Help with choosing a mattress

Hi Mike77,

Thank you for posting your question on The Mattress Underground. The fabric that is ripped on your current mattress does have a purpose. It is there to prevent “Cupping”.

What that means is it keeps the layers above the spring from getting into each coil. We have used extruded plastic netting, cotton rag pad and non-woven fabric like you found at Joann’s in our products. In your case, you are stacking layers of latex above the spring for your comfort layers.

The product you identified from Joann’s would work well for what you want to do.

However, you can also use a thinner product that would accomplish the same thing. As long as you cover the springs and attach the barrier to the edge of the coils (we use hog rings, but you could use a large needle and dental floss or fishing line to sew it to the edge coils) it should work.

I wish you much success in building your mattress!
If you have additional questions, please let me know.

Debbie Lewis
Parklane Mattresses

Hi Phoenix,

Thanks for your response, I have done a LOT of research about latex before i have decided to get a 6" medium base from sleep on latex and a 3" soft topper. I have to say it was a lot more comfortable compared to my old mattress, however, the topper did smell. I have a small room and and my window is not big, however i noticed that on hot days with more heat/sunlight it did smell more. I had not purchased a casing for the topper yet and it was under cotton mattress pat, sheets, and bed cover. While the comfort was OK, some nights i noticed i had developed headaches, irritated/swollen eyes in the morning, and mild nasal congestion. Also I was sweating more than on my regular mattress which I think is polyurethane foam with springs. In fact skin on my back became somewhat irritated. I don’t know what to think I only have read good reviews I guess and haven’t looked that it can have such issues. I am now thinking it must be in a case or a wool mattress pad underneath. Also, both a mattress and a topper both have patches, now sure why.

Hi lkirik2000.

For the vast majority of people, any smell of latex would be below their sensitivity threshold after a few days to a few weeks although if you put your nose right into the bare material you may still notice a slight smell. There is more about the smell of latex in post #2 here or odor of new materials in post #3 here but in most cases latex smell is reduced to levels below what people will notice in a few days to a few weeks but this can also depend on how acute your sense of smell is and on how sensitive you are to a particular smell. There can also be some differences between different batches of Dunlop.

It’s very unusual though that someone would develop headaches, irritated/swollen eyes in the morning, and nasal congestion with any kind of latex (this is a more common symptom with memory foam) so this may be an indication of an unusual sensitivity or even a possible latex allergy (which would be rare but is the case for a very few people). There is more about latex allergies in post #2 here. It may even be something that has nothing to do with the latex itself but I don’t know what that could be and it may take some detective work or a process of elimination to find out for sure.

SOL does use 100% natural Dunlop latex, organic certified cotton and organic wool in their mattresses as well, I wouldn’t know if this “smell” would be from the latex or from the wool itself as the more “natural” the material, the more variation there can be in the odor.

The materials, layers, and components of a sleeping system that are closer to your skin will have a bigger effect on airflow, moisture transport, and temperature regulation than materials, layers, and components that are further aw, in general,r skin. Your bedding and the wool pad would have the most impact on how warm you’d sleep. Wool is among the best temperature regulating materials and it generally doesn’t feel “hot” and it helps regulate moisture too (which can trap heat) and reduce the perception of temperature that comes from higher humidity levels (similar to how temperatures feel cooler on less humid days than they do on more humid days).
Latex in general is also the most breathable and “temperature neutral” of all the different types of foam materials (including polyurethane) but the firmness of a mattress and how much you sink into it can also affect sleeping temperature as well. While it’s also not always possible to track down temperature regulation issues for any particular person on a specific mattress because there are so many variables involved (including your room temperature and humidity, your sheets and bedding and bedclothes, your mattress protector or any mattress pads you are using, and where you are in the “oven to iceberg” range) and some people can sleep warmer on mattresses that most people are generally fine with … there is more about tracking down a potential cause or causes for temperature regulation issues (at least to the degree possible for a specific mattress) in post #2 here and the posts it links to that may be helpful.

Ultimately I’d suggest that you contact SOL directly with your concerns should the odor continue to be obtrusive to you and gather their feedback, as I do think highly of the advice that they provide their customers.

