Help with choosing a mattress

Received a phone call back from James. I was not home, so the wife spoke with the Flexus representative. She explained what we were looking for and our profiles. He questioned why we thought we needed the 13" model agreeing that it would give us the most flexibility, but stated a 10" would work for us. If at some later point we thought we wanted more, we could buy a topper. So he essentially talked us into saving money.
The configuration we had come up, he agreed was good for us and gave us his recommendation for a 10" model.
I just placed our order. They are running a sale right now and gave us the Mattress Underground discount.
So far so good…

Hi rudy1337.

Thanks for the update. I am glad that your wife spoke with James and discussed your options in more depth. His suggestions and your final decision make good sense to me. (I am glad you received your discount as well)

Congratulations on your new mattress purchase! :cheer:

You certainly chose something using good quality and durable materials. As you are aware Flexus Comfort is of our Trusted Members which means that I think very highly of them and that I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency.

I hope you have the chance to share an update when you’ve had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

How can I start a thread/post a topic?

Hi coast.

We are busy on the back end implementing the – Talk to the Experts features and while it is under construction we have temporarily eliminated “New Topics” from the General Mattress, allowing the creation of “New Topics” only from the Experts dedicated areas where you can ask our Experts directly a question. When time permits and when appropriate I will add any relevant information that may be helpful.

For now you could focus on an area of expertise that seems to be closer to what you are looking for and start a New topic here (More will become available soon)

You can also peruse and Search our forum for a topic that is relevant or close to what you are looking for and I’ll reply as soon as I have some time …

Thank you for your understanding and I or any of the Expert Members of our site will be happy to assist you.

Phoenix.

Phoenix,

I have been searching the topics & forum post on this site for days now. First of all, kudos for creating an awesome resource!

Now, onto my question: with the help of the files here, I narrowed down my choice to latex, or latex hybrid. Yesterday, my husband and I went to IKEA to try their latex/hybrid mattresses, since it’s the only place around me I knew would definitely have them. There are 3 models available: MATRAND) latex/poly ($), MYRBACKA) latex/unknown, and ($$) MORGONGÅVA) natural latex ($$$). All were medium/firm, but we liked the cheapest one, MATRAND, the most (page 9). What’s up with that? How can three mattresses that all supposed to be med/firm from the same company feel so different!?

My original plan was to go all latex for a mattress, but now I’m worried about buying online. The MORGONGÅVA was REALLY hard, so much so that it hurt both of our backs. The MYRBACKA was okay, but still too firm. The MATRAND was perfect for him the second he laid down, and after a couple of minutes of laying on it, it was decent for me.

IKEA being themselves, I can’t tell which type of latex it is, and am having trouble getting the specifics. I read somewhere that the MATRAND has 1.7 lb density polyfoam as the core, which worries me in terms of durability. I went into this search thinking I would either DIY with this forum’s help/using guidance from a trusted member here, or at least make an educated choice about something less customizable. After going to try the beds, I feel like know less than when I started! I am tempted to buy the IKEA bed with potentially poor(er) materials just to get it over with. :frowning:

How do I tell if all latex is not for me after all? The MORGONGÅVA only had the one solid layer of natural latex-- is that the problem? Would more layers help? (I assume ‘yes,’ logically, but I feel like I’m drowning in information & possibilities). Before yesterday, I was leaning heavily towards Flexus Comfort or Latex Mattress Factory. I feel really lost!

Any advice? Thanks!

Reference: http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_US/pdf/buying_guides_fy15/Mattresses_bg.pdf

Him: 5’7’’ // ~180 // (M) // back-to-side sleeper // sleeps hot
Me: 5’10’ // ’ ~150 // (F) // back-to-side sleeper
Budget: ~$1500, King

Hi kakhea.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

I’m happy that the information here is helpful and is making things a bit clearer for you.
Thanks for summarizing at the end of your posting the few things to keep in mind …sometimes I have to dig across many postings to understand the larger picture for any particular poster.

You are correct that all 3 Ikea mattresses you’ve tested are rated as medium firm , but generally speaking, there are no “standard” definitions or consensus of opinions for firmness ratings even across products from the same manufacturer where accuracy is not a priority. As all layers work together, how much you’ll sink an what you feel on a specific mattress depends on your body specifics and also on the overall layer combination, including the encasement and the bedding being used and also as the thickness and softness are interrelated and this may also may alter the firmness rating as it applies to you.

