Help with mattress selection next-steps

Hello,

I have been reading this website for the past few months and have found it very helpful. I am a 25 y.o. and suffer from lower back pain and soreness on my obliques, which I believe is from my terrible sagging mattress. I’m a side sleeper and back sleeper. With just reading the articles, I thought I would be most interested in a 100% latex mattress since latex lasts long and doesn’t have the toxic fumes.

Recently, I decided to take a first step and went to Lake Mattress in Mooresville and tried out some of their mattresses. I tried their 100% latex mattress (2" soft talalay, 2" in medium talalay, 6" firm), but I left favoring a mattress with the following components: 3" talalay 24IFD, 3" soy transition foam (2423) , 3.25" in soy base foam (2436, not really sure what these numbers mean but the salesperson told me they measured the density). This mattress seemed firmer and provided better support for my back and is also $800 cheaper than the all-latex if I purchase a queen.

I have also looked at Rocky Mtn Mattress, however, their selection and features overwhelm me, namely their use of Bayer terminology. I feel like I could purchase the one I favored at Lake Mattress and be happy, but at the same time, I don’t want to miss a better mattress or a better value by seeing the world more. Do you have any recommendations on what other factors or places I should be considering?

Thank you so much!

EDIT: I live in Greensboro, NC.

Hi justatypicalfool,

The first two numbers are the density of the polyfoam (2.4 lb which is good quality polyfoam) and the last two numbers are the IFD which is the firmness level of the layer and similar to ILD in latex (although they are not directly comparable). While latex is a great material … different designs and layer combinations are part of what makes a mattress more or less suitable for each person in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). If objective and careful testing indicates that a particular design isn’t suitable for your needs and preferences, then no matter what material is used or its quality and value, it would have little value to you. I would certainly choose a good quality latex/polyfoam hybrid over an all latex mattress that wasn’t the most suitable design for me.

I would talk to them on the phone to “demystify” their options and terminology and let them know what you have tested and preferred so you can make meaningful comparisons. Phone conversations (or face to face conversations in person) are always one of the most important parts of making informed choices.

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Greensboro / High Point area are listed in post #2 here.

It’s always great when you have at least one good quality / value mattress that is suitable for you as a reference point to compare others against and your “worst case” is already a good choice :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Thanks so much for your feedback! I hope to take a look at these places and give Rocky Mtn a phone call in the coming weeks.