Phoenix

I chose the soft/plush going by my weight and sleep positions and trial on a Savvy Rest bed. This is what Ken suggested. I just got it yesterday and have not set it up. I will let you know!

Still not sure how to post a new topic. I just got my Arizona mattress Ultimate hybrid yesterday. I have not set it up yet. I am looking for a good waterproof mattress protector that will not affect body temperature or feel plastic. Spent a lot on the mattress and want to make sure it is protected and lasts.

Hi Jill71rdh.

Congratulations on your new mattress purchase! :cheer:

I am glad you are narrowed down your search and decided on a product from Arizona Premium. As you already know they are one of the manufacturing Trusted Members of this site and like all the members here I think very highly of and consider them to compete well with “the best” in the industry.

I agree with you that It’s always wise to use a mattress protector on any mattress to protect your investment against stains and accidental spills (which can void a mattress warranty) or from the normal body fluids and oils that we release each night along with the skin particles. Having a protector that can easily be removed and washed will help keep your sleeping surface in a clean and hygienic condition. There are many protectors to choose from and you may wish to read through some of the popular types of mattress protector options as listed in post #89 here . There are some protectors that meet your general criteria that use wool (which is a more temperature regulating material) in their construction that may be of interest to you. One of the most popular of the cotton/wool protectors is the St Dormier protectors that you may wish to consider, but it is water resistant and not 100% waterproof. St Dormier has been recently discussed in post #24 here There is more about the pros and cons of different types of mattress protectors in post #89 I linked above. The stretch knit cotton protectors would likely allow more airflow but with the wool, the St Dormeir would likely be more temperature regulating than any protector.

I’m looking forward to your feedback when you’ve had the chance to sleep on your new mattress for a while.

Phoenix

I would need waterproof…not just water resistant.
I bought a Lucid Rayon Bamboo jersey pad and just put it on (we just set up mattress today) and it sounds like a garbage bag. It is very thin and that may be why. Any recommendations for that? I read the articles you referred me too and it seems like if I want waterproof and not just water resistant, I may have some noise no matter what.

Could you give me a general idea of what the difference in the feel of an all natural medium Talalay 3 inch topper would be compared to an all natural 3 inch soft Dunlop topper.

I was recommended one by one place and the other by another place.

I am 220, 5’ 8, with sore shoulders and hips, and lower back problems.

Thank you in advance.

P.s. I’m often a side sleeper, and sometimes a back sleeper. Never a stomach sleeper. Thanks.

I seem to be having further issues.

So i went with a fabric i got from my local Joanns fabric. It was a piece of underlining for upholstery (liner underneath chair), and it seems a bit tough on me. Its about all they had. Nothing softer. The lining that ripped was lots softer.

Its basically polypropylene fabric (non woven i think) made for mattresses. Now im pretty sure this is a problem anyways, as even w/ the old fabric i was getting shoulder and hip pain, but i think this tougher fabric has somewhat made it worse (as the fabric creates small fabric hammocks for my butt and back, although firm ones).

Do you know of any type of fabric i could use that would be softer than furniture underlining? A thin piece of something? And/or who sells it? I would love to find the polypropylene mattress liner fabric but it only seems like china makes it.

Also, is is basically true that the lining above the coils is really needed to help distribute the weight of my body? I mean aside from the “anti cupping” action.

Hi Mike77,

Using a stiff fabric could indeed impact your interaction with the innerspring unit.

I would think if you have the right combination of comfort layers over the spring and this fabric, you shouldn’t be impacted by the heavy fabric creating hammocks while you sleep, unless you have pulled it too tight over the spring. Do you have an old sheet you could try as a barrier? It needs to lay over the spring, and as I mentioned before attach to the coils, but do not pull it so tight that it keeps you off the spring. Then add your comfort layers and see what happens.

I hope this works, and you find comfort for your shoulders and hips.

