Help with choosing a mattress

I found a Wolfe Furniture store near me that carries a Restonic mattress that is supposed to be a latex hybrid with a memory foam top. If I tried this, would it help?

I still am not sure how to start a new question so I’ll just post here. I finally looked at the tag on my current mattress to see what NOT to buy (it was in our guest room & bought off of Craigslist a few yrs ago. We downsized to a Queen in our bedroom & started using it). I did put 2 in. memory foam topper on & then another 2 inch. but I actually think it may be worse. Anyways, how can I tell from the tag what firmness level it is?

Mattress law tags aren’t a designation of plushness, but are meant to show things such as model name, content by weight, burn prototype numbers, date and location of construction, manufacturer, and so on. This mattress is a Beautysleep Eurotop, which means nothing as far as softness is concerned, as Eurotop is simply a method of construction. Even if there was a comfort designation such as “plush” or “firm”, this would have little bearing when comparing, as these terms are not standardized within the industry, and a “plush” in one lineup can feel very similar to a “cushion firm” in another (even from the same company). If you’re attempting to find something similar, your own personal perception of the comfort of the mattress will be the best guide when attempting to find other products of a similar feel, of course seeking out the best quality materials possible for your budget. The product you have generally uses lower-density polyurethane foams, and there is a considerable amount of “posture pad” and fiber batting / FR barrier. I don’t doubt that adding all of the extra plush material on top of something that is already using lower density material has made it worse. The best thing to do would be to seek out a line of products using better quality materials, and then attempt to pick through those offerings to find a comfort that works best for you and your sleeping posture.

I hope that helps!

I definitely do not want the same mattress. It keeps me awake tossing and turning all night. I am looking to a latex hybrid but wanted to make sure that what I get is nothing like what I have now.

I doubt that would equivalent to our hybrid but I would need to know the exact construction to determine if it’s similar.

I need some help deciding between 2 mattresses , the Avocado Green and the Sleep on Latex medium.
First some info about us. I am a 5’0’‘, 115 lb stomach sleeper and my husband is 6’3’', 230 lb side sleeper and occasional back sleeper.
We were almost sure that we want the SOL, when the consumer reports published their reviews and now I am conflicted. My husband doesn’t like being warm at night and SOL tends to run warm from what CR said. Also is not as good as the Avocado Green for large side sleepers but is better at stabilization and is cheaper (we want a king, and if we choose the pillow top for Avocado Green that makes it about $800 more expensive than SOL) . And there is no data for either of them for stomach sleepers.

Hi marioana.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Even though the final decision is not always easy to make the good news is that you are looking at two mattresses with no lower quality materials or “weak links” in their design and usually if there are no clear winners between them it is usually a good indicator that you’ve done some very good research. Both your finalists have a 100-night sleep trial with free shipping and returns so you have options if something is not to your liking.

The Avocado Green Mattress uses 100% NR Dunlop Latex and a 3 zone pocketed innerspring and has been mentioned a few times previously here on the forum. Sleep on Latex is one of the Trusted Members of this site and you can also search our forum and read the many posts and comments about them.

For your stomach sleeping position, you may wish to review the guidelines in this [url=Your sleeping style, preferences, and statistics - Your sleep positions - The Mattress Underground] Sleep Positions Article [url] so that you avoid hyperextension in a swayback position that can cause back issues. Both the AG and the 9" Pure Green mattress medium version could be a good fit for your husband as he is a combo sleeper (spending time primarily on his side and occasionally his back) but because you are a prone sleeper you would need a surface that is firmer and less forgiving. As you noticed, the only possible “customization” for AG, would be adding the softer pillow top but with adding it you may lose the support that you need to keep your spine in proper alignment, on top of adding $500 to the cost. Because Pure Green is a component style system you have many options to get the right softness/firmness for your needs. Additionally with PG, if any fine-tuning is necessary you can also add a topper 1" to 3" depending on your need and preferences and for a better price point.
In terms of specs this is what you are looking at for each of the mattresses you are considering:

AG standard 11’ mattress uses:

[indent]2" of 75 kg/m3 / 20-25 ILD, medium Dunlop comfort layer
1" of 85 kg/m3 / 26-31, medium-firm Dunlop (under the innerspring unit).
8" 3 zone Leggett & Platt Quantum Edge Combi-Zone pocketed innerspring unit.
Ag pillow-top 13" version adds 2" of 65kg/m3 / 14-19 ILD, soft Dunlop latex.[/indent]

