Help on purchasing first memory foam

My fiance and I have begun our search on purchasing our first mattress together. I am a side sleeper and like my mattresses soft. She’s a back sleeper and has always slept on a very firm mattress, If I ever have to go to prison, I am sure I’d have a very good idea on how I’d be sleeping, ha. She really likes soft mattresses and wants to make the change. She does get hot in the middle of the night. We are hoping to stay in the $1K-$2K range, however we realize mattresses are an investment and are willing to spend more to get the right one.

We’ve been looking at some of the Serta mattresses since the prices are significantly lower than the tempurpedic brand. We really like the iComfort models (everfeel prodigy and everfeel insight) however it looks like there are a lot of bad reviews online. I know everyone has their own opinions, but most are consistent with each other. Complaints of the mattress slouching after a short period and the mattress getting warm.

Any suggestions or advise?

Hi Brian123,

The first place I would start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists (based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

While I can’t speak to how a mattress will feel or how different mattresses will compare in terms of comfort and PPP for someone else … outside of PPP the most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing all the specifics of its design and construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label (or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new) so I would always make sure that you find out the information listed here so you can compare the materials and components to the quality/durability guidelines here to confirm that there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

All the major brands (such as Sealy/Stearns & Foster, Simmons, and Serta) tend to use lower quality materials in their mattresses than most of their smaller competitors that will tend to soften or break down prematurely and I would avoid them completely along with any mattress where you aren’t able to find out the type and quality/durability of the materials inside it (see the guidelines here along with post #3 here and post #12 here and post #404 here).

Once you have reached step 3 in the tutorial if you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix,

There’s quite a bit of information to read. I didn’t even think about some of the things you mentioned. There’s a lot of great info here. I am in Miami, FL. Zip Code 33130.

Hi Brian123,

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Fort Lauderdale/Miami, FL area (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines I linked in my last reply) are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Thanks. We actually visited Brickell Mattress yesterday and liked some of their mattresses. Our concern was that it’s a new store that’s only been around for 4 years and was unsure about buying from them cause of it being an unknown brand (at least to us). Though I did like that their manufacturer is from Tampa. I didn’t really ask much else since I only could think of a few questions. I’ll possibly go by there again since it’s a few blocks from my house.
Another concern was their return policy. Since Though we liked testing out the memory foam mattress, we’ve never actually slept on one, so aren’t 100% if we’ll really enjoy it.

Hi Brian123,

As you can read in the links in my previous reply … “unknown brands” (or at least brands that are "unknown to most people) or “off brands” are most often a better source of better quality/value mattresses than the major brands than they compete with.

As you can also read in the links in my previous reply … the most important questions to ask are about the type, quality, and durability of the materials and components in their mattresses (see this article) along with all the other criteria that are the most important parts of your personal value equation (such as their exchange/return policy).

While I can’t speak to how any mattress will “feel” for someone else because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances … outside of PPP the most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability and assuming that the materials in a mattress you are considering are durable enough for your body type and meet the guidelines here … the choice between different types and combinations of materials and components or different types of mattresses (see this article) are more of a preference and a budget choice than a “better/worse” choice.

In other words … in terms of its durability a mattress is only as good as its construction and the quality and durability of the materials inside it (which is all about how long you will sleep well) regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label or how long the mattress has been available on the market.

Select Foam/Brickell Mattress is also a member of this site.

Phoenix

NOTE ADDED: Because of ongoing customer service issues and delays Select Foam’s membership has been terminated and I would read the warning here before considering them.

I read some reviews and the way selectfoam has handled things, I have to admit, I am concerned and weary of purchasing from them… Warren Buffet has said
“It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it. If you think about that, you’ll do things differently”.

Hi Brian123,

While their mattresses are certainly good quality/value and their customer service issues are related to their online site rather than the mattresses they sell locally through Brickell … as you can see in my comments in the link I included in their description in the online memory foam list here … I would agree with you that there is certainly some reason for caution.

Phoenix

Thanks for the clarification. I may take a look again. I’ll have to see how brickell’s prices are compared to the site.