Help! New mattress needed and perhaps some manufacters recommended

I have a 14 year old Simmons BeautyRest Asheford or Ashley that is a pillowtop and non-flippable, sized full. It has lasted me well; I only sleep on it myself up until two years ago when it started squeaking and sinking in certain areas. One of the springs was messed up. I bought at christmas a memory foam/down topper that was 4" but still wonder if I should just go ahead and get a new mattress. I was looking at the Sealy Optimum Inspiration or one of their new hybrids. I love memory foam as I have two of those memory foam pillows and can’t sleep without them. I would also like latex as I hear that is more durable. Some softness would be nice but I’d rather not sink too much and keep the durability high. I am on the Gulf Coast in Mississippi. Can you please make some recommendations for a nice queen that I might get on sale?

Sincerely,

WebbyR!

Hi WebbyR,

In general … if your springs are squeaking or if your mattress has developed soft spots or “hills and valleys” then a topper would be a temperory or partial solution at best and it’s time to replace the mattress. At 14 years old you are well beyond the useful life of most mattresses. There is more about “fixing” a mattress that has developed soft spots (or was too soft initially) in post #4 here.

When you are looking for a new mattress … the best place to start is post #1 here which will give you the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the most suitable and informed choice (and avoid the worst ones including the major brands and most mainstream mattress stores and chain stores). Things have changed a lot since 14 years ago. “Brand” shopping is one of the worst ways to choose a mattress.

Once you get to step 3 in the guidelines, then the next step is to research which manufacturers or retailers to visit before you begin to test mattresses (there is little point in testing mattresses where you won’t be able to find out any meaningful information about the materials that are in the mattresses you are testing.

I’m not sure where on the Mississippi Gulf Coast you are but there are links to the forum lists along the Gulf Coast in post #3 here and the Gulfport list would probably be the closest to you.

Better retailers and manufacturers don’t need “sale prices” to have good value every day of the year (see post #5 here about “fake sales”)

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix for reply. The box spring/mattress was squeaking over a year ago but then I purchased a memory foam topper ( Amazon.com ) and all that went away. Now I sleep straight with no pain on back etc. I tried a few other beds today, and it was like instant pain. I need some moderate support but also some softness for my heavier parts of body ie. I only weight 178 lbs. I was looking at the Sealy Hybrid models and will try those, but am looking for a day off where I can drive to those manufacters that have the Sleep latex Bliss that are in Slidell/Mobile area. I’ll keep what I have as there is no pain; I was just hoping to make it a one in all solution in a bigger size, but am content to wait.

Thanks again!

Hi WebbyR,

If your current sleeping system is working well in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) then there is no urgency involved in replacing it and you can take your time to find the best possible choice … although I would certainly avoid most of the major brands if quality and/or value is a significant part of your personal value equation.

Phoenix

I need help in Columbus Ohio some manufactures please

Hi Psmith,

Just in case you haven’t read it yet … post #1 here includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible decisions … and avoid some of the worst ones including any manufacturer that doesn’t provide meaningful information about what is in their mattresses.

the better options and possibilities in the Columbus area I’m aware of are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix