Hopelessly Confused!

Hi Tanjent,

Your link doesn’t show a foundation (only a log in page) but if you mean their foundation here then it’s built specifically for latex mattresses and it would make a good choice for any latex mattress.

Phoenix

Thanks. Sorry about the link. That was what I meant.

I think I have a plan!

Hi guys,

If anyone of you are looking for a Savvy Rest Serenity Queen Dunlop Latex Mattress, I have a new set for sale.

I purchased it and never set it up and kept it too long to return it. You could save a small fortune since new ones cost $2899.

I have it up for auction on eBay this week.

If you have any questions, just message me on eBay and I’ll answer. Again, this mattress was never taken out of the boxes it came in. It is brand new.

Thanks

Hi SavvyRester,

You can see the forum guidelines for selling a mattress in the forum rules here and normally this is only available to forum members that have some posting history on the forum but since your mattress uses high quality materials I decided to make an exception.

You will need to edit your post though and include the firmness of your layers in the description and also include the price you are asking (or any minimum or reserve price you would accept for the auction).

As long as you can make the changes before I go to bed tonight I will let the post remain on the forum.

I deleted your other post with the same information since a for sale item can only be listed once in its own topic (and not added to another topic).

Phoenix

Phoenix,

I bought a mattress! And,it wasn’t any one of the one’s that I’ve mentioned so far.

I went back to Natural Mattress Store to try the Clarity xsoft mattress (3" extra soft Talalay over 12" medium springs) one more time, then make a final decision between that and the Savvy Rest Serenity Mattress (soft T, soft D and medium dunlop on one side, soft D, medium D and medium D on the other). The downside of this particular store is they have only one person working it and the two other times I was there, it was too busy for me to get any help. But, this time, I got a lot of help and it worked!

I ended up having a Goldilocks moment (or 20). I found something that actually felt consistently better than all the other mattresses I’ve tried, and it stayed feeling good for 20-30 minutes. I could even be comfortable sleeping on either side without aggravating my foot. It is their Enlightenment Hybrid Plush which has (top to bottom):

3" “Supersoft Talalay” (xx soft)
2" medium Talalay
7" Medium Springs.

The topper is attached to the mattress but in its own zippered layer. My problem all along was that “thigh to head”, I wanted something soft, but my nerve-damaged foot wasn’t liking the feel of those beds. For some reason this works. Not sure why, but something about the really soft comfort layer works for me.

I ended up buying their foundation which cost almost double the SleepEz, but I went with it anyway, and their matress pad made of melton wool. I found a crescent-shaped side sleeper pillow that I quite liked, but I’m waiting on that. This was a lot of money for me.

Delivery is estimated for 2/19. I’ll let you know what I think. They allow returns (for a 15% re-stocking fee + charge for pickup) and free layer exchanges for 90-days. A layer exchange occurred while I was there and looked pretty painless. This was more money than I planned to spend, more than the Serenity would have cost, but it did feel appreciably better.

This process ended up being harder than buying a car! But, for me, this was a big purchase money-wise and a really important purchase sleep-wise. I wanted to like the mattress, the company and the person I bought it from. I think I might have found all 3.

Thank you so much for this site, and all of the guidance and advice you dispense to me and others.!

Jennifer

Hi TanJent,

That’s great news!

Your mattress certainly uses high quality materials and there are no weak links in the design and if the mattress is a good match for you in terms of PPP then it really doesn’t matter “why” it works for you … it only matters that it does.

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback when you receive it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

I have had my mattress for 5 days. So far, I love it!
I have trouble leaving it :slight_smile:

This weekend, while testing out wool and latex pillows for between my legs, I realized how much my old mattress had influenced my mattress testing. The nerves and muscles on my right leg and foot must have been in a hyper-irritated state because mattresses that bothered my foot and leg before, were fine now.

I also realized that I could have gotten a mattress from ESW (European Sleep Works) after all. They repeatedly had asked me if I wanted to try a Talalay topper on the Alpine bed. I always said no. Not sure why, because that was the solution that worked for me on a bed that was pretty similar.

