Hip pain & shoulder pain

I am 65 yrs old, 150 lb, 5’4, and had an Ultimate dreams bed for 5 yrs, the last 3 yrs I developed hip/shoulder pain / leg cramps. I am a side sleeper with some back. I recently tried Sleep EZ 10 inch talalay S/M/F, same symptoms, exchanged Med for soft, the same. Sent it back. Tried a Flexus comfort latex & coils. Worse symptoms. Sent it back. I don’t know what to try next. Memory foam? I am getting desperate. Lack of sleep is getting to me. Thanks for any help.

Hi Mbrand,

I’m sorry to hear that you’ve developed shoulder and hip pain and leg cramps over the past three years. :frowning:

Unfortunately, I can’t diagnose via an online forum the reasoning for your issues or whether or not they are related or exacerbated by your mattress, as there are entirely too many personal considerations involved, including, but not limited to, your personal sensitivities, strength, flexibility, preferences, overall health, changing comfort preferences, and so on. However, I can provide some general information that may be helpful to you.

You don’t mention what style of Ultimate Dreams mattress you had five years ago, but you changed to what was ultimately a quite soft latex set up, and then a coil/latex combination (you didn’t mention to softness of the latex on the system), and you still were experiencing your same issues.

There is some information about the many different symptoms that people may experience on a mattress and some of the most common causes behind them in post #2 here that may be helpful. You’re describing three different things, and there’s no way for me to determine if the mattress is the issue. Usually when someone complains about pressure points it’s a common sign that the comfort layers of the mattress are not adequate in plushness or amount. You did try a very plush all latex configuration, but perhaps you’d desire something even softer with a less supportive upper plush surface like something using memory foam that you mentioned.

As for cramps, this would be more common in the low back if someone had poor alignment and the muscles were having to maintain micro-contractions through the night and one was becoming fatigued. As for cramps in the leg, I don’t know that this is necessarily the result of a mattress and could also be more related to your personal diet/strength/flexibility. Quite often the reason for craps is unknown, but they can be related to muscle fatigue or holding a position for a longer period of time, dehydration, poor diet, or lack of blood supply. It can happen when people reposition less during the night (when they’re actually sleeping quite soundly) that blood supply in the capillaries is limited and this can cause a cramping sensation. Cramps can also be the result of other underlying health issues and increased sensitives with age. So unfortunately there is no real answer I can provide.

Your thought of trying out something using memory foam might be a good idea just to see if having a bit more of a less-resistive plush surface comfort (but something that still has good deep support for alignment) might work for you.

I know this is a more general answer, but unfortunately in such situations that’s about the best I can offer. I hope that information is helpful to you.

Phoenix