Help with new memory foam mattress Brooklyn Bedding Cool Luxe

After tons of reading on this forum we decided to pull the trigger on new memory foam mattress from brooklyn bedding. We tested a few in stores and thought that we liked the plushness of the Tempur Cloud so we ordered the Cool Luxe 13" and simple living foundation. We were coming from a king size pillow top that was past its time and actually painful to sleep on spring pressure points and zero support left. I constantly had shoulder, back and neck pains daily. So needless to say the memory foam mattress was a very nice upgrade.

We’ve had the mattress now for 30 days. When we first slept on it, it was a dream! Loved the plushness, sinking in to be cradled and felt plenty more support then our previous old mattress provided. We had the best sleep that we’ve had in years, falling asleep quickly and waking in the morning with no aches, back cracking or shoulder popping.

Fast forward to the last few weeks. We both have a nagging ache in our center backs that just won’t go away (could be the bed or possibly stress or something else). Now when I’m in bed I feel this ache in the center right of my back and it does not feel supported. Where in the beginning I would get in bed and just melt away, it seems I have lost some of that plushness. When sleeping on my side I feel like I’m just bottoming out after a while and when I wake up like I used to in the old spring mattress. I’ve also noticed that there is less “memory” to our mattress. When you push your hand into it now it’s mostly just like pushing a regular pillow top, no more hand imprint. When we first got this mattress it was like 6 inches of fantastic memory foam plushness on top.

This is still by far better than our old mattress but not acceptable to me. Not sure if there is something wrong with our memory foam or if we purchased something that wasn’t right for us.

I miss our first few sleep nights!!

Background

Me: 5 10" 180, mostly side sleeper however also alot of stomach.

Her: 5 6" 125, mostly side and stomach

Memory foam pillows, memory foam contour pillows and regular pillows

Thoughts???

Hi clouddaze13,

[quote]We’ve had the mattress now for 30 days. When we first slept on it, it was a dream! Loved the plushness, sinking in to be cradled and felt plenty more support then our previous old mattress provided. We had the best sleep that we’ve had in years, falling asleep quickly and waking in the morning with no aches, back cracking or shoulder popping.

Fast forward to the last few weeks. We both have a nagging ache in our center backs that just won’t go away (could be the bed or possibly stress or something else). Now when I’m in bed I feel this ache in the center right of my back and it does not feel supported. Where in the beginning I would get in bed and just melt away, it seems I have lost some of that plushness. When sleeping on my side I feel like I’m just bottoming out after a while and when I wake up like I used to in the old spring mattress. I’ve also noticed that there is less “memory” to our mattress. When you push your hand into it now it’s mostly just like pushing a regular pillow top, no more hand imprint. When we first got this mattress it was like 6 inches of fantastic memory foam plushness on top.[/quote]

While I can’t know for certain of course because I can’t feel what you feel on your mattress … it sounds to me like the mattress was “on the edge” of being too soft for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) and that the initial break in period may have taken you over the edge of being too soft (see post #2 here). There are also some suggestions in post #4 here that may be helpful but if the reason for your “symptoms” is that your mattress is too soft for you and you can’t replace the layers in the mattress that are too soft with firmer layers and none of the suggestions help then there aren’t any reliable options available to firm up a mattress that is too soft other than returning or exchanging it for a mattress that is a more suitable “match” for you.

Phoenix

Is their Cool Symphony worth looking at if I have to exchange or should I move to their Latex series? Only issue that I see with the Cool Symphony is that the layers are less and the second layer is only 4lb compared to the 5lb I currently have.

I didn’t think the mattress would soften up that quickly.

Hi cloudedaze,

[quote]Is their Cool Symphony worth looking at if I have to exchange or should I move to their Latex series. Only issue that I see with the Cool Symphony is that the layers are less and the second layer is only 4lb compared to the 5lb I currently have.

I didn’t think the mattress would soften up that quickly. [/quote]

All mattresses will go through an initial break in period where the cover stretches a bit and the foam layers lose any of their “false firmness” and become a little softer but this can affect some people more than others depending on how sensitive they are or where they are inside their optimal range in terms of PPP. There is more about this in post #3 here and in post #2 here.

The Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe (or another mattress that approximates it) is among the softest of the Tempurpedic mattresses and would be too soft for many people in terms of PPP.

I don’t have any personal experience with either mattress and Brooklyn Bedding will be your best source of guidance about how the Cool Symphony compares to the Cool Luxe in terms of “feel” or PPP but the Cool Symphony would be closer to the feel and firmness of the Tempurpedic Rhapsody and would be firmer than the Cool Luxe which would be closer to the feel and firmness of the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe. Neither one has any lower quality materials or weak links in the design.

The choice between latex and memory foam would be a preference choice not so much a “better/worse” choice and some people prefer the feel and response of one material and some prefer the other. Both can certainly make good choices in a mattress that is a good “match” for you in terms of PPP. There is more about the differences between them and the pros and cons of each in post #2 here.

I’m not familiar with a “Simple Living” foundation but if you have the Simple Life foundation (as opposed to the Handy Living foundation) then it should be fine. If you have the Handy Living foundation that has flexible slats then it could certainly affect the feel or performance of your mattress. You can always test the effect of your foundation by putting your mattress on the floor to see how it changes the feel or firmness of your mattress.

Phoenix

Sorry it is the “simple life” foundation that we have.