While pillow shopping, I had a really strange experience at Savvy Rest in Berkeley. (not with Dominic, another person whose name I don’t remember). They have apparently noticed that you alert people to better “values” at some of the member stores that do online sales. This guy claimed that the product at places like SleepEz were inferior and lied or didn’t know that layer exchanges were possible. I let him know that SleepEz even allowed customers to return mattresses (Savvy Rest does not), but that I had still strongly considered buying the Serenity from Savvy Rest to give support to a local business (albeit, part of a small national chain).

Then he went off on how foolish I was to buy a mattress that had innersprings since they were easily breakable and low quality. Made me glad that I didn’t purchase my mattress from Savvy Rest.

I still might buy their body pillow, but now I’ll give SleepEz and others a closer look. :slight_smile:

Again, thanks for all of your guidance. I’ll report back again in a couple of weeks.

Jennifer

Hi TanJent,

Thanks for the update … and it’s great to hear that you and your new mattress are getting along so well :slight_smile:

[quote]While pillow shopping, I had a really strange experience at Savvy Rest in Berkeley. (not with Dominic, another person whose name I don’t remember). They have apparently noticed that you alert people to better “values” at some of the member stores that do online sales. This guy claimed that the product at places like SleepEz were inferior and lied or didn’t know that layer exchanges were possible. I let him know that SleepEz even allowed customers to return mattresses (Savvy Rest does not), but that I had still strongly considered buying the Serenity from Savvy Rest to give support to a local business (albeit, part of a small national chain).

Then he went off on how foolish I was to buy a mattress that had innersprings since they were easily breakable and low quality. Made me glad that I didn’t purchase my mattress from Savvy Rest.[/quote]

It’s unfortunate to hear about these types of comments that rely on putting down or providing misinformation about a competitor rather than building on their own strengths. Savvy Rest even sells an innerspring mattress of their own (see here).

Phoenix

Yes. He told a couple that came into bed shop that the bed with innersprings was only suitable for guests and kids and not to consider it. I think that comment may have been for my benefit.

I hope I just caught this guy on a bad day! I really liked Savvy Rest until this one bad experience.

I may have to take back my comment about loving my mattress. I’m having foot/leg problems again.
I realize that there may be no good solution to my situation.
At least the rest of me is happier with this new mattress.

Jennifer

Hi TanJent,

[quote]I may have to take back my comment about loving my mattress. I’m having foot/leg problems again.
I realize that there may be no good solution to my situation.
At least the rest of me is happier with this new mattress.[/quote]

I would give things a little time because “symptoms” can come and go and this would be especially true in the first few weeks while your mattress will be breaking in and you will be going through an adjustment period that goes with sleeping on any new mattress that is different from what you are used to.

If that’s the only issue after the first few weeks and you are sleeping well other than that then you would still have the chance to do some “fine tuning” if it turns out to be necessary.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

I’ve had my mattress for 3 weeks now, the new pillow for about 2 weeks.
This has been a real adventure.

The new mattress and pillows make a big difference. I can get a pretty good night’s sleep on the new mattress with the new, thicker pillow between my legs, but I still have some bad nights because of the nerve damage in my foot. This may be the best I can do, or I may have more tinkering to do.

Unfortunately, I cannot watch TV while on my back with my knees bent, something I could do on my old mattress. I tested out this position while on the mattress in the store and it did not bother my foot. This fact helped me to choose this mattress. On many of the other mattresses I tried out, I didn’t like the way my foot fell when sinking into the comfort layer when I was in this position.

I’ve been reading on this forum about the differences in feel between a completely independent topper and a layer of the same material and thickness added to the mattress. My 3" layer is a topper that is in its own wrapped cover that is zipped to a lower cover which contains the rest of the layers. In the store, they “simulated” this mattress with a topper on top of an equivalent mattress. I’m wondering if that is why things feel different at home.

So, I think its time for a trip back to the store to see if the “attached” topper is the source of this problem. I’m also considering a layer exchange for a “soft” rather then “supersoft” comfort layer. A firmer, but still soft comfort layer may make a difference.

As always, thanks for doing this forum. The information you provide and the discussion you host has helped me to navigate how to improve my sleep with this nerve problem. I don’t know what I would have done without it.

Jennifer

Hi TanJent,

Thanks for taking the time to share another update … I appreciate it :).

It sounds like you are most of the way there but that you still have a little way to go to reach your “ideal” and it may take a little bit of trial and error to get there.

