His/Hers Custom Talalay Mattress in NY

Several years back I had the good fortune to speak with Bob Zukowski of Truly Adjustable (most recently owner of Custom Sleep Design). I had just purchased a Sealy Posturepedic, that after only 6 months, had ruts in it from our bodies laying in the same spot. I ordered around a dozen of his talalay pillows (some for friends, two for my parents, 3 for us, etc.) Everyone was thrilled with the quality! My daughter’s inner-spring mattress was just too hard for her, so I purchased a talalay topper for her bed in 28 ILD (medium), which is pretty firm on top of her firm mattress. At that time, I spoke with him about the benefits of a custom talalay bed. I was angry I had just spent $3000 for a bed that was already decomposing, but couldn’t see tossing it at only 6 months old, even though I was waking up in the middle of the night with back spasms from a herniated disk injury 15 years earlier.

Fast forward 4 years later, and I just had back surgery for 3 herniated disks in 4 different areas; one exploded so forcefully, it hit my spinal cord and pieces broke off and fell down to the next disk level! After having a laminectomy, discectomy, and extruded fragment removal, I am still left with 3 herniations, arthritis, degenerative disk disease and spinal stenosis. Right now I am sleeping on an Ikea foam bed, which although a bit TOO firm,but is a lot better than that piece of junk Posturepedic! In that bed, I feel like the entire body area, concaves in, and does NOT provide the support that I need in my waist area AT ALL!!

With my injuries, I decided to contact Bob Zukowski and buy that custom talalay bed – but now I see his company is not viable, and may never be! What a shame!! The man was seriously educated in the field, and used to be an executive at Latex International, if I remember correctly (they were the ones I got his name from originally). Anyway, I am now looking for a company to buy my custom bed from. I am looking for:

• a system where there are several layers of different densities (ILD) of talalay, and would also be split layers, so I can have my custom feel, and my husband can have the softness/firmness that he needs.

• ability to exchange layers for different density if necessary

• high quality 100% talalay on all layers

I would like my husband to try a talalay bed, so I can order from an online retailer (if necessary, since there don’t seem to be many retailers in this area) – can you refer me to a retailer either in Queens, Nassau, Suffolk or Westchester counties? I did check out the links provided for Manhattan, but don’t think they’ll be a comparable product. I did see there was a “HC” company is Mt. Kisco that wouldn’t be TOO far away, or a Pure Bliss retailer in Massapequa. Would that be a good item to test for talalay comfort?

So far, I seem to be leaning toward purchasing my mattress at sleepez.com. What other websites/retailers would offer a similar, multi-level layering system? BTW, should I purchase the 9" (3 layers of different densities) or the 12"? What is the benefits of having that extra layer of talalay?

Also, I am VERY curvy (hourglass figure), 5’7" and 145 lbs. I need the mattress soft enough for my hips to sink in, yet give my waist the support to keep my spine straight. I mainly sleep now on my side (what a change from my previous stomach sleeping position!)What is the best layering for my situation? My husband is 5’4" and about 185 lbs, with most of the weight in his stomach, and sleeps mainly on his back and side. What would the best layering be for him?

Thanks so much for your input! It’s greatly appreciated!!!

Best,
Melissa

Hi Melissa,

Have you tried The Clean Bedroom in Manhattan? They sell the Savvy Rest and can put together different configurations in Talalay or Dunlop latex. I have been all over the city and so far this is the only place I’ve found to test out a three-layer latex mattress like you can order online.

Good luck!

We are considering a mattress from Flobeds and they have the multi and split layer style that you are looking for and might be another source to consider…

Hi MelissaRz,

Like you I hope Bob manages to bring his business back and I know he has plans in the works but they have not yet happened.

The members here who sell latex mattresses online in various types and designs are listed in post #21 here. Several of these sell various types of components designs where you can choose your own layers or even split the layers. As GW208 mentioned … Flobeds also offers a custom zoning option with their vZone mattress although it’s different from the CSD zoning design.

They would certainly give you the chance to test the overall “feel” of talalay in the designs they offer although they would be different from other designs in terms of performance and how well they matched your needs and preferences in terms of PPP. A forum search on hcmattress (you can just click this) will bring up more about them.

Pure Latex Bliss also makes all Talalay latex mattresses in several designs (mostly blended Talalay) and you can find the nearest store that sells them in their retail store finder here.

Again bear in mind that every difference in design will result in a different feel and performance even if the material itself is the same but testing several different designs can give you a general sense of which mattresses you tend to do best with (firmer/softer in the deeper layers and firmer/softer in the upper layers etc).

