Helping me to find out a mattress that fits my need

Hi Phoenix and other knowledgable friends,

I am in the process of picking the right mattress. I just start work so that my budge is around $1,000. Could you help me with my mattress choice?

1. I need a latex comfort layer. I am quite skinny (5’11", 130 lbs) so that I think 2" thick would be enough. It could be a blended talalay one as well.

2. I would like the support layer to be pocket coil. Mainly for the reason that I don’t want disturbance to each other when we twist during the night. Another reason could be cost, though it seems not much difference if I choose a foam support layer).

For the second requirement, many of your enlisted on-line providers are out of the game as they don’t offer hybrid mattresses. My current choices are from mygreenmattress and baybed, and I am in the process of inquiries.

So, do you have any comments on my choice so far? And do anyone have other options to throw in? Thanks in advance.

Hi Xiong,

I can certainly help with “how” to choose but there are too many unknowns, variables, and individual preferences involved for anyone (including me) to be able to help with “what” to choose or predict whether any mattress design would be a good match for you based on a formula, “theory at a distance”, or specs (either yours or a mattress) that doesn’t have personal experience with a mattress you are considering. When you can’t test a mattress in person then the best source of guidance is a more detailed conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced manufacturer or retailer that has your best interests at heart and who knows more about matching their mattresses to different people than anyone else. They are in the best position to “talk you through” the options they have available that would have the highest chance of success (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

You’ve probably read it already but just in case you haven’t the mattress shopping tutorial here has all the basic information, steps, and guidance that can help you make the best possible choices … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

You are certainly looking at two high quality innerspring/latex hybrid options and they are also members here which means that I think highly of both of them and they both compete well with the best in the industry). I would make sure you have a more detailed conversation on the phone with each of them so they can give you some guidance about which of the options they have available would have the best chance of success.

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d also be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of that are local to you as well.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thanks for the reply. I am contacting both vendors.
I live in queens, New York and thanks for your recommendation of other possibilities.

Hi Xiong,

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the New York area are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thanks for your help so far. I received a quote from one of the online member retailers and am quite satisfied with it. I know it is hard to answer because that’s too subjective. But could you give a description of the feeling about the difference between a 14.5 gauge spring + medium soft and 13.5 gauge firmer spring + a softer topper? I just want more comfort while still feel supportive. Both me and my wife are skinny (less than 130 lbs) so I guess the first choice could be more safe.

Again, I don’t need you to help me decide, please just give me a description between them. Thanks.

Hi Xiong,

Unfortunately there are too many variables involved in the type and design of an innerspring (see this article and post #10 here) much less the many possible combinations of foam layers on top of the springs to be able to provide any meaningful answer to your question based only on a single spec (the gauge of the wire). The only thing that I can say with any conviction is that a 13.5 gauge single coil that is in the same type of innerspring system, has the same shape and design, number of turns, diameter, and height will be firmer than a 14.5 gauge single coil that is otherwise identical. The most reliable way to know the difference between any two mattresses “as a whole” would be your own personal testing or experience. If you aren’t able to test a mattress in person before you buy it then the “next most reliable” way to find out the differences between two mattresses would be based on a more detailed conversation with a knowledgeable manufacturer or retailer who will know more about their mattresses and how they “feel” than anyone else (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

I can certainly provide information about the quality of different materials and help you with “how” to choose and make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses (and how to find reliable information) but unfortunately I’m not the best source to provide meaningful information about the comfort/support of a mattress that I have no personal experience with and have never slept on and even if I had, my own personal sleeping experience and subjective perceptions of any mattress may be very different from yours.

Phoenix