High Density Memory Foam Mattress

Hi all, looking to get thoughts/advice on our options for purchasing a new bed. We currently have a Tempurpedic Rhapsody that we got 5 years ago and like a lot. We’re looking to get a 2nd bed and eventually replace our Tempurpedic. Here’s what we’re looking for:

Must be memory foam in the top layer(s), we don’t like the feel of latex.

Must be high density; we’ve tried many different types of memory foam and we respond to the high density ones the best and why we went with Rhapsody. Assuming 7 or 8 is as high as it goes. We like the melty, quicksand feel, and we don’t sleep hot.

Prefer to be CertiPur. I’m very sensitive to off-gassing and would prefer to get something that we don’t have to air out for a month.

Prefer to buy from a vendor that has great customer service.

Cost is not a huge issue, as long as it’s not overpriced in the Tempurpedic range (our queen Rhapsody was $3k). Looking for value, not to go cheap. Looking for something in the $1.5k range, with a $2k top limit for a queen.

I’ve read through some of the threads on here and elsewhere, and it seems like my two options are Christeli (conflicting info on their website on the density of their foam) and SelectFoam (not CertiPur). Am I missing any others?

Thanks!

Hi Gozoogle,

The tutorial post includes this link to a list of the better online memory foam options I’m aware of but if 7 - 8 lb memory foam (at least in a relatively thin top layer) is an important criteria then those are the two that include it (NOTE: Christeli is now using 6 lb memory foam … see post #5 later in this topic).

Select Foam isn’t CertiPUR certified as a mattress manufacturer but the foams they use are made in North America by a CertiPUR certified foam manufacturer.

Atlantic Beds here also has some mattresses that use US made 8 lb memory foam as well

Phoenix

NOTE ADDED: Because of ongoing customer service issues and delays Select Foam’s membership has been terminated and I would read the warning here before considering them.

Thanks for the help. Just thought you might want to know, I emailed Park Place and they don’t supply Christeli.

“Many of our products contain various amount of memory foam. We don’t have any that have 7 or 8LB memory foam. Highest density is 4lb. We sell only to retailers and generally not direct unless the consumer is outside of our normal dealer network. We service a limited number of Atlantic Bedding Group stores but not all of them. We do not sell the others mentioned.”

Hi Gozoogle,

I’m not so sure that this is correct (see this page on the Christeli site).

They don’t sell the Christeli mattresses but I believe they do make them.

Phoenix

Hi Gozoogle,

I thought I would add an update to this topic.

I have since talked with Christeli and they have recently started making their own mattresses at a separate manufacturing facility that is a little way down the road from Park Place so you are correct … Park Place no longer makes them although they still have a close relationship with Park Place (and they also told me that they would correct some of the older pages on their site that talked about manufacturing mattresses since 1931).

They are also now using 6 lb memory foam instead of 8 lb.

Phoenix

The Original Mattress Factory uses 8 lb and 5 lb memory foam in their memory foam bed. Here are the specs I got when I looked there:

OMF Serenity 10 1/2":

1 1/2" High Density Memory Foam Topper ~ 10-16 ILD, 8 lb/ft Density
Air-Flow Layer
2 1/2" High Density Memory Foam Topper ~ 8-14 ILD, 5 lb/ft Density
6" High Density Foam Core - 28-32 ILD, 2.25 lb

Hi a2dox,

Thanks for the reminder that the OMF Serenity models also use higher density 8 lb memory foam.

While they aren’t available in all areas of the country … for those that are close enough to an OMF store they can certainly be a great quality/value choice.

The Sleep Science Escape here also uses 7 lb memory foam although it’s not CertiPUR certified or made in North America (there are some comments about it in post #2 here and post #2 here).

Phoenix