Yes … a separate topper can act a little bit more independently and can be a little softer and more contouring compared to having the same layer inside a cover. You’ve probably read these already but there is more about this in posts #3 and #4 here and in this topic and it could be the reason for the difference.

Now that you are familiar with the “feel” of your mattress I think that a trip to the store to try some different options would be a good idea so you can get a better sense of how they compare to what you are sleeping on now.

It may also be worth trying your mattress both with and without the wool mattress pad to see if this makes any difference as well. Sometimes a thicker wool topper can also make a difference for people who are very sensitive and I know that there are many people with fibromyalgia that do very well with the more “relaxed” feel of a wool topper compared to the more resilient feel of being more directly on the latex so this may also be worth testing when you take a trip to the store.

I know it can be frustrating to try and find the best combination when you are facing challenging circumstances but if you find your ideal combination then the time and effort it takes will certainly be worth it.

I’m looking forward to any updates you have the chance to share after another trip to the store.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

I went back to Natural Mattress Store last weekend and discovered that there had been a misunderstanding in the bed that I wanted. Natural Mattress Store gave me a free delivery to correct the problem, so we’ll see if that explains some of the difference in feeling that I had.

On the day I made my decision, the person who was helping me (Sharon, awesome!), had me try out one of their latex/innserspring beds with the supersoft topper added to approximate a Hybrid Englightenment Plush. Unbeknownst to me, the bed I tried had Firm Springs and the default Hybrid Enlightenment has medium springs. So, instead of having the bottom support layer be Firm springs, I got medium.

I’m lying on the bed now and I really like it so far. I’ll let you know in 2 more weeks how I feel.

While I was in the store, it was really clear to me why a separate topper would feel different from an additional layer. The topper curved up on the sides (was more huggy). I actually think, in my case, that the attached layer may work out better, but something else to be watching.

Thanks also for pointing that my mattress pad could make a difference. When the delivery people left, I lay on the mattress without the pad and it felt a little better. What would be alternative mattress pad options to consider?

Jennifer

Hi TanJent,

I’m glad that you were able to figure this out and I hope that the new design works better for you. I’m looking forward to your next update.

Outside of your sheets and bedding there are generally 3 types of products that are used on top of your mattress but the differences between them can have “fuzzy edges” and the terminology for each of them is sometimes used interchangeably.

The first is a mattress protector. A mattress protector is designed to protect a mattress from the body oils and moisture and skin cells that we release each night and to protect against spills and accidents as well. It also protects the mattress warranty because even a small stain or a watermark that is the result of removing a stain can void a warranty . They are easily removed for cleaning and are an important part of keeping your sleeping surface in a clean and hygienic condition. They are designed to have the least possible effect on the “feel” of your mattress and are generally thinner and often more stretchy. Post #89 here has more information about the different types of mattress protectors which all have different tradeoffs between the degree of water resistance that they have, the amount of airflow they allow and their effect on sleeping temperature, and on the effect they have on the “feel” of your mattress.

Mattress pads on the other hand are thicker than mattress protectors and generally have some additional padding that is designed to change the feel of your mattress by adding some additional surface softness but can also reduce the ability of softer foam layers below them to compress and contour to the shape of the body so even though they may add some additional surface softness if they are on top of softer more contouring layers they can also create a firmer feeling as well. Some of them are also water resistant or waterproof so they can double up as both a mattress pad and as a mattress protector. Some thinner mattress pads will be similar to some thicker mattress protectors so there may be some overlap in thickness and in terminology. There is more about mattress pads in post #10 here.

Finally there are mattress toppers which are thicker yet and are designed to have a more significant effect on the pressure relief and feel of your mattress. They aren’t designed to protect a mattress … only to change how it feels and performs and to add additional softness and pressure relief. Some thinner toppers will be similar to some thicker mattress pads so again you can see some overlap in thickness and terminology.

