HELP!

Forgive me if I dont do this correctly…I am technically challanged
Ok…I found this site and was so impressed…I am looking for a COOLING mattress and have no idea where to go, or what to buy I have a memory foam now, however it holds heat like you wouldnt believe. I am unable to even sleep in it. I dont want anything hard…or super soft. I am a stomach and side sleeper. But the main thing I need is a mattress that can help with the heat…I suffer from severe hot flashes and my mattress will feel like an oven. That is why I am interested in your opinion on a cooling mattress. I was looking at the Sealy Optimum, but after reading some of your posts, was completely confused and unsure. I did NOT like the prices either.

If you can give me any advice or suggestions I would be so very appreciative. I live in Romeoville, IL 60446

Thank you,
Lisa

Hi Lisa ann,

The first step to finding what you need is to find the best manufacturers or outlets in your area. These are either factory direct manufacturers or better sleep shops that carry smaller independent or local brands. These types of outlets have the knowledge and experience to educate you about mattresses and which materials wold be most suitable for what you are looking for. They will either make or sell mattresses that use much higher quality materials at lower prices than anything you would find in a major brand or in a chain store or types of outlets you have been looking at. This article will give you some guidelines that will help you avoid most of the traps and pitfalls of mattress shopping.

In your case … you are fortunate because you have a couple of very good choices near you and one of the members of this site (and the members here were invited because I believe they have among the best quality and value in the country) is very close to you.

Post #2 here has the details.

If I was in your shoes … I would go to My Green Mattress / Quality Sleep and talk to Tim or one of his assistants and tell them what you said here and what you are looking for. They will give you great information about their mattresses and they make gel foam, latex mattresses, and others that are cooler sleeping options. They will tell you the differences between them and help you test to see which mattress that they carry will suit you best. Anything you buy there will be better value than anything even close in the brands or types of stores you have been looking at.

If you first find a manufacturer who “knows their stuff”, makes great value mattresses, and is committed to helping you make your best choices … then 90% of your work and research is done and it’s just a matter of finding the best option among what they carry. In addition to that if you tell them you are a member here they will give you an additional 5% off the cost of your mattress.

There is more about them in the forum and a search on “mygreenmattress” and "qualitysleep (you can just click the links) will bring up lots more comments and feedback.

Phoenix

We just purchased a king size sealy optimum destiny mattress a couple of weeks ago, and the first couple of nights i was actually cold when i was sleeping, but now i dont really notice it too much, it doesnt feel super hot, but it doesnt feel really cool either, also i am a side sleeper, and this mattress is so firm it actually makes my ribs sore and hurt, im going to have to buy a twin size memory foam topper for my side of the bed, which sucks cause we spent over 2000 on this.

Hi rayneandskylar,

The good news is that the foams in your new mattress will soften over the first few weeks or 90 days or so and once this has happened then foam softening will be more gradual. It can also take some time to adjust to a new sleep surface because we can develop a “body memory” from our old mattress and it can take some time for the body to adjust itself to the new surface and sleeping posture.

It may be a good idea to wait for a few weeks before deciding on a topper so that your reference point for what if anything you need takes into account the initial softening of the mattress and any adjustments you will make to the new sleeping surface.

Phoenix

Thank you so much Phoenix for all the information. I will be visiting Tim…

Regards,
Lisa