Help with too flexible slats

One week ago, we received our new king size Iris Bloom by Urban Mattress. We loved the soft yet firm feel of this hybrid mattress. Now that we’ve tried it out for a week, we noticed it sags near if we’re too close together. When we tried it out in the Berkeley showroom, it was displayed on a box spring.
https://urbanmattress.com/product/the-iris-mattress/

We purchased at the same time a sturdy Burrows Platform Bed by EQ3 and paired it with their strongest slat system, the deluxe slats, which have a middle support beam. The deluxe slats have a center section on each side that can be adjusted from soft to firm, but they are not really placed where we need the firmness the most, near our hips and torsos. The slats are individually set in holders that rock, or rotate, independently.

What can be done to add some more firmness to the bed? Should we add something more sturdy like a bunkie board on top of the slats? Would the fact that these slats can rotate cause any problems with a bunkie board? Should we switch to another slat system entirely? I’d like to keep the platform frame if possible.

Thanks!

Hi Cynthia,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Was it displayed on an actual coil flexing active box spring? That wouldn’t normally be the case. It would usually be placed upon some sort of a foundation that does not flex (which many people refer to as a “box spring”). The difference is described in more detail in the foundation thread here.

The bowed slat system allows for more flexing and sinking. If you don’t desire this, you could delete that system and place plywood decks (running side to side) across the frame network that comes with your bed. It looks to already have an integrated head to toe center beam as well as side lips. You could also choose to go with their flat slat system instead of their bowed system, which might feel firmer to you.

Phoenix

Thanks so much for your help, Phoenix!!!

The folks at EQ3 were happy to help us with the solution you outlined, and they exchanged the slats without hesitation. We switched to their metal frame slat system and then added on top of that two side-to-side pieces of 3/4" plywood.

I can’t imagine anything more solid than that, but the mattress still sags and is terribly uncomfortable. It doesn’t feel like the one we tried when we bought it. We assume it’s defective. Turns out the Berkeley Urban Mattress store closed last week, and also because we placed the order in the store, instead of online, we can’t get a refund.

We’ll try to contact the owner of Urban Mattress for further assistance, but from my discussion with their operations manager, we might just be out $2200.

Do you have any suggestions? What is the best way to document a sagging mattress?

Hi cynthia,

I’m happy that you were able to address your slat issues and have a very sturdy system now in place. :slight_smile:

Regarding your mattress, if you purchased a new mattress from an authorized retailer, you have a 10-year warranty against defects from Urban Mattress. If your local retailer closed their doors, you still have warranty coverage from Urban Mattress. It would be the same as if you moved away after making a purchase and your mattress developed a warrantable defect - you would still have coverage.

The warranty guidelines for Urban Mattress are listed here, and at the end of that web site page is a link to filling out a warranty claim online, and also the contact address for Urban Mattress corporate in Denver.

Remember that “comfort” is not something that is covered under a warranty, but excessive sagging is (over 1" for their products). Also realize that warranties are not guarantees of refunds, but either a replacement or repair of your current product, at the discretion of the company.

I would begin by filling out the online form and explain that your local retailer is no longer open and politely request their advice and assistance, and see how that goes for you. You are able to attach photos to this online form, so you could stretch a string across the mattress and show the indent with a ruler against the strong, or place something like a yardstick across the mattress and again take a photo showing the indent with a ruler. This video, while not from Urban Mattress, gives you a good idea of how to do this.

In the past people have commented on the forum of good customers service they have received form Urban Mattress, so hopefully you can get a positive resolution to your issue.

Phoenix

Just to circle back, we were finally connected with someone at Urban Mattress who is helping us resolve the issue. He said that it may be the (uncommon) occurrence our mattress was manufactured with the wrong springs. In either case, it looks like we have a couple options to resolve the issue. Whew! What a relief.

And no matter which route we take, we’ll have an impressive sleep solution thanks to this forum. Thanks again!

Hi cynthia.

I am glad we could help! :slight_smile:

Great to hear that Urban Mattress is favorably resolving the sagging mattress issue. (I’ve heard only good comments about their customer service)

Hopefully you’ll have a chance to return here and give us an update to the solution they offered.

Phoenix