Hi From Texas!

Just found this great site and want to say thanks to all (especially Phoenix) for the informative threads - many of which I have read in the last few days. I am in the market for an adjustable bed (single queen) and latex mattress. I have pretty much decided on the base being the Reverie Delux because of features, decent price and many good reviews, not to mention I read that Phoenix bought this very model so it has to be good!).

The mattress selection has given me much more of a fit because it is the most important component of a good night’s sleep. I have learned of the differences between foam and latex and decided on latex. I have also learned the differences of the processes involved and manufacturing and have decided to go with Dunlop. I am 64 years old, single and sleep mostly on my back (I use CPAP). I like a mattress to be a bit on the firm side but not rock hard. The mattress I am leaning towards has not been mentioned at this forum, at least not that I could find using the search. It is the 10" Bliss by Invigo. It has many features I like and which seem to be unique to Invigo. The mattress itself is 9" natural latex (Dunlop) and a 1" quilted topper. Best of all, the price is right if purchased from the Invigo website. Does anyone have any information about this mattress and/or Invigo in general?

Because I have never owned an adjustable bed or latex mattress, I have some questions that would be applicable to any mattress and adjustable base I would select and I’ll list them one by one:

1. Is a foundation necessary? Most adjustable beds are shown with a foundation and the mattress sitting on top. Or is this for “looks” only?

2. If a foundation is recommended, how does the massage feature of the base get through to the mattress? In fact, I don’t understand how the massage gets through a thick mattress in the first place, foundation or not. I guess what I’m saying is although I understand the massage feature, I don’t understand how it works.

3. Are all latex mattresses workable with an adjustable bed? I know from reading other threads that Phoenix suggests up to 10" with some mattresses even workable up to 12". If anyone is in the know, would the Invigo mattress and the Delux base be compatible?

4. Can I set up the base and mattress myself or are they too heavy? I can get the Reverie “white glove” delivery for $150 but would rather not if set up is easy and I can do it alone. I am mechanically adept and still fairly strong but not a young man after all.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can answer my questions.

Well, during the past few hours I found a list of forum sponsors and one in particular caught my eye - Sleep Ez factory in Arizona. They offer a nice base in the Ergomotion w/massage and what appears to be a quality mattress in their 10" natural latex. Although a bit more expensive than the Invigo the adjustable firmness is a nice feature, plus members here get a 5% discount. Can anyone attest to these products?

Hi milacqua,

I talked with Mark DeCourcy and spent about an hour on the phone with him talking about his different mattress lines, the differences between them, and more general information about his company as well. He was very informative, open, and transparent and I was quite impressed with the information he provided.

The Invigo is made by DeCourcy and Company which has 3 different lines of latex and latex hybrid mattresses.

The Hevea Grove line and their Linen collection uses higher quality natural latex and has higher quality covers as well. They are also sold as a “boutique” line with higher margins through a group of more exclusive retailers.

Their Invigo line includes both latex/polyfoam hybrids and all latex mattresses and is sold through many online retailers such as Amazon and Overstock and Wayfair (among others listed at the bottom of the page here]) but the prices if you buy directly from them are slightly better (at least for the moment as this may be changing). Their own website for the Invigo has been up for about 4 months now. This line uses blended latex and a spun polyester cover all of which are lower cost materials than their other two lines and because these are sold direct they also have lower margins.

Like all online purchases it would be important to me to make sure that you are buying a mattress that is suitable for your body type and sleeping style and your confidence in making a suitable choice and your recourse if you make the wrong choice may also be an important part of any online purchase (which would also mean that I would lean towards purchasing from them directly because they would know more about their own mattresses and which would be most suitable for different people than most of the retailers that sell them) but having said that they are very good value for those who are looking for a basic blended Dunlop latex or hybrid mattress where natural latex or higher quality cover materials and quilting are not as important.

On to your other questions …

As you can see in the foundation thread here … an all latex mattress does best on a support surface that if non flexing and rigid and has slats in it that are about 3" or less apart. For a latex hybrid mattress that uses polyfoam in the base … then a support surface where the gaps are wider apart is OK as well because polyfoam is not as elastic as latex and won’t sink into the larger gaps as easily. Overall … it’s usually best to check with a manufacturer themselves to make sure that the support surface or foundation you are using meets their warranty criteria. The support surface could be a foundation, a platform bed with slats, or an adjustable bed.