Sleep on Latex’s 9" Pure Green mattress medium version uses

[indent]2" 20 ILD (of 4 lb/ft3) Dunlop top comfort layer
6" 30 ILD (of 4.9 lb/ft3) Dunlop support layer[/indent]
And the 9" PG Firm Version

[indent]2" 30 ILD Dunlop top comfort layer
6" 44 ILD Dunlop support layer[/indent]

In very general terms … the layers and components of a sleeping system that are closer to your skin will have a bigger effect on airflow and temperature regulation than layers and components that are further away from your skin and softer mattresses will tend to be more “insulating” and for some people can sleep warmer than firmer mattresses and how they compare would also depend slightly on the order of the layers and components

Both mattresses you are considering have wool in their covers and wool has excellent characteristics in being temperature neutral. PG has 1" of quilted wool in their cover and AG has a very thin layer of wool (something like 2 oz per square foot.) in their cover so you would feel more the temperature effects of the layer underneath. Wool has a structure that has a more porous inner core which can absorb large amounts of moisture without the moisture coming into contact with the skin. This moisture which is held inside the wool fiber itself can then evaporate in a more gradual process which helps to regulate temperature much better. Breathability (airflow) creates a drier microclimate and encourages evaporation as long as the material isn’t saturated with moisture against the skin. Wool can be both insulating by trapping air and warming and allow evaporation which is the reason it does such a great job of regulating temperature in both directions. It can also hold moisture in the inner core before the moisture comes into contact with the body while other fibers become soaked right through the fiber.

Both mattresses you are considering have Latex as the uppermost layer (closest to your skin) Latex, in general, is also the most breathable and “temperature neutral” of all the different types of foam materials but the firmness of a mattress and how much you sink into it can also affect sleeping temperature as well. (Firmer this will prevent you from sinking in retaining as much heat.)

The pocket coil core is a little further away, but it is one of the most breathable types of cores… followed by latex, but it would be unlikely that most people would have any temperature regulation issues on either of the mattresses you are considering.

Generally speaking the more airflow there is around the body … the better the temperature regulation of the upper layers of the mattress (including your sheets and bedding).

I look forward to hearing about your eventual decision.

Phoenix

I will give my two cents, as I recently ordered a Sleep On Latex mattress online and have slept on it for about a week now.
The mattress I got is the 9-inch twin bed size, medium firmness. For some years, I had been sleeping on a cotton futon mat that was very firm. I was hesitent to buy anything but a firm mattress to replace it. However, the customer service representative at Sleep on Latex gave me the definite impression that most people who are not stomach sleepers would prefer the medium firmess mattress. I sometimes sleep on my back, sometimes on my side, so I decided to take the rep’s suggestion. As you probably know, the Sleep on Latex 9-inch mattress has a 6-inch Dunlop latex support core layer topped by a softer 2-inch Dunlop latex comfort layer. According to the Sleep on Latex representative, the medium mattress measures a density of 80 overall, while the firm measures 91.25.
The mattress arrived at my home just two or three days after I ordered it. I appreciated not having to do any assembly or building of the mattress layers whatsoever. All I had to do was cut the plastic wrapping, and the mattress sprang into place. The first impression when I lay on the mattress was that it was softer than what I was used to; maybe I should have bought the firm one. But after the first night of sleep, and even more so now after a few more nights on it, I am sure the medium was the right choice. The mattress feels neutral, neither distinctly soft and cushy, nor distinctly solid or hard. It is just there. It is comfortable, and it conforms to, and supports, my back very well. What I have noticed is that I am sleeping through the night more on my back, and less on my side, than I used to on the futon. I am not waking up as much during the night. A hot-sleeping mattress, whenever I encounter one on my travels, bothers me. Fortunately, the Sleep On Latex mattress is not one of those. It also does not feel particularly cool. Again, the word I would use is neutral.
To sum up in a sentence, I am very happy with the mattress I got. I realize that you are choosing a mattress for two sleepers who sleep differently. That’s a bigger challenge than I faced, so best of luck to you.

