Help tweaking new SleepEZ 10,000

After much research debate and thread reading, my husband and I took the plunge and purchased a king sized bed from Sleep Ez. We both have the same layers Dunlop firm, Dunlop Medium, Soft Talalay. A couple of things have come up:

1. We are HOT! I typically sleep hot but my hubby who is always cold is warmer/hot.

2. His side “feels” softer than mine. Why would this be if the layers are the same.

3. I am not sleeping well. Waking up with stiffness and sore back.

We tried switching my layers so that the medium is on the bottom, firm in the middle, and soft on top. This didn’t help. SO, how can I fix this? Wondering if we should switch to talalay. Would this help with heat and comfort?

The bed is well made and we are using the sheets from sleepez and the mattress pad we purchased from them. Any advice would be great.

Thanks!

Hi micmse,

It would be helpful if you can provide a little more information including how long you’ve had your mattress, which mattress you purchased, the type of foundation you have under your mattress, your body type and weight and sleeping positions, and whether you believe your discomfort or symptoms are from the mattress being too firm or too soft.

Having said that there are some general suggestions in post #2 here that may be helpful.

There could be many reasons for this but there is more information in post #2 here and the posts it links to that may help you track down why you are sleeping warmer than you would prefer.

There could be several reasons for this as well (outside of any differences in what is under or over your mattress).

Outside of actually having a layer that is firmer or softer on one side than it was meant to be … one possibility is that the layers on each side are arranged differently (the bottom two layers are layered in a different order).

Another possibility is in the Dunlop layers. Dunlop can have some slight differences in the firmness betwen the top and bottom of the layer and there is also a natural range of firmness levels with Dunlop as well so a layer that is cut from the top of a 6" core can be softer than the layer that is cut from the bottom of the core (see post #6 here) and some people may be more sensitive to smaller variations in firmness than others. It may help to switch sides with each layer to isolate which layer seems to be the cause of any difference between the sides and then you could try flipping that layer or using it in the side to side configuration which is best for each of you.

It could also be from weight differences and the speed that each side of the mattress is breaking in.

The same foam can feel softer for higher body weights as well but I’m assuming that both of you are feeling the same thing when you try each side of the mattress.

While SleepEZ would be the best source of guidance because they know more about their mattresses than anyone else and a phone conversation can help “talk you through” any issues and cover much more ground than forum posts, if you can provide some additional information I’d also be happy to make any additional suggestions that I can.

Phoenix

It would be helpful if you can provide a little more information including how long you’ve had your mattress, which mattress you purchased, the type of foundation you have under your mattress, your body type and weight and sleeping positions, and whether you believe your discomfort or symptoms are from the mattress being too firm or too soft.

Ok- we are using the standard foundation from SleepEz and have had the mattress about 3 weeks. I am 5’6 190 and my hubby is 6’3 240ish. We both are side sleepers who flip on their backs. I think their is not enough pressure relief. When we tried them out, I liked the savy rest bed that was bulit F, M S with and addition Soft topper the best.

I spoke with SleepEZ and Shawn made some recommendations that I am going to try. He said the firmness feel could be because dunlop is not as consistent as talalay. So we are going to try flipping the actual layer piece 180 degrees without changing the order of the layers. He said that different people react differently and that both dunlop and talalay are breathable but that talalay is more breathable.

The great news is that we can switch out 1 layer and it is not much to switch out another layer. I know that personally preference place a major factor but wondering if we should have just gone with all talalay. Will a bottom layer of talalay be support enough?

Thanks for all your help. It is a great product and I feel confident that we made the right choice and just need to nail down the layers.

Hi micmse,

Do you have the SleepEZ organic, the natural, or the special (without the wool quilted cover)?

Not surprisingly … I would agree with all of this :slight_smile:

It would depend more on the firmness of the layer than on the which type of latex that you use but firm Talalay layers (or latex of any type) are very supportive yes and there are many people in much higher weight ranges than you are (300 or 400 lbs) that do very well with Talalay and prefer it over Dunlop support layers (and of course other people may have the opposite preferences). It’s really a preference choice.

Dunlop tends to get firmer faster as you compress it so changing the layers in the middle of the mattress to a Talalay layer in the same ILD would probably also help somewhat with pressure relief. Of course an additional topper so you have a similar setup to the Savvy Rest you tried and liked (or even something like F/M/M with a soft topper) would also be softer than a 3 layer configuration that has a single medium layer in the middle because additional thickness can also add additional softness (see post #14 here).

With the temperature issues … if you have one of the membrane type of mattress protectors then this can often increase sleeping temperature for some people as well because it’s less breathable than some of the other types of mattress protectors. There is more about different types of mattress protectors in post #89 here.

I would tend to make small and incremental “one step at a time” changes and make sure you sleep on each new configuration for at least a few days so your body has a chance to catch up to the new layering and you can identify a pattern (one or two nights experience can sometimes be an anomaly) and then use the difference in your experience and symptoms (whether the symptoms seemed to improve or worsen) between each new combination and the last one as a “pointer” for the direction of any additional changes that you may need.

Phoenix