The issue of firmness ratings is even more complicated as different manufacturers can rate their mattresses very differently than others so a mattress that one manufacturer rates as being a specific firmness could be rated very differently by another manufacturer. Different people can also have very different perceptions of firmness and softness compared to others as well and a mattress that feels firm for one person can feel like “medium” for someone else or even “soft” for someone else (or vice versa) depending on their body type, sleeping style, physiology, their frame of reference based on what they are used to, and their individual sensitivity and perceptions. There are also different types of firmness and softness that different people may be sensitive to that can affect how they “rate” a mattress as well (see post #15 here ) so different people can also have very different opinions on how two mattresses compare in terms of firmness and some people may rate one mattress as being firmer than another and someone else may rate them the other way around. This is all relative and very subjective and is as much an art as a science.

Martrand Latex 7" uses 5" of synthetic Dunlop latex (A forum search on Myrbacka and on Matrand (you can just click the links) will bring up more information about them (and some pictures as well)

While the Dunlop latex would be a better quality material, and the polyfoam would be “on the edge” of being better quality, I have received feedback in the past on the inconsistency and poor quality of assembly of many Ikea mattresses, so it is possible that you run into this when you tested this item. I would not rush into any purchase just because it is convenient or because you wish “to get it over with”. The way you sleep will affect the way you live and it is worth the time investment to get things right.

The most important part of the “value” of a mattress purchase is how well it matches your specific needs and preferences in terms of PPP and this can be very different for each person. Regardless of the cost or quality of a mattress … if a mattress isn’t a good match for you and you don’t sleep well on it then it would have little value to you regardless of how well any other person or group of people may sleep on it. When you are looking at a local mattress then careful and objective testing is the most reliable way to assess this.

Outside of the suitability of a mattress … the quality and durability of the materials are the next most important part of the value of a mattress purchase. If a mattress is “perfect” at first but uses lower quality materials that can soften, break down, or compress too quickly relative to the price you paid and you lose the comfort and support that was the reason you bought it in the first place then it would also have little value to you. Don’t forget that the loss of comfort and/or support is the main reason that you will need to replace a mattress and this isn’t covered by warranties (which only cover manufacturing defects). In the case of latex I would want to confirm the type and blend of the latex (unlike polyfoam or memory foam where the density is the most important “quality” spec).

The answers to your questions about ILD may be a little bit more complex and more than you would want to know at this time. Suffice to know that that ILD in latex has variance across the surface (usually measured with a 6" thick layer) differs from manufacturer to manufacturer (may be using different testing protocols) The accuracy of the rating depends on the source and their knowledge of latex foam and on whether the ILD is a real measurement or just a guess or “mistranslation” from other methods. Dunlop latex that is accurately rated as being in a certain range (it’s never a single number in reality) will also feel firmer to most people than Talalay of the same ILD range unless you only sink into the layer exactly 25%.

If you are testing a mattress locally then none of this really matters because what you feel when you test a mattress will be more important than any ILD or comfort specs although it may be more important in an online purchase if you know the specific and accurate ILD of all the layers in a mattress you have tested locally (as well as all the other information and specs that will play just as big a role in how a mattress feels as ILD) and you are looking to make an online choice that is somewhat comparable to what you have tested locally.

As far as adding more layers …In the large majority of cases … 8" - 9" of latex is easily enough to include the combination softer layers (or sometimes sections) for pressure relief and firmer layers for support that most people of average or even higher weights would need. In some cases … lighter weights or people that sleep in “flatter” sleeping positions, have slimmer less curvy body types, or who prefer a firmer mattress will do well with even 6" even though there is less “room” to design in different layers in the mattress. Thicker mattresses can also use firmer materials because thickness and softness are very related and work together. These are all good questions to ask the manufacturer or retailer of a mattress so they can discuss the differences between the different options they have available in terms that are more specific to the layers they use or options they provide.

Unfortunately there is no “magic bullet” when it comes to your own needs and preferences … “suitability” is the most important part of the “value” of a mattress purchase is and how well it matches you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) which “translates” into how well you will sleep on the mattress. Only you can feel what you feel on a mattress or decide which one you would most likely prefer and that you believe is likely to be the best match for you based on your preferences and testing on different materials and types of mattresses (using the testing guidelines in the tutorial post) or in the case of an online purchase your more detailed conversations with an online manufacturer or retailer so they can help “talk you through” the options that may be best for you (see post #2 here) There is also more about the different ways to choose the most suitable mattress that can help you identify and minimize the risks involved with each of them in post #2 here . There would be little value in a mattress purchase where you don’t sleep well on the mattress regardless of the quality of the materials or the price of the mattress.