You can read a little more in post #14 here about the potential benefits of a thicker mattress and post #2 here has more about the benefits of having more layers in the mattress (can provide more options but can also be more complex and may not be needed).

Post #2 here has links to some of the theory about how to design for different body types and sleeping styles but these are only generic and don’t apply to any specific person. The best and simplest way to choose a design is either based on your own personal testing for PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) or with more detailed conversations with a manufacturer that you are considering. There are too many unknowns and variables for “theory at a distance” to be an effective way to make a choice.

Some of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the Long Island area are listed in post #4 here but you will need to call them to find out what they have available in their showroom and make sure they carry the types of mattresses you want to test.

The better options in the New York region are listed in post #2 here and there is a more categorized list with more complete descriptions of some of them in the northern NJ list in post #7 here.

Phoenix

Just wanted to thank everyone that responded. I went to the website for the place in Manhattan and watched the video on the Savvy Rest mattress, and spent a lot of time on the FloBed site as well. My head was spinning with information!!

I thought I was going to purchase my mattress from Sleepez.com as I liked their mattress, return policy, layer exchange policy, their price, and their mattress ticking. The talalay and Dunlop have to be the same or similar as the others, as there are only two talalay manufacturers, and a small handful of Dunlop manufacturers. What I wanted the peace of mind of, was trying it out for myself, and perhaps getting a good idea of what my custom configuration would be, so I wouldn’t have to do many exchanges by mail with sleepez. So, I gathered the family, jumped in the car at rush hour (DUH) and drove out the island to a retailer.

The salesman was awesome, and kept exchanging our layers as we tried to decide what felt good to us. I have to say it was very difficult!! I’m still not sure what I chose is what I will eventually stick with, as I just had back surgery, and flobeds’ profiler said I should have a firm bed, yet when I tried my husband’s configuration, I wasn’t happy with it (talalay soft on top, firm Dunlop, firm Dunlop). I chose talalay soft on top, then Dunlop medium, and Dunlop firm as the base. It felt good in the store, but what will feel good for 8 hours may be another thing! But at least I know that I won’t be stuck with it forever, and can change the sequence of my layers for my support, and even exchange the layers at the retailer!

After we found our configurations, then we got the quoted bill – $3,775! YIKES!! And that was WITHOUT tax, delivery or bed frame! When I told them the same bed was going for $2775 at sleepez and wasn’t subject to shipping, handling or tax, the salesman went work, trying to knock down the bill with the boss. It took a very long time, but in the end, I was happy with the price they gave me and if I need to exchange layers, I only need to drive out the island, instead of shipping the layer back. They even matched the layer exchange policy at sleepez (90 days). I felt a marginally higher price might be worth it in the end if I need to exchange layers. I also have to say that the salesman worked very hard switching out the layers time and time again, to make sure that I would feel comfortable with my decision, so I was glad that he got the sale. The only down-side to the transaction was that sleepez would deliver my bed in 2 days – and I’m being forced to wait almost 2 weeks before my mattress will be ready to be delivered. So for now, it’s back to the crappy Ikea mattress for the next two weeks, but I’m looking forward to the next 20 years in my Savvy Rest mattress – and so is my husband!! He REALLY likes it MUCH better than the Sealy Crap-o-pedic we’ve owned for only 4 years and has ruts so deep, it looks like there’s a hump in the middle of the bed!

So thank you again for all of your insight, knowledge and assistance!! It was very, very helpful!! :slight_smile: This is an AWESOME forum!! There wasn’t ONE thing the salesman said that I didn’t already know, and in fact, I think I taught HIM a few things, LOL!!

Best,
Melissa

Hi Melissa,
I am in desperate need of a new mattress. I have herniated discs and sciatica flare ups. I was planning on driving out to Long Island to check out mattresses at Sleepworks. Did you go there? Is is worth the trip from the city? If not, do you mind sharing where you went?
Thanks, Alicia

Hi MelissaRZ,

It sounds to me like you did some great research and ended up with a great quality mattress. Not only that, you knew enough about competing mattresses to use the most effective “negotiating tool” of all which is comparing a mattress to another that has a similar design and materials and were able to purchase it at a discounted price so you could still make the purchase locally based on your own “personal value equation”.

I’d say you did very well and I’m happy that the site could help you!

Most of all … congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your feedback when you’ve had the chance to sleep on it.

Phoenix