Help! Where can I buy a "Grand King" size mattress?

Hi! To start off with, yes the “Grand King” size mattress is a legitimate size, but it seems to be rare. It’s 80" wide and 98" long.

My husband is almost 7 ft tall (nearly 84"), so a regular King (80") or a California King (84") are NOT long enough. We’ve tried; it’s comical.

We had a custom Extra-Long King (76" x 96") mattress made yeeeears ago, and need to replace it. But it was made locally and not very high-quality. We want a very good mattress this time - we both have back pain.

We recently learned the Grand King existed and were so excited! I was hoping to be able to try out mattresses at a store, then order one in this size. But I don’t know who makes them, or how to find them. Google leads me on mostly empty wild goose chases.

Anyone have any advice? Anyone OWN one?

Hi piggywings,

I can appreciate the need for a larger size since I’m 6’ 5 1/2" and I sleep on a queen and by the time I leave some room between my head and the end of the bed for my pillow my feet are over the end if I’m fully extended.

A grand king isn’t a “standard” size that you will likely find in any store but many local manufacturers would likely be able to build one (or any custom size) for you.

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know about any local manufacturers that I’m aware of in your area.

Phoenix

Thank you! We’re moving from Cleveland OH to somewhere around the Redlands/San Bernardino area (92373 and around) in a few months, which will be a perfect time to buy a new one.

Ideally, I’d prefer to try out a mattress before blindly buying a custom made version of it. So we will sleep on a sleeping bag on the floor or invest in an inflatable queen until we get the new bed in.

We want a high quality mattress this time - ideally, I think, an innerspring with a cool memory foam top. Or some sort of supportive plush. He sleeps on his stomach - but I sleep on my side and my shoulder/neck hurts every night right now because my shoulder is jammed into my neck. Don’t want to go through that again. The local ones who made it last time just weren’t that great, and the recent ones I visited around here weren’t quite as comfortable as I’d hoped. We may end up having to do a firmer bed and add our own memory foam topper…

Btw, I can’t believe you can endure a queen! He sleeps on his stomach with his arm above his head, and his feet dangle over the edge even in a king. He finds it very uncomfortable. It’s tough being tall!

Hi piggywings,

If you decide to order the mattress before you move then the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the Cleveland area (subject to the “quality/value” guidelines here) are listed in post #2 here. I believe that Original Mattress Factory will make custom sizes and it would probably also be worth checking with some of the Amish manufacturers in Sugarcreek and Apple Creek who would probably make them as well (but I would confirm this).

If you decide to wait until after you move then the list for the San Bernardino area in in post #7 here but I would call the manufacturers on the list that have mattresses that interest you before you move (both the factory directs and the local wholesale manufacturers) to confirm which of them can make a grand king just so you don’t end up waiting until after the move and then find out that none of them would make it.

I’m a side/back sleeper so I’m OK on my side because my knees are bent but my feet do hang over the end a little if I sleep on my back on almost any mattress (except a cal king). It’s just one of those things that you get used to … but I can only imagine what he must go through when you stay at a hotel that doesn’t have a cal king or stay at a friends home!

I met someone that was 7’ 2" at a store a while ago and at first glance I thought he was standing on a platform but then I realized how tall he was and being 8" taller than me I got a rare taste of how it feels to be standing beside someone that is much taller … it was very strange!

Phoenix