Outside your personal testing one best way to get a more accurate idea is to deal with better manufacturers or sources who will usually list their latex more accurately as they are much more familiar with their own mattress designs and materials than anyone else and they can use the information you provide them about your body type and sleeping positions, your preferences, your history on different mattresses, and the results of your local testing to make suggestions based on the “averages” of other customers that may be similar to you. The more accurate and detailed the information you provide them the better you will help them to help you make the best possible choices out of the options they have available. Of course the options you have available with each retailer or manufacturer (or with a particular mattress) and your ability to exchange layers or the mattress itself or use other forms of fine-tuning after your purchase or the return policy may also be an important part of your personal value equation or to offset the risk that can go with any online purchase. Both Flexus Comfort and Latex Mattress Factory along with other members of this site would qualify as “better” or more accurate sources. They are both our Trusted Members here which means that I think very highly of them and that I believe that they compete well with best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency.

So hopefully this wasn’t too complex even though it’s never as simple as I and most others would want it to be.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Thank you for the quick reply! I will have to talk to some manufacturers directly. I currently have the flu, so I have been spending a LOT of time on my very uncomfortable mattress. The irony of trying to find a new mattress while being stuck on the old isn’t lost on me!

I’m definitely ready to invest in something better than IKEA! I’ve narrowed it down to three choices I found here on TMU (Latex Mattress Factory, Sedona Sleep, and Sleep EZ). I will either post again in the expert section, or call them directly. I have a phone phobia (and I sound silly right now), but maybe my husband will sit with me. :slight_smile:

Thank you again for your help!

Hi kakhea.

Having phone phobia is much better than having somniphobia (sleep phobia) that will keep you up at night … but for either is great to make sure that your husband nearby. :slight_smile:

Each of the three options you are considering is well represented in the expert section or our site and you can always reach them directly through the Ask an Expert although this may take a little more back and forth.

Phoenix

I can’t figure out how to ask a question so I will ask it here. I am going out of my mind picking a mattress. I am 130 lbs. and a stomach and side sleeper. My husband is 170 lbs and can sleep any way. We currently have an old coil mattress with 4 inches of memory foam toppers and I wake up in pain every day…neck, hip and back. He usually has pain too but blames it on a motorcycle accident he had. I really think the mattress makes it worse. I definitely need great edge support as I sleep on the edge so I am looking for a hybrid. I keep hearing that the department store mattresses are low quality and don’t last. I also keep hearing how latex hybrid is the way to go. I sleep super hot so maybe so, but I am not sure how latex will feel for providing support. I guess I got used to the mattress contouring to my body and not sure if latex does that? I also need motion isolation as I have restless leg syndrome. There is nowhere to go near me (zip 17025) that I know of to try a latex hybrid. I am horrible with decisions and afraid to try the online stores, but when I went to Mattress Firm, they were pushy and expensive. I am looking to spend no more than $1200. I need help please!

Two week update.
Took much longer for them to ship the mattress than the quoted 48 hours. Actually required me calling them to get an update and they said it would ship the next day. About a week later than what I had hoped for.
Mattress arrived in 3 large boxes + 1 small box. 1 box had a hole in it, but no damage to the foam.
Ended up assembling the bed myself which was not difficult and very straightforward.

First night sleep was ok. Not spectacular, just ok. Much better than the mattress we were replacing though. It was so nice to wake up not hurting.
As we have settled into the bed, the layers chosen for the wife have turned out to be perfect for her. My side is firm like I like and is allowing my body to adjust back to being supported. A year on the previous mattress really made me create different sleeping habits.
The wife really likes her side at this point. I really like mine as well. Not in love yet, but I do believe once we have fully adjusted, we will both love the mattress.

I will try to check back in periodically and provide updates, but can’t guarantee anything. :slight_smile: I do understand the value of others reviews and appreciate all of those who took the time to leave theirs.

Would I recommend a Flexus latex? ABSOLUTELY! Only thing I would warn is that you should call regularly to check on the status if you are expecting to get your mattress in a certain time frame. I believe they were the best value choice after my weeks of research.
Biggest thing to remember in the whole process of selecting a latex mattress is that all latex comes from the same very few sources. There is not much that any one company can do to make theirs better than others. Keep that in mind as you read the various vendors websites and how their latex is the best when compared to others. Understanding traits of Talalay and Dunlop is a must in deciding what works best for you. I thought I wanted an all Dunlop then tried a Talalay bed and could feel the density difference. It makes most sense for me to have a dense base layer and build up to softer with a Talalay being the top.

