Help with buying new latex mattress

Hello. I have been lurking on the site for awhile reading through the articles and the posts in the forum (lots of great info - thanks!!). My wife and I (I am 5’11" 180-185lbs and she is 5’4" 115-125lbs) currently sleep on an eastern king innerspring Serta that we purchased in 2001, and are both primarily side sleepers. The mattress really should have been replaced some time ago, but we have finally decided to make it a priority and do it. We live in the SF Bay Area, and decided to stop into Nest Bedding to take a look at their mattresses.

We were leaning towards either the Alexander Medium or the Alexander Hybrid (my wife liked the Hybrid a little more since it has a little softer feel, I liked the Medium a little more), but then decided we wanted a more natural option than the memory foam. We went back to the store again and tried out the Q3 Latex bed with the Soft topper (9in dunlop, 3in talalay). It was really nice, we both felt comfortable, but at $3999 for a king size bed (for the organic, not the blended latex) it is not in our budget. I decided to take a look at the websites for the members in the mattress underground mattress list and found some great options. Currently considering:

CozyPure - monozone 9in $1999 or 10in $2399 with the $698 LaNoodle topper, maybe the hotel package for $3299 since it has the LaNoodle topper

Flexus Comfort - 9 in $1645 or 10 in $1795, 3" natural talalay topper with cover $600

Flobeds - 9in $2399, topper is $499

SleepEz- 9in $1950, 10in $2195 or 13in $2495. Might buy 9in or 10in and buy the 3in topper 100% natural talalay for $513

I was wondering if anyone could me help choose from these options a setup that would be similar to the Q3 from Nest Bedding in feel.

Also, I was wondering:

-noodle vs solid topper - for example: CozyPure/Flobeds are shredded, whereas Flexus Comfort offers a solid latex topper. How does the shredded latex topper compare in feeling to the solid topper?

-Flobeds uses all talalay for its mattresses, vs. the others on the list (like SleepEz) that offer the option for dunlop and talalay. How would an all talalay mattress compare to a mattress with dunlop and talalay in how it feels?

• I am looking for a zipped mattress protector to put around the new mattress. Initially, I thought we would want to zip the cover around the mattress and the topper, but after reading this post, I realized it would be best for zipping up the mattress only (plus, some of the toppers come with their own zipped covers). Any suggestions for what I should buy for the zipped cover?

Thanks!!

Hi Mikep,

Just for reference and in case you decide to do some additional local testing on other mattresses … the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the San Francisco/San Rafael/Oakland/Berkeley areas (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here) are listed in post #2 here.

[quote]CozyPure - monozone 9in $1999 or 10in $2399 with the $698 LaNoodle topper, maybe the hotel package for $3299 since it has the LaNoodle topper

Flexus Comfort - 9 in $1645 or 10 in $1795, 3" natural talalay topper with cover $600

Flobeds - 9in $2399, topper is $499

SleepEz- 9in $1950, 10in $2195 or 13in $2495. Might buy 9in or 10in and buy the 3in topper 100% natural talalay for $513[/quote]

As you know these are all members of this site which means that I think highly of all of them and you are certainly looking at some great quality/value choices.

I would keep in mind that there will likely be a range of different designs that are in a similar overall firmness range even though they may use different layering combinations that may be just as good a “match” for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) as the mattress you tested at Nest Bedding.

Having said that … if you have two mattresses that use the same type and blend of latex layers and each layer is the same thickness and firmness level (rated in either density or ILD) and they have a similar cover then both mattresses will be very similar in terms of how they feel and perform but you would need to find out the firmness of each of the layers in the mattress you tested to be able to “match” it with similar layers in another mattress.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart (which would certainly include all of the manufacturers you listed) and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

It will depend to some degree on the amount of fill in the shredded latex topper and on the type and shape of the latex particles (different particle sizes and shapes will affect the feel of the topper) but in general terms they would be softer and feel more “fluffy” than a solid topper. The latex pieces would tend to move away from pressure to some degree while a solid latex layer would only compress under pressure. The shredded latex would be somewhat “in between” the feel of a featherbed and a soft solid latex topper.

It would depend on the firmness of each of the layers in the mattress but there is more about some of the general differences between Talalay and Dunlop latex in post #7 here but the best way to know which type and blend of latex you tend to prefer will be based on your own testing or your own personal experience. You will tend to “feel” the properties and “feel” of the layers that are closer to the top of the mattress than the layers that are deeper in the mattress.

