Hotel Collection from Macys

My wife and I visited Macys over the weekend and after almost trying all of their beds, we felt that the Hotel collection Vitagenic Luxury Firm Luxetop was to our exact liking. However, at $4500 (king), it’s way overpriced. I later found my notes from 2 months prior and this was the exact same bed we liked at the last visit.

I had a chance to go to Flexus in Covina today and spoke to Henry, who was a really nice and knowledgeable guy.

Out of the beds, I liked the 9" (6" Dunlop 31 ILD and 3" Talalay 22-24 ILD). It did however feel a little squishy. I didn’t like it as much as the Hotel Collection one.

1. Is there any way to recreate the Hotel collection bed? Or something that comes close to this?
  2. I may be allergic to latex. Does Talalay or Dunlop have the same properties to cause allergies?

Thanks!

Hi kenzo,

The first place I would start your mattress research is the tutorial post here which has all the basic informaton, steps, and guidelines that cn help you make the best possible choices … and avoid the worst ones.

Besides testing a mattress for PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) one of the most important parts of a mattress purchase is knowing the specifics of all the layers and components so you can identify any weak links in the mattress in terms of durability and make more meaningful comparisons to other mattresses in terms of quality and value. I would never make the assumption that more costly mattresses are more durable or that longer warranties have any bearing on the useful life of a mattress.

The Vitagenic only provides information about 2 layers which only total 2" of the mattress and there is no information about the rest of the layers. While both 5 lb memory foam and talalay latex are both high quality materials … this has little relevance unless you know the quality/durability of the rest of the layers. No matter how a mattress feels in a showroom … if it uses lower quality materials (especially in the upper layers of the mattress) then premature softening and the compression or breakdown of the lower quality materials can lead to the more rapid loss of comfort and support much too quickly and this isn’t covered by a warranty.

In terms of the “material value” of the mattress … there are many mattresses that are significantly less than 1/2 the cost that use greater amounts of higher cost materials such as 5 lb gel memory foam or latex. IMO … the mattress would need to be significantly better in terms of PPP and durability to justify spending this much on a mattress where the materials inside it don’t justify the substantial cost.

By most definitions or based on most people’s personal value equation … this mattress would not be good “value” at all and without knowing the materials inside it would also be a very risky purchase in terms of durability.

Before you purchase any mattress though it’s important to make sure you know the specifics of every layer inside it so you don’t end up buying a mattress that only feels great for a year or two.

You can read more about “matching” one mattress to another in post #9 here but in most cases there will be differences between two mattresses in terms of their design or materials and the only way to “match” a mattress is based on side by side testing for PPP because it’s not likely you will find one mattress that is a duplicate of another except if they use exactly the same layers, components, and design (which isn’t likely) or if they are “equivalent” in your perceptions.

There is more about latex allergies in post #2 here but in most case the type of latex allergy that is more common is a contact allergy and doesn’t apply to either the type of latex used in mattresses and isn’t an issue because there is no contact with the latex in a mattress.

In the very rare cases of a true latex allergy (type 1) that can trigger a systemic immune response (or even anaphylactic shock similar to how some people react to a bee sting) then it would be best to avoid natural latex completely in any form but this would also involve avoiding any close contact with natural latex as part of your whole lifestyle not just in a mattress. In this case it wouldn’t matter if the latex was Dunlop or Talalay … only whether it included natural rubber (synthetic rubber would generally be fine because it doesn’t have the same proteins or chemical composition as natural rubber).

Phoenix