I have never seen a picture of an adjustable bed that has a foundation on it because it would interfere with the movement of the adjustable bed and you wouldn’t be able to elevate it. Adjustable beds are designed to have a mattress directly on the adjustable bed’s surface itself. In general it’s preferable to have a slatted more breathable surface underneath a mattress but for those that have a compelling reason to use a solid surface that is less breathable such as an adjustable bed (and I also use my a latex mattress on an adjustable bed) then the “tradeoff” for a solid support surface without slats would be well worth it.

Again … it wouldn’t be possible to use a foundation on an adjustable bed which goes directly on the adjustable bed itself. The massage itself is more of a “vibration” and it is certainly can be felt through the mattress. I wouldn’t actually call it a massage as much as a “vibration” although there are also different settings that change its strength and pattern. It’s quite pleasant but it’s not the same as a real life massage or even one of the massage chairs that have a more “kneading” feel to them.

It’s normally best to check directly with a manufacturer to make sure that their specific design and materials work well on an adjustable bed and that it meets the warranty criteria but in most cases a latex mattress or any foam mattress would be fine yes. My own latex mattress is 12" and it conforms very well to the adjustable bed.

They are both very heavy and I would strongly suggest 2 people to set up both. You may be able to manage it with only one but it would take some real strength and care and wouldn’t be easy IMO.

SleepEz is a member here which means I believe they are among the best quality/value in the country. A forum search on SleepEz ()you can just click this) will bring up many posts with comments and feedback from members about them.

Phoenix

As usual, a very timely and excellent response - thanks! I guess I was looking at the frames with mattresses already on them and assumed those were the foundations. That would not work on an adjustable bed, as you pointed out.

As my quest continues and I go to the “underground” thread to find more and more retailers and manufacturers listed that I did not even know about before, I find more information to consider. For example, I have found where L&P has a new designer series that seems fairly attractive, especially since I do not have a frame. I’ve also learned the S-cape is a fine base but to be careful because most stores sell the DC motor rated at 450lbs whereas some internet stores use the more powerful AC motor, which is rated at 600lbs. The more recent designer series is actually an S-cape with 600lb capability. So, even more stuff to consider.

I want to thank you for checking on Invigo. They may have a good entry level product from what I gather but I am certain I can do better than that and can afford a little better quality. I will be going to town next week and will check out a few stores, although I am certain I will buy on-line. Oh, and I think you are correct - better to have a white glove service than try this myself - I have a bad back already!!!

Hi milacqua,

I should have mentioned as well that there may be some good options that are close to you and if you let me know the city or zip where you live I’d be happy to link you to some of the better options or possibilities in your area I’m aware of.

Just in case … Dallas is listed in post #4 here and Austin and San Antonio are listed in post #2 here and Houston is in post #2 here which may give you places to either do some testing or in some cases the value may justify a purchase as well.

In most cases the DC motors are quieter but not as strong as the AC motors.

The weight ratings for Ergomotion are here (click the question about weight limits) and weight ratings for Reverie are here. When I questioned Reverie about their weight limits … they they told me the information is not correct and would honor a higher weight limit. They also sent me an “official” email with a higher weight limit which you can see in post #3 here although that was over a year and a half ago and they don’t seem to have changed their literature since then so you may want to check with them.

Phoenix

Thanks again Phoenix. Nothing is close to me (my zip is 75765). I am over 100 miles from Dallas but a couple of small cities such as Longview and Tyler are 40 miles away and should have some selections to look at (the L&P S-cape is one I can find fairly easily). The links you gave for the Dallas area are great and although I seldom get to the “big” city I will make a point to stop by one or two and take a look. Thank you for one of the most informative subject specific sites on the net. If they were all like this people would be more knowledgeable and able to make better buying decisions.

Hi milacqua,

Post #2 here has a few options or possibilities around the Tyler area that may be helpful.

Phoenix

Thank you for the link - that was a thread about Tyler that I missed. I will be sure to check some of those stores next week.