For those that have more severe allergies then a complete encasement would do a better job controlling dust mites and allergens (and I would also focus on your pillow which can be a bigger source of dust mite issues than your mattress because it’s closer to your mouth and nose). There is more about controlling dust mites in post #2 here and more about mattress encasements for allergies or bed bugs in post #2 here. If you decide to use an encasement I would choose an encasement that was the same thickness or a little larger than the mattress and the topper combined (not thinner) and/or stretchy enough so the encasement can enclose the mattress and topper and doesn’t compress the mattress/topper and create a “drum effect” or change the feel of the sleeping system.

For most people though a mattress protector would probably be a better choice because it can be removed on a regular basis and cleaned while an encasement is meant to remain around the mattress on a semi permanent basis so unless you have severe allergies I would tend to choose a mattress protector that fits on your mattress like a fitted sheet rather than a mattress allergy encasement. You can also use both with za breathable encasement around the mattress as an allergy barrier in addition to a mattress protector that can be removed and cleaned to protect the mattress from the fluids and body oils that we release each night and to protect against spills and accidents. I would also use a topper under the protector because the cover around a topper has a different function and doesn’t protect the latex as effectively from liquids and body oils and is also more difficult to remove and clean.

If you decide to use a protector then there is more about the pros and cons of different types of mattress protectors and some examples of each of them in post #89 here.

Phoenix

Thanks so much Phoenix for answering my post so quickly, and for all of the great resources on this site! I will take a look at all of the posts you linked to and hope to make a decision soon.

Thanks again!!

• Mike

Hi Mikep,

Once you have narrowed down your options to a list of finalists that are all choices between “good and good” (which they are) and you have confirmed that none of them have any lower quality materials or “weak links” in their design relative to your weight range (which they don’t) and if at this point there are no clear winners between them (which is usually a good indication that you have done some good research) then you are in the fortunate position that any of them would likely be a suitable choice and post #2 here can help you make a final choice based on your local testing or mattresses you have slept well on, your more detailed conversations with each of them, your confidence about PPP and the suitability of each one, their prices, your preferences for different types of materials, the options you have after a purchase to fine tune the mattress or exchange or return the mattress or individual layers, any additional extras that are part of each purchase, and on “informed best judgement” based on all the other objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

You are certainly looking at some great quality/value choices and I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding :slight_smile:

Phoenix

For a pure latex bed with a natural wool topper, wouldn’t a mattress protector be better to use as opposed to a full encasement protector? I am thinking that by leaving the underside of the mattress exposed, the latex would breathe better.

Hi Happyday:

As you know, temperature regulation while sleeping is a complex process, with every layer having an overall effect upon the complete system. I’m including quite a bit of information here just in case someone comes across this thread and desires more detailed information upon the subject. The most important information about mattress protectors is in the first paragraph below.

The mattress protector you choose along with your sheets and other bedding and what you wear when you sleep will also have a significant effect on temperature regulation because they can either add to the insulating effect or to the ventilating and moisture wicking effect of your mattress. You can see more about the effect of different mattress protectors (and the difference that encasements can make) in post #89 here.

Bedding made from natural fibers or viscose materials (like bamboo) will also tend to be cooler than synthetic fibers and linen sheets along with silk are probably the coolest of all the natural fibers for those where sleeping temperature is a main priority. There is more about sheets and bedding in post #7 here. In many cases changing the mattress protector, sheets, or bedding to cooler versions can make “enough” of a difference for many people who would otherwise sleep hot on a mattress.

All of this of course is separate from any environmental conditions in the bedroom (temperature and humidity levels with higher humidity adding to the perception of heat), on the physiology and tendency of the person themselves to sleep warmer or cooler and where they are in the “oven to iceberg” range, and on their weight and body type which will affect how deeply they sink into the foam layers of the mattress.

In other words, it’s always a combination of several interacting factors that determines the sleeping temperature of a mattress in combination with a specific person and environment.