If you have a mattress that is a good “match” for you in terms of PPP and your mattress doesn’t need any fine tuning either with a mattress pad or a topper then a mattress protector that has the least possible effect on the feel and performance of the mattress is generally the best choice.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

It has been about 5 weeks since my last post.
I’m afraid that I discovered that I am most comfortable on the floor. A little dispiriting.
I love my new mattress everywhere but my right foot…

I did test this mattress (and all others that I seriously considered) while lying on my back with knees bent. This was my TV-watching position on my old bed becuase it didn’t bother the spot on my heel with all of the nerve problems. I bought the new bed, did a layer exchange for Firm Springs (what I originally intended to order), then waited to adjust… My nerve damage is worsening, not improving. I can’t tell if it is the new mattress, the pillow that I use between my legs (a thick wool over latex), or something else entirely. Anyway, about two weeks ago, instead of taking a weekend nap on my bed, I decided to try the floor. I fell asleep almost instantly. I’ve slept overnight on the floor three times since then. Each time, I slept with more (foot) comfort than I have in months.

But, I’m out of my layer exchange period. Have any advice on what to do next? I’m assuming that purchase of a firmer comfort layer will be several hundred dollars. And, what would I do with my old layer? It isn’t covered once it is outside of the mattress.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jennifer

Hi TanJent,

I don’t know if the worsening nerve issue is more of a medical issue or more of a mattress issue but the first thing I would suggest (and you probably don’t need me to tell you this) would be a visit to your doctor to rule out the possibility that it is a medical issue that may be getting worse which might have little to do with your mattress.

With these types of more complex issues the only way to know whether any changes would be effective will be based on your own trial and error and personal experience. While it seems clear that your heel does better with firmer layers I don’t know if a firmer latex topper would have the results you are looking for or how well you would sleep on it if you tried it. If you do decide to try this then it may be worth calling and asking them if they can make an exception and extend the trial period and allow you to try a firmer layer and then keep the one that works best for you and return the other one. If this isn’t possible then you would still have the option of buying a firmer layer (and there would be less risk if the topper you purchase has a good return/exchange policy) and then if it works for you storing the old layer and using it if and when you need it (for guests etc) or selling it on ebay or craigslist or to someone you know in your social circle that needd a softer topper.

Given your experience on the floor though it may be worth trying a strip of stiff carpeting across the foot of your bed (under the sheets and mattress protector) or even a strip of some type of thin paneling material (perhaps wrapped with fabric) to “mimic” the firmness of the floor under your heels and lower leg to see how it works for you.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

That is a genius idea to try stiff carpeting or thin paneling. I especially like that idea, because the rest of me feels great on the bed. I’ll let you know what happens.

I’ve also contacted Natural Mattress Store to see if I can convince them of one more layer exchange. For about 3 weeks, I was sleeping on a mattress with springs that I didn’t order, so maybe they’ll be flexible and add that time back to my layer exchange period.

Thank you so much!

Jennifer

Hi TanJent,

I’m certainly interested in finding out how it works out for you if you decide to try the firm “strip” on your mattress. Sometimes unusual challenges need unusual solutions :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Phoenix,

A lot has happened since I last posted. The night of your last post, I did stick a wooden bed tray at the foot of my mattress. It, and other things I tried were not successful because the comfort layer was too soft to keep it stable. I went back to sleeping on the floor. Second, after a series of neurology tests, turns out that my foot problems are not from a pinched nerve. Probably related to something else I have which is auto-immune. So, my theories about pillows and mattresses are not supported. But, back to the “mattress” at hand.

I went back to The Natural Mattress Store and had another wonderful experiience with Sharon who spent a fair amount of time and thought on the best ways to resolve my problem. I do have time left on my comfort exchange period. It got reset when they figured out the error they initially made in my mattress composition. We tried pillows, padding and different mattress combinations. We tried every type of pillow, cardboard, a wooden insert for her desk, sheepskin over the wooden insert. That last one was definitely the best.

My configuration was Firm Springs, Medium Talalay (2") and a 3" supersoft Talalay layer in its own chamber. After finding out what worked for me, she suggested 2 layer exchanges. The middle layer is now 2 1" layers of firm dunlop, the comfort layer is now 3" soft Talalay. I also have started on a new medicine that helps with the nerve problems. I got the new layers on Thursday and they are working out great. I’m back on the mattress and off of the floor. For now…

Thx for the help, and I’ll let you know what happens from here.

Jennifer

Hi TanJent,

Thanks for the update … I appreciate it :).

It’s also great to see the type of service and attention that The Natural Mattress Store is providing you!

It’s good to hear that things seem to be working better for you with your new layers and possibly your new medication as well and I hope that your improved experience continues over the longer term as well.

I’m looking forward to any additional updates you have the chance to share over time.

Phoenix