 5.62lds/ft3, I’m guessing it’s the exact same latex between the two companies.

Hi WadeB,

You can see the details of my mattress here but a mattress that works well for one person may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on and my mattress would be too soft and quite “risky” for most people.

Yes they both are selling the 100% natural continuous pour Dunlop from Mountaintop.

It would depend entirely on the person and on how the base layers interacted with the the rest of the layers in the mattress. For some people it would be fine and for others it wouldn’t. Unfortunately there isn’t a formula or “theory at a distance” that can predict the combination of materials that someone may do best with and I also don’t know enough about you to even guess at what may work best for you.

The most effective approach would be to use any local testing you have done on latex mattresses as your reference points or to use a “standard” layering that is suggested by a manufacturer that sells component mattresses as your starting point and then you can use your actual sleeping experience to make any adjustments you need after that.

Phoenix

If you sleep on the edge of a latex mattress does it have the support to stop you from falling off? I remember older foam mattress had this issue then they put the harder support edges to stop you from rolling off. I just got my 2" Aerus memory foam topper from MFC Memory foam comfort (a member here) and so far really likely it but now time to build the latex under this topper.

Hi WadeB,

Like most things having to do with mattress design it really depends on the overall design of the mattress and the layers inside it and the firmness of the core along with the thickness and softness of the comfort and transition layers, your weight, and how close to the edge you sleep with more concentrated weight. There is more about edge support with latex in post #3 here. Latex is a very “supportive” material and in most cases latex mattresses don’t have edge support and for “most people” this isn’t an issue although there may be a bit of an adjustment for those who are used to firmer edges either for sleeping or sitting.

Phoenix

What do you think this latex is? At about 3:50

Would that be dunlop or blended talalay ? Know who might sell this in North America preferably in Canada?

Hi WadeB,

It would most likely be their 100% natural Dunlop … possibly their Innergetic product.

I don’t know if anyone sells it in Canada or in North America. The 100% natural Dunlop that Latexco usually sells in North America is made by Latex Green … not the 100% natural molded Dunlop latex they manufacture themselves.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix! Are you aware of anyone who sells mountaintop latex that ship to Canada that don’t vacuum pack?

I’m also considering a Talalay mattress from latex international but not sure how I feel about it being blended.

Hi WadeB,

You could order from Spindle and have them ship to a shipment point and then cross the border to pick it up if you are anywhere near the border (I don’t believe they ship to Canada). I also believe that Nest Bedding ships to Canada.

Their blended is just as “safe” as their 100% natural Talalay (they are both certified by Oeko-Tex standard 100) and is also more durable and less costly than their 100% natural but there are some people that prefer 100% natural latex for personal reasons and of course that’s all part of each person’s personal value equation. 100% natural may be more important to some people and not to others but there is certainly no right or wrong in any person’s personal preferences.

Phoenix