Help with memory foam mattress purchase in Vancouver

Hello Phoenix

I came across your site while reading up on reviews on the Sealy Optimum Cava from Sleep Country which I put a refundable deposit on during a “sale” but now I’m having second thoughts as it appears I’m not getting fair value for it.

I’ve read through your site and it seems that the more I know, the more confused I get and the more weary I am about being stuck with the wrong one. One thing I do know is that I’m looking at memory foam with the cooling gel with a plush feel. My current options are:

1. Primo International Fresh Breeze - only found a blip about it through your mattress forums but it isn’t a good one. It felt comfortable for the first 10 minutes. $700

2. Obus Forme Parisa - I can’t find too many reviews on Obus Forme beds but the fact that it’s from Costco offers some solace. Unfortunately, I can’t test it. $1150

3. Sealy Optimum Cava from Sleep Country $800. I’ll definitely be going back to thoroughly inquire about the warranty and guaranty promises as it doesn’t seem as easy as one would assume. However, it was comfortable for the 10 minutes I was on it.

I dislike that my mattress buying decision seems to be contingent on which company can bail me out if I pick the wrong one, rather than picking the right one from the get-go. So now I come to you for your honest opinion on whether any of the 3 are good or if I should start my search elsewhere.

If so, I’m interested to know if you recommend any particular suppliers/stores in Vancouver, BC. Thanks.

I am in the same boat as you… I put a deposit down on an optimum elation but becuase I have read so many negative things about the warranty claims it is making me shy away.

Hi vantom,

The first place I would start with your mattress research is post #1 here which includes the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choices. It will also help you avoid the worst choices such as major brands, mattresses which include lower quality materials, or mattresses where you aren’t able to find out the quality of all the layers and materials in the mattress. None of the mattresses you linked show any quality specs and in cases like this it’s usually wise (and mostly accurate) to assume that the materials are on the low end of the quality scale. I would avoid all of the choices you linked in other words.

I would also focus much more on the quality of the materials in a mattress than I would on the name of the manufacturer. a mattress is only as good as its construction and the quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name on the label and without knowing this there is no way to make meaningful assessments of a mattress, identify any potential “weak links”, or make informed buying decisions or meaningful quality or value comparisons with other mattresses.

As you can see in post #13 here as well … I would also avoid using reviews to assess the quality or comfort of a mattress because most reviews have little meaningful information about the mattress itself or how suitable it may be for your own specific needs and preferences (although they can be helpful in assessing the merchant you are dealing with).

Once you get to step 3 in the guidelines … you have some good options or possibilities available in the Vancouver area which are listed in post #2 here.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix

Thanks for the thorough reply and the link to recommended Vancouver retailers.

Definitely a far drive for me but well worth checking out the NW Sleep outlet in Delta. Compared to Sleep Country, some of their mattresses can be as much as a 1/4 of the price!

I’ll likely purchase their latex mattress the rogue (http://www.northwestsleep.ca/Store/ProductDetails.aspx?itemID=111) set for roughly the same price as I would’ve had to pay SC for their memory gel foam mattress so I think I’m definitely getting great value. I thought memory foam was the answer for me but then I tried latex, and am glad that I can actually get high quality latex at an affordable price.

Thanks for your help!