hi im new and i need help

my name is brantley and I live in brooklyn new York and I was referred to this wonderful site by jeff scheuer(mattress to go) great guy and he told me to introduce myself and beg for help lol I live in new york like I said before and I need some good retailers in new york that’s trustworthy(unlike sleepys,macys etc) help?? and is there any Quality Sleep Shops in new york lol

Hi biggnutts4life,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

The first place I would start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress that is the best “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for that are involved in each of them and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability, durability, and value.

When you reach step 3 of the tutorial and you are ready to start researching manufacturers and retailers to visit to test different types of mattresses then the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the New York City area (subject to the quality/value guidelines I linked) are listed in post #2 here.

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding … and of course any comments or questions you may have along the way.

Phoenix

Hi, I am new. We need to find a mattress and box spring that is completely free of toxic chemicals. We thought we did enough research, purchased one without knowing much and had to send it back. Our 39-year-old daughter lives with my husband and me. She has severe multiple chemical sensitivities and is being tested for porphyria. I still need to read the tutorial thoroughly, but can you point me in the right direction for which companies would have chemical free mattresses. We got rid of the couch my husband had been sleeping on when the new mattress arrived, and now that we’ve returned the mattress, he is sleeping on another couch but it is very uncomfortable. We live in central New Jersey. Thank you

Hi JMHK,

I switched your post to a new topic of its own so our conversation doesn’t get mixed in with another member’s topic and questions.

The first step in finding a “safe” or chemical free" mattress would be to decide on the specific types of materials that you would be comfortable with having in her mattress. There is more information in post #2 here and the more detailed posts and information it links to about safe, natural, organic, “chemical free”, and “green” mattresses and mattress materials that can help you sort through some of the marketing information and terminology that you will encounter in the industry and can help you differentiate between them and answer “how safe is safe enough for me” or “how natural is natural enough for me” so you can decide on the types of materials you are most comfortable having in your mattress so you can focus on the materials in a mattress rather than the name of a manufacturer that makes it. These types of issues can be complex and are generally specific to each person and their individual sensitivities, circumstances, criteria, beliefs, and lifestyle choices.

I’m not sure where you are in central New Jersey but post #7 here includes the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the region around Monroe Township (subject to the quality/value guidelines here). If none of these are close to you then if you can let me know your city or zip code I can link you to the forum list that is closest to you.

If you are also open to an online purchase then the tutorial also includes a link to a list of the members here that sell mattresses online (in the optional online step) and many of these also sell mattresses that by most people’s definition would be considered to be “chemical free” and use “safe” or natural or in some cases organic materials.

Phoenix