Hi sleeper007,

Thanks for the great feedback and for taking the time to share your experiences with Sleep On Latex, and your new mattress.

Most of all … congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

You certainly made a good quality/value choice from one of the manufacturing Trusted Members of this site and like all the members here I think very highly of and consider them to be among the “best of the best” in the industry.

I’m looking forward to your feedback when you’ve had the chance to sleep on it for a while longer

Phoenix

Hey,
I got Cal King Mattress
If you want to have a very restful sleep and wake-up extremely rested, then Sleep Master Ultima Comfort Memory foam Cal King Mattress. The mattress is CertiPUR-US approved for content, durability, and performance and is available in King, Twin, Queen and Full sizes. In addition, it requires at least 48 hours only to return to its original plush shape and size.

I still don’t know how to create a new post so I’ll just post here. I finally took the plunge (after obsessing for over 6 months)
and ordered the Ultimate Hybrid from Arizona Mattresses /Mattresses.net. Now I wait. I am nervous about it but figured I can’t get worse than my current crappy spring mattress and I can always adjust the firmness. I will post an update after I get it. If I can find this post again lol

Hi Jill71rdh.

You did well with both reaching out to our expert members and appending your comment to an existing topic. For those asking the same question, I posted a sticky which explains this.

Congratulations on your new mattress purchase :cheer:

Most consumers that come here and wish to make an informed purchase go through a bit (or … 6 months :ohmy: :slight_smile: ) of “information overload” and “paralysis by analysis” unless they have a great deal of knowledge and experience with different types of mattress materials and specs and different layering combinations and how they combine together and can translate them into their own “real life” experience that can be unique to them. It finally comes to the point when one is better served by taking “the plunge” and relying upon the advice of a manufacturer/retailer that is knowledgeable and has consumers’ best interest at heart.

You’ve certainly made a good quality/value choice from Arizona Premium, our Trusted Members here and I am glad that you used Ken’s expert advice in making your selection.

I’m looking forward to any updates you may have one you’ve had the chance to sleep on it.

Poenix

I want to express my gratitude to the administration of this site and to everyone who wrote in this thread.
This information was also useful to me as a novice.When choosing a king mattress for self.
Thank you again.

Jill, I wondered what topper you chose to go on top of the innersprings in your Arizona Premium ultimate hybrid?

And I’m looking forward to hearing how you like it.

I am thinking of getting one for myself, and I cannot decided upon Talalay or Dunlop, in soft, medium, or firm.

Hi SnoozyDoodle

It seems that you are making some progress with your DIY. :slight_smile:

It is good to remember that the topper/ mattress combination that is best for each person is still a matter of preference and what works best for their individual needs and preferences in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). Dunlop latex tends to have a slightly firmer feel to it than Talalay of the same ILD, and Talalay tends to be a bit “bouncier” than Dunlop so again this would be a matter of what you like best. Even though Jill71rdh’s input might give you some hints it is still necessary for you to determine which material and firmness choice is good for you based on feel and personal experience.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

I understand what you are saying about PPP being an individual thing. I wish that I weren’t so far away from Arizona Premium Mattress because I would love to go in and try out the different toppers and mattresses. But I live in NY so that’s not really an option. I wish there were some business that was set up similarly that was closer to me but I have not been able to find one on Long Island or in the New York Metro area. Even parts of Connecticut, or New Jersey might be doable. Actually anything in the northeast that is drivable might be an option! If you know of any, please let me know.

I do think I like the feel of innerspring better than foam core, but I really don’t know if I’d like Dunlop or Talalay for comfort layer.
I will call APM at some point and have a chat to see what their thoughts and recommendations would be.

Thank you for your reply Phoenix,

Lee

Hi SnoozyDoodle/Lee.

The better options or possibilities that I’ve researched in the past in and around the Long Island area (subject to the guidelines here ) are listed in post #4 here which also includes a link to the New York City list as well. Keep in mind that this is not and updated listing as I have discontinued the provision of listings of potential retailers in various geographic regions (unless they are a vetted member here of the site.), because of the difficulty in maintaining such lists in a retail landscape that is constantly changing, and most importantly the confusion it was creating with the consumer members who incorrectly assumed that these businesses had indeed gone through the strict qualification process and were approved as members of The Mattress Underground. Such an assumption was unfair to both the consumers seeking assistance, as well as the very businesses and manufacturers who have indeed qualified the be members of The Mattress Underground.

