help

Hi traceym43,

Majestic Mattress has quite a few models ranging from $175 to $1070 (queen) and the lower end would likely use lower quality (and lower durability) materials than the higher end. I haven’t had the chance to talk with them so I don’t know the density of the foams they are using in their mattresses but there would probably be quite a range of quality in this price range. It would surprise me if all their models were low quality. ADDED: You can see some comments about them as the result of a conversation I had since in post #6 here.

Were your experiences with their lower end mattresses or their higher end? If the quality issue was because of lower density foams in their lower end mattresses … it may be worth looking at some of their higher end. The key to knowing the quality of a mattress is knowing the materials that are in it and hopefully … like most local manufacturers … they are open about the materials they use.

Other than them … I don’t know of any other local manufacturers in the area. BC as a whole doesn’t have a lot and most of them are in Vancouver or on the Island.

I would tend to avoid all the major brands and larger mass market outlets (department stores and larger outlets) because most of their mattresses use too much lower quality materials (low density polyfoam) or don’t disclose what they use at all. The ones that don’t use low quality materials or disclose the quality of their ingredients are almost always overpriced.

Your budget is high enough to purchase a top of the line mattress that uses very high quality materials (and is probably more than you need) but having said that … I would make sure that the materials in any mattress you are considering are of the quality that should be in a top of the line mattress.

A quick look around the area didn’t show any obvious great choices but a lot of details are missing from the websites so it would probably take a call when they open again (which I’ll do for my records and post any results here) to find out more about what they are carrying. I’m assuming you are looking for a mattress that has memory foam in it?

As a reference point for value … both of these mattresses use high quality ingredients and have a very reasonable price.

Furniture Store — Wholesale Furniture Brokers Canada May also be worth a visit to try out the Boyd gel mattresses if they have them on the floor.

More to come when I’ve had a chance to talk with some of the local outlets.

Phoenix