Hi rudy1337.

I appreciate you taking the time to update us on the forum and for sharing your comments, insightful observations and feedback now that you had a chance to sleep on your new mattress for a little bit … and it’s great to hear that it is working out so well for both of you and I am glad you took your time with the research and information needed to select the right product and manufacturer … all well worth in exchange for many nights of restful sleep.

I’m certainly looking forward to any additional feedback you may have (I understand “no guarantee” …and no pressure either, :wink: but I am glad you took the time to update us for the benefit of others that may come across your postings and experience)

Phoenix

Thank you for reaching out and I understand your frustrations as you are probably getting bombarded from all different directions. A latex hybrid like our Ultimate Hybrid is a great way to go. It not only has a firmer edge but also firmer in the middle to help prevent dipping. The pocket coil design helps isolate motion and the latex layer offers air flow, pressure relief and durability. So with a latex hybrid such as this you do get the best of both the spring and foam worlds all in one. If motion isolation is top priority then you should look into getting an all latex mattress.

Although not the cheapest way to go if you want to get a feel for both latex hybrid and all latex mattress try searching for a Savvy Rest dealer in your area. I believe there are a few within 30-35 miles of your zip code. You can search them at the Savvy Rest website. Note the model and firmness you like and then reach out to one of us factory direct manufacturers here on this site for a similar construction and a huge savings.

I sent an email through your mattresses.net website seeking some more advice but haven’t gotten a response yet. In my research I am finding that latex does not offer as good motion isolation and now I am not sure if it is the way to go. I barely get more than 3 hrs sleep a night. Im sure having a crappy coil mattress with 4 inches of an added memory foam (store bought) pad isn’t helping. We came from a king all memory foam to that in Queen and now I also feel every movement he makes so I’m Sleeping on the edge of the bed, I have restless leg syndrome, feel him moving, sleep hot, toss & turn all night long and am uncomfortable …all that equals very little sleep. I’m miserable. To make matters worse I am bad at decisions. So I get frustrated trying to figure all of this out. I wish I could go back to a King bed as well but it took up our entire room. I can’t even figure out what firmness to get because I go to sleep on stomach but will end up on my side a lot. I don’t like the idea of buying online because I don’t want to have to pay to ship back but store mattresses just seem like poor material and more money. I have been searching for about 6 months and am still no closer. Help!

I don’t even know when my wife get’s in and out of bed so I disagree about the motion isolation properties of latex. I think you need to take a look at both your foundation or box spring along with the bed frame because both of those could cause major issues with motion and thus transfer through to the mattress, even latex.

I was just going by what I have read. We have a bed that has wooden slats and then currently have a wood box spring under the coil mattress. I’m sure it is typical to feel movement in a spring mattress like we have. I’m glad to hear that latex is not like that. Is it the same with a latex hybrid? We just bought our bedroom set so changing that is not an option. Is a wooden boxspring ok? We also have a metal one (with a fabric cover) that we can use. We definitely need a box spring with the headboard we have unless the mattress is super thick.

There are wood foundations that look like a box spring but no springs, that is what we recommend for latex mattresses. Then there are actual metal box springs which will only add to the motion of any mattress. Then you have wood slat platform beds which do the same thing as our wood foundation, no jiggle. We have our latex mattress on an adjustable bed which is also like a solid base with no motion other than the normal head up and feet up positions.

Going by the info I provided (Im 130 lb, hubby 170, I start by sleeping on my stomach and end up on my side at times.
May husband starts on his back and ends up on side or stomach when i yell at him to roll over because he snores,
I have restless legs and he can feel me move as well as i feel every move he makes, I wake up with back, neck & hip pain) what firmness level do you recommend?

I previously suggested visiting the Savvy Rest dealer to get a feel for latex and what firmness you like. Were you able to do that and if so what was your experience?

No, we had somewhat of a big snowstorm here and unable to get anywhere. I’d have to talk my husband into it. He thinks I’m nuts looking so much into a mattress. I guess when he can sleep on anything it doesn’t matter. The closest Savvy Rest dealer is about 45 min. away from us. I wish there was a store like within 15 min. that sold latex. Be easier to get there with him

But it could eliminate the chance of doing a comfort exchange and save money in the long run.