To further narrow in on certain areas, you can perform a forum search here and you can type in the “key term” text box any city or area you would be closer to and consider driving such as Connecticut or New Jersey (or other towns) or any other area and see what other businesses have been discussed in that region which may be helpful to you.

Your plan sounds good and I would make sure to drive to any shop in your local area that carries different brands and types of mattresses that carry latex and all latex mattresses (both Dunlop and Talalay) to test the feel of each and see what you like best If you find something that you like you can discuss this with APM … Ken and Vinny are very knowledgeable and great at approximating mattresses and even if you end up purchasing different components from different suppliers, they’ll be able to point you in the right direction.

Phoenix

For some reason i can’t seem to start a new topic, so ill post a quick question here.

Im doing DIY mattress building with my extra firm spring core. I cut the quilt layer off at the top to get to the springs and just stacked latex on top. My issue is that the “interfacing” or “utility” fabric (not sure what to call it) just above the springs is ripped open and id like to replace it.

Do you know what kind of fabric that is? and where i might find any like it?

I found this on joann fabrics:

Hi guys,

I have a question about sleeponlatex mattresses and toppers. Are they all natural latex? I mean no fillers or synthetic? Thats what it says on their web site, however why ILD is not in a range (like it normally would if it’s 100% all natural latex, but instead just one number??
Another question, does any one know who is the manufacturer for their mattresses and toppers? They say they manufactured in sri lanka, could it be latex green?

Thanks a lot.

Thanks

Hi lkirik2000.

It seem that you have quite some fun with your DIY.

This is what SOL lists on their site: “All of our products contain 100% natural latex foam. We never sell any products with synthetic latex, fillers or fire retardants.” This is part of their vision and environmenal awarness and you can read more about this here. I have no reason to believe that this in any way inaccurate and of course if there was one then they would not be a Trusted Member of the site. From the many conversations I’ve had with them I know that they do not take shortcuts and they are very honest ad open in all their dealings,

The question about ILD may have a bit more complex answer than you hoped. ILD in latex is usually measured with a 6" thick layer of foam and it’s basically the weight that it takes to compress a 50 sq in round metal foot into the foam by 25% (which would be 1.5"). Some latex manufacturers also produce cores that are a different thickness which would also produce a different ILD rating compared to testing ILD on a 6" core. There are also different testing protocols for ILD so in some cases the ILD would be tested at 40% compression instead of 25% compression which would also produce a different result.

Different materials including latex have a variance across the surface of the 6" core so in one place it may be say 24 ILD and in another part of the core it may be 22 or 26. The ILD rating is usually an average of the range across the surface. Blended talalay has less variance (=/-2 or so) than Dunlop which may vary by more (+/-4 or so). 100% natural Talalay can have a larger variance than blended Talalay.

In addition to this … the latex particles in Dunlop settle more in manufacturing so a 3" Dunlop layer that is cut from the bottom half of a 6" Dunlop core can be firmer than a 3" layer cut from the top half and the top would be softer than the bottom of the layer while with Talalay it’s more consistent from top to bottom so it doesn’t matter as much which part of the core a thinner layer was cut from. All the layers cut from a single core will be rated the same even though they may not have exactly the same ILD.

While knowing the specs that can affect the quality and durability of the layers and components in a mattress is always important, I’ll always caution that unless you have a great deal of knowledge and experience with different types of mattress materials and components and their specs and different layering combinations and mattress designs and how they combine together and can translate them into your own “real life” experience that can be unique to you (which would generally be a very small percentage of people), I would tend to avoid using complex combinations of specifications to try and predict how a mattress will feel or perform for you. When you try and choose a mattress based on complex combinations of specs that you may not fully understand or only based on specs for single layers or components that may not be as relevant or meaningful as you believe they are then the most common outcome is “information overload” and “paralysis by analysis”.

SOL manufactures their mattresses and toppers at their factory in Chicago, IL, and while I can confirm that the foam is produced in Sri Lanka, I would not venture to say who their foam supplier is … if they did not list this on their site it might be something they wish to keep to themselves. I am not sure if they wish to share this info with the general public, but I recommend you give them a call and ask them directly,

I hope this helps your DIY quest.

Phoenix