Help with all latex mattress - San Francisco Bay Area

I want to purchase an all latex mattress and was wondering if you could guide me in choosing the right one. I’ve done a little bit of research (by reading your forum) but there seems to be so much information to take into account that I’m getting a bit overwhelmed. Aside from what type of latex (natural, organic or synthetic) and whether it is Dunlop or Talalay is the mattress made of, what other questions should I be asking when shopping for one? I live in the Dublin/Pleasanton/Livermore area and wanted to know if there’s any stores around here that you recommend to go to.

Hi celestial,

I’m certainly happy to help with “how” to choose although there are so many individual variables and unknowns with any mattress purchase that your own testing and preferences are the best way to know the specifics of “what” to choose.

Hopefully you’ve read post #1 here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines which will be most helpful and might help you get past some of the information overload.

You can read a little more about organic, natural, and blended latex in post #6 here. There is a great deal of misinformation on the web about the different types of latex … mostly written by those who sell one type and not another or by those who make generalizations that don’t always hold up to more detailed scrutiny. All the latex you are likely to encounter has been Oeko-Tex standard 100 class 1 (safe for babies) tested (or a similar testing protocol) for harmful substances and VOC’s and I would consider any of them to be “safe”. I would treat the choice between Talalay and Dunlop as strictly a matter of preference based on your own testing experience.

Post #3 here has links to all the forum lists that are around you in the region. You have some good options available and if you follow the steps one by one you will do well :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Thanks for your prompt response. The posts you’ve mentioned below are definitely very helpful.

Also, what are your thoughts on imported latex? I’ve called two places so far and both have given me quotes for a similar 8" all latex mattress (6" support layer of 100% natural Dunlop and 2" comfort layer of 100% natural Talalay), except one store uses imported latex and the other local.

Lastly, what are your personal thoughts on all-latex mattresses in terms of durability, comfort and sustainability?

Thanks.

Hi celestial,

Almost all of the Dunlop latex you encounter will be imported and some of the Talalay latex will be as well (Radium is in Holland and is the other Talalay latex manufacturer you will come across besides Latex International).

As long as it has a recognized certification (typically OekoTex but there are also others such as LGA, Eco Institut, and Eurolatex as well) and you know the type and blend of the latex then I would have no issues of any kind with imported latex.

In terms of durability … latex is among the most durable mattress materials and is the most durable of the foam types (see post #4 here).

Comfort is a subjective term and each person has their own definition but in terms of what I call PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) it would depend on the design of the latex mattress and whether it was suitable for your body type and sleeping style … as well as your preferences. Any material in the right combination and design can be both suitable and “comfortable” for some people and not for others.

In terms of sustainability or carbon footprint it would depend on how it was defined and which of the many steps from cradle to grave of a material are taken into account and measured. There are no clear definitions or answers to most questions that are connected to sustainablilty but there is some good information and links in post #2 here that may be helpful.

I think it would be fair to say that in spite of some concerns with issues like biodiversity or the energy and water required to produce it … latex (and especially 100% natural latex) would normally be considered among the most green and sustainable of mattress materials (along with innersprings and natural fibers).

Phoenix