Debbie Lewis

Hello SnoozyDoodle,

Unfortunately it’s hard to give really accurate answers for these beyond basic general comparisons between Talalay and Dunlop as we don’t know the details of these toppers. Even the fabric can change the feel of a topper, and these are products being sold by other retailers.

Generally speaking though, Talalay will have a more buoyant and responsive feel than Dunlop. And if the firmness of the two toppers is comparable in terms of ILD/IFD the Talalay will still offer superior pressure relief, and potentially support. I think it is a superior material to use for a topper, most people do find it to be more comfortable on sore hips/shoulders which is a very common issue for side sleepers.

I hope you find this to be helpful.

I just joined this forum after spending wwaaayy to much time online trying to find that perfect mattress. I went to ONE retailer and could not stomach the interaction and after reading some of your posts I see why. The mattresses I thought I narrowed my choices down to are the Zenhaven and Luma Plush All Latex sleep system. Now I’m back to confused. I’m a 6’ 190 lb side sleeper and like a plusher sleep experience. My questions to the forum:

1. Opinions on the 2 mattresses?
  2. Good local retailers to visit - I am located in San Francisco.
    Thank you.

And btw - I found trying to figure out to start a new post or topic completely opaque - I could NOT figure it out!

Like robin107, I too just joined the forum, and have been unable to figure out how to start a new topic. So, I am replying to “Forum Help.” I have read the tutorial.

I sleep solo most of the time. I mostly sleep on my side. I am a ‘senior,’ six feet tall with BMI of 32. I am presently sleeping on a coil spring Sealy that is over 12 years old and well past its ‘use-by date.’ About two years ago, I tried a Brentwood Home Coronado I got from Costco. Though it seemed well made, the mattress developed a ridge across the middle (perhaps where it had been folded when shipped?) More important, from a comfort aspect, the mattress was just too hard for me, even after six months of ‘breaking in.’ I’d wake up with sore hip and shoulder, to roll over only to do the same again after two hours.

I am seriously considering an Avocado Green mattress, largely based upon what I have read here, in Consumer Reports, and other on-line resources. I have some reservations:
a) How can a coil spring mattress be shipped in ‘rolled-up’ compressed packaging without damage?
b) I sleep hot; how likely is it that I will find this too hot, especially in summer?
c) I am wary of buying without having slept on the mattress, but I guess the return option will ease my worry a bit in that regard.
d) I was planning on using (at least for a trial period) the box spring I got with the Sealy. It seems in good shape. Will this be a problem either from either a functional or warranty standpoint?

Thanks for reading and for any comments or suggestions as to alternatives or as to considerations I’ve not mentioned.

P.S., Sorry for the double space; I could not figure out how to single space.

silly question of the day. how do you start a new topic? there’s no new topic button on my screen

I’m wondering this too. It’s probably some kind of minimum reply limitation they don’t tell you about.

well ill reply here and get to the limit hopefully. theres nothing in the help either.

I thought at first this was just an option but it appears to be the only way to create a thread here:

http://forum.mattressunderground.com/c/talk-to-the-experts.html

I guess you have to ask in one of these sections and can’t create a thread in any traditional manner as usual for other forums over the years of the internet.

I’m interested in SleepEZ and they’ve been really helpful through a few emails. However, they don’t seem to carry lighter-ILD talalay. SleepingOrganic, however, seems to carry a lot of different firmnesses, including an extra soft talalay (which I think I might want). In fact, they are the only ones I see listing extra soft. I thought pure talalay only came from 1 or 2 manufacturs worldwide…how is this possible?

I’d call and ask them but it sounds like Charleston is now flooding in a bad way thanks to Hurricane Florence. Eek. Hope they’re okay out there…

Here’s what I’ve found:
SLEEP EZ / SLEEPING ORGANIC
Extra soft na / 14-19 (SleepEZ doesn’t seem to have extra soft…most companies don’t)
soft 19-20 / 19-23 (similar)
medium 30-32 / 24-28 (big difference!)
firm 38-40 / 32-35 (noting that SO’s “firm” is really more SleepEZ’s “medium”)
extra firm 44 / 32-35 (nothing that SO’s extra firm is almost the same as SleepEZ’s medium)