While it’s not possible to quantify the sleeping temperature of a mattress for any particular person with any real accuracy because there are so many variables involved including the type of mattress protector and the sheets and bedding that you use (which in many cases can have just as significant an effect on sleeping temperature as the type of foam in a mattress) and on where you are in the “oven to iceberg” range and because there is no standardized testing for temperature regulation with different combinations of materials … there is more about the many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress or sleeping system in post #2 here that can help you choose the types of materials and components that are most likely to keep you in a comfortable temperature range.

Latex in general is the most breathable and temperature neutral of all the different foam materials and memory foam is generally the warmest although there are many versions of every type of foam (latex foam, memory foam, polyfoam) that can vary in their breathability and temperature regulating properties.

In very general terms … the materials, layers, and components of a sleeping system that are closer to your skin will have a bigger effect on airflow, moisture transport, and temperature regulation than materials, layers, and components that are further away from your skin and softer mattresses will tend to be more “insulating” and for some people can sleep warmer than firmer mattresses.

Wool is one of the best temperature regulating materials (in both directions) that is used in the industry and is used in thinner layers in the desert and in thicker layers in the Arctic because of its effectiveness in regulating temperature. If you have a latex mattress with a wool quilted cover and/or you are using a breathable mattress protector and/or you are using sheets that are made from natural fibers (such as cotton or silk or flax linen) or semi synthetic fibers (such as bamboo or other types of viscose/rayon fabrics) and you are using bedding that is appropriate for the temperature of your bedroom then it would be very unlikely that you would have any temperature regulation issues.

Phoenix

Hi Happyday:

As you know, temperature regulation while sleeping is a complex process, with every layer having an overall effect upon the complete system. I’m including quite a bit of information here just in case someone comes across this thread and desires more detailed information upon the subject. The most important information about mattress protectors is in the first paragraph below.

The mattress protector you choose along with your sheets and other bedding and what you wear when you sleep will also have a significant effect on temperature regulation because they can either add to the insulating effect or to the ventilating and moisture wicking effect of your mattress. You can see more about the effect of different mattress protectors (and the difference that encasements can make) in post #89 here.

Bedding made from natural fibers or viscose materials (like bamboo) will also tend to be cooler than synthetic fibers and linen sheets along with silk are probably the coolest of all the natural fibers for those where sleeping temperature is a main priority. There is more about sheets and bedding in post #7 here. In many cases changing the mattress protector, sheets, or bedding to cooler versions can make “enough” of a difference for many people who would otherwise sleep hot on a mattress.

All of this of course is separate from any environmental conditions in the bedroom (temperature and humidity levels with higher humidity adding to the perception of heat), on the physiology and tendency of the person themselves to sleep warmer or cooler and where they are in the “oven to iceberg” range, and on their weight and body type which will affect how deeply they sink into the foam layers of the mattress.

In other words, it’s always a combination of several interacting factors that determines the sleeping temperature of a mattress in combination with a specific person and environment.

While it’s not possible to quantify the sleeping temperature of a mattress for any particular person with any real accuracy because there are so many variables involved including the type of mattress protector and the sheets and bedding that you use (which in many cases can have just as significant an effect on sleeping temperature as the type of foam in a mattress) and on where you are in the “oven to iceberg” range and because there is no standardized testing for temperature regulation with different combinations of materials … there is more about the many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress or sleeping system in post #2 here that can help you choose the types of materials and components that are most likely to keep you in a comfortable temperature range.

Latex in general is the most breathable and temperature neutral of all the different foam materials and memory foam is generally the warmest although there are many versions of every type of foam (latex foam, memory foam, polyfoam) that can vary in their breathability and temperature regulating properties.

In very general terms … the materials, layers, and components of a sleeping system that are closer to your skin will have a bigger effect on airflow, moisture transport, and temperature regulation than materials, layers, and components that are further away from your skin and softer mattresses will tend to be more “insulating” and for some people can sleep warmer than firmer mattresses.

Wool is one of the best temperature regulating materials (in both directions) that is used in the industry and is used in thinner layers in the desert and in thicker layers in the Arctic because of its effectiveness in regulating temperature. If you have a latex mattress with a wool quilted cover and/or you are using a breathable mattress protector and/or you are using sheets that are made from natural fibers (such as cotton or silk or flax linen) or semi synthetic fibers (such as bamboo or other types of viscose/rayon fabrics) and you are using bedding that is appropriate for the temperature of your bedroom then it would be very unlikely that you would have any temperature regulation issues.

Phoenix