Help please! 1st time buying mattress in 20yrs. Invaluable site Thx!

My husband and I are about to take the plunge. We have not bought a bed in decades. At that time we were fresh out of college, went into a mattress store and picked the one that looked most plush. For years I have been waking up with shoulder pain, occasional neck pain, and lower back pain. I commented many times that it feels like the mattress is fighting me.

I feel so lucky to have found mattress underground. I had absolutely no idea where to begin. After reading extensively, I think we are going for the SLEEP EZ Organic Latex 13000 King. We tried a latex mattress for the first time at a local mattress store here in Vienna, VA (Urban Mattress) Urban Organics Eco Sensation 10" - King -100% Talalay. We liked the feel of it but not the price.

Regarding the foundation I read a poster’s experience with a tatami platform and the feedback. I checked out tatamiroom.com and liked what I saw. A few questions remain…

Re: Foundation- If I get the tall tatami platform bed, do I need to buy the mats to protect the bottom of the mattress and have it sit properly? Without the mats the cost is $685 Free shipping/ with mats $935 plus$240 shipping. Big price difference!

Help please…any suggestions on how to assemble the layers of the bed? I need give at my shoulders and support at my back . My hubby can sleep on anything…no pains. We are side sleepers primarily. We both like a plush feel. My hubby is 210lbs of muscle and 5ft 11in. I am short 5ft 2in and “voluptuous” 190lbs.

Thanks so much in advance for your feedback. This site is phenomenal!

Hi momabena,

You are certainly heading in a great direction and as you know I think very highly of Shawn and SleepEz.

You won’t “need” the mats on top of the slats no because the gaps between the slats are less than 3" and the mattress will fit and be well supported on the bed without the mats. Having said that … the mattress may be a tight fit and with the slats it may be easier to make the bed and tuck in the sheets (see the comments here).

The “best” way to decide on the layers that have the best chance of working well for you will be with a more detailed phone conversation with the manufacturer themselves (in this case SleepEz). They know more about their mattresses and the options they have available than anyone else (including me) and are in the best position to give you the guidance that you will need to make the best possible choice (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

They are great to talk to and you will find they are very patient, “no pressure”, and knowledgeable with any questions you may have. :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Thank you Phoenix!
Spoke with Shawn last night and talked through our specifics. I took his advice and ordered the Sleep EZ 13000 E. King . 100% natural talalay from the top down soft, medium, firm, xtra firm with the bottom 3 layers split. We got the MUG discount and 2 free pillows! Can’t wait for delivery…will report back!

Hi momabena,

Congratulations on your new mattress … and as you know I think you made a great